Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Kicked out of city park in upstate NY

tomosgood

Been hunting this park for about 2 years now. Lot of times the parks people would stop by to see what I have found no problem we talked about how old the park was and asked me what was the best thing I found so far. Well today Sunday was detecting same park that I've doing for a few years a car pulls up next to me 2 people get out from the parks department and told me I could not detect anymore his boss told them if anyone was detecting in the parks to have them leave because of holes not covered. I have only been detecting for 2 1/2 years love this hobby met a good veteran metal detectorist that told me how important it is to fill all my holes. Was proud of the way I left the parks each trip. It only takes one lazy person to ruin it for the ones that try hard to leave the park Better than it was.

The audacity of some people. You are just doing your best to dig out alllll the old relics in that park and make great memories and these stinkin park people want to mess with you! I cannot believe this Tom.

Wow. Hate to hear that. You might want to call the parks department and see if you can get permission from someone there. Worth a shot anyway. I've done that a couple of times and actually received a "thank you" for asking and was allowed to detect.

Check the City laws and Park Rules and Regulations. Someone may have over stepped their bounds. People let a little authority go to their heads.

Welcome to my nightmare as I lost about 80% of my sites do to clowns with shovels. The dealer in my area even sells these shovels to the newbees? How stupid can you be! He won't be selling too many detectors when the rest of are county is shut down to detecting. No one will buy detectors if there is nowhere to use them.

Get used to this trend of NO METAL DETECTING signs popping up. I put the blame squareley on TV shows like 'diggers' and greedy MD companies more than willing to feed this new wave of no clue newbies.

I've seen so many butchered up plugs out there, pulled out plugs and uncovered holes that park keepers also see. Hate to say this but park keepers are just doing their job. At some point, enough is enough, they can't have idiots with full blown shovels digging up and ruining park lawns.

I'd guess in a few years its gonna be only be private property available for detecting like in the UK and other countries.
This used to be a good hobby, enjoy park hunting while you all can. The writing is on the wall.

ironsight said:
Get used to this trend of NO METAL DETECTING signs popping up. I put the blame squareley on TV shows like 'diggers' and greedy MD companies more than willing to feed this new wave of no clue newbies.

I've seen so many butchered up plugs out there, pulled out plugs and uncovered holes that park keepers also see. Hate to say this but park keepers are just doing their job. At some point, enough is enough, they can't have idiots with full blown shovels digging up and ruining park lawns.

I'd guess in a few years its gonna be only be private property available for detecting like in the UK and other countries.
This used to be a good hobby, enjoy park hunting while you all can. The writing is on the wall.
I wonder how many $59 detectors were sold last Christmas? We'll give it to little Johnny to get him out of the house to dig Civil War relics in our local parks to put him through college. These reality detecting shows are the beginning of the end.

Parks or infact any council owned land over here in the UK has been a no go area for years,i guess it could have stemmed from folks not filling holes in etc,but they always mention the health and safety concern,its much easier to say put a cheap 'no detecting' notice up rather than stand the risk of someone suing the councils for possible large sums of money.

Its much easier just to say 'NO' must admit have seen a rise in youngster buying starter machines after seeing the news media and also these non real life detecting progs on the TV,they portray that with every turn of the spade you will find a gold hoard in a old oak chest,when in reality this is not the case,then you will find a massive amount of starter machines usually straight after christmas as they have lost interest appearing on Ebay.

Iam in the Hudson Valley and twice came across holes lately from some clueless, careless detectorist.

I posted on the other forum where it seems every new guy with a detector ends up that if it didn't stop the trail cam would be coming out to catch him in action..
I didn't say what I would do with the video, and I don't know if it is even legal because of some sort of invasion of privacy rules, but hopefully they think twice now..
I told them to contact me and I would help them learn how to dig plugs properly, no hard feelings but so far haven't heard anything..

it's funny that they don't kick out drug users or dealers considering they leave trash baggies and needles all over.
Their "hobby" is just as obvious as ours since they are there sitting in their cares with random cars pulling up to them every once in awhile.

I guess detectorist are easier targets.

With this big influx of folks buying starter detectors,and not really having any clue how on how to dig holes correctly and even more important filling them in again in parks etc,why dont detector manufactures and also detector outlets include a 'handbook' with every detector sold on how to do basic things like filling holes and disposing of rubbish.

Of course this is just a suggestion,it may or may not help us improve our relationship with the land owners or local govering bodies :thumbup:

Remember just like elementary school one bad apple the rest of the class gets punished.

