Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Key date Mercury___"NOT"

corvair

Had an hour or two to get out with the Deus across from the house in a cut corn field. Was running a 12khz coin program that is good for trashy areas and this place is very trashy.
About 10 minutes into the hunt found this mercury, dirt was caked on and frozen but I could tell was an older coin due to the typical edge wear pattern we all see on mercury dimes.
Put the dime in my finds pouch and went on detecting. About an hour later I found a smashed silver plated thimble. At that point I was getting pretty cold as the wind had really started to blow and decided to walk back to the house.

My wife asked if I had found anything showed her the thimble and the mercury dime and teased it would be cool if it was a 1916 D mercury. Turned the warm water on at the kitchen sink tap and was gently rinsing the dirt off the reverse side and it revealed a "D" mint-mark. Turning the dime over I started rinsing the front and I saw 1916 and I lost it!! Man I started hollering for joy and kept saying.., I can't believe it, I can' believe it, then my wife comes over and says let me see it, let me see it. OK, here it comes..., IMHO, by the way that mint mark is an "S", not a 'D".

Dejectedly, I sighed, bummer! Man the old eyes aren't what they used to be. Anyway, thought you guys might like this story. Happy detecting, God Bless!

2pqnat1.jpg
[/img]
2s10qpj.jpg
[/img]

It was probably a "D" and her negative mojo changed it on you. Close, but no cigar. Still nice to find silver. Thanks for sharing.

Don