Joel-Winnipeg said:
Remember just like elementary school one bad apple the rest of the class gets punished.

Agree! I always worry about holes that might cause problems! Cook Co Forest Preserve around Chicago don't allow metal detecting! I even ask that I will pick up any garbage in my garbage bag in the woods during metal detecting and still not allow! There is all papers, plastic fork, soda cans all over picnic areas and fishing lines on lake's shore! Picnic still allow and no metal detecting don't make sense!

I've never had trouble in a park here in CT but I just won't pull out the detector if I see more than a few people. Definately drive on if I see any park employees.
Problem I have is,, try to find a park or school that hasn't been pounded out. This is a relatively small state. I've had the 705 for 3 months with the coin killer digger coil and have not hit ONE silver yet. I've learned how to use it well. Just so many have hit these parks n schools. I'm not one for doorknocking but I've got to do something soon. If I were starting out now I wouldn't bother buying a machine.
Dog

Sorry to hear about you being denied to detect. However, ironsight nailed it with his post. My bro that I hunt with said to me, "In ten years from now, this will be a thing of the past. Nobody will be able to detect the local parks around here as they will be off limits"

Joel-Winnipeg is correct - that one bad apple closed down all your parks for you. I had that happen in the next town over from me. The police officer was just doing his job and I don't blame him. I blame the moron that had a shovel in the school field leaving holes. On top of it, this detectorist started arguing with the school officials that he had a right.....Yep, he had a right - to shut down the whole town to detecting. The officer that informed me I could no longer hunt the school field, (use to hold carnivals back in the 1800's here) said he thinks it is a neat hobby however he had to enforce "no metal detecting" on all of the town / school properties. Yes, there is even an ordinance on the books. This is so sad because 25-30 years ago I would of never of thought it would come to this magnitude. But here we are and its happening.

ironsight said:
Get used to this trend of NO METAL DETECTING signs popping up. I put the blame squarely on TV shows like 'diggers' and greedy MD companies more than willing to feed this new wave of no clue newbies.

Digdoggy said:
I've never had trouble in a park here in CT but I just won't pull out the detector if I see more than a few people. Definately drive on if I see any park employees.
Problem I have is,, try to find a park or school that hasn't been pounded out. This is a relatively small state. I've had the 705 for 3 months with the coin killer digger coil and have not hit ONE silver yet. I've learned how to use it well. Just so many have hit these parks n schools. I'm not one for doorknocking but I've got to do something soon. If I were starting out now I wouldn't bother buying a machine.
Dog
If you don't like door knocking and you have a spare machine let the people call you. Simply make a flyer that says. "Ever want to try metal detecting? I have an extra metal detector you can use while we detect your property. It's lots of fun. Call Jr. at BR549"

Mega B said:
With this big influx of folks buying starter detectors,and not really having any clue how on how to dig holes correctly and even more important filling them in again in parks etc,why dont detector manufactures and also detector outlets include a 'handbook' with every detector sold on how to do basic things like filling holes and disposing of rubbish.

Of course this is just a suggestion,it may or may not help us improve our relationship with the land owners or local govering bodies :thumbup:

Made me think of that Johnny Cash song..

Johnny Cash - One Piece At A Time Lyrics | MetroLyrics
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2riRAGzNzvQ

Well, it's a '49, '50, '51, '52, '53, '54, '55, '56
'57, '58' 59' (tractor
It's a '60, '61, '62, '63, '64, '65, '66, '67
'68, '69, '70 Tractor

earthlypotluck said:
Sorry to hear about you being denied to detect. However, ironsight nailed it with his post. My bro that I hunt with said to me, "In ten years from now, this will be a thing of the past. Nobody will be able to detect the local parks around here as they will be off limits"

Joel-Winnipeg is correct - that one bad apple closed down all your parks for you. I had that happen in the next town over from me. The police officer was just doing his job and I don't blame him. I blame the moron that had a shovel in the school field leaving holes. On top of it, this detectorist started arguing with the school officials that he had a right.....Yep, he had a right - to shut down the whole town to detecting. The officer that informed me I could no longer hunt the school field, (use to hold carnivals back in the 1800's here) said he thinks it is a neat hobby however he had to enforce "no metal detecting" on all of the town / school properties. Yes, there is even an ordinance on the books. This is so sad because 25-30 years ago I would of never of thought it would come to this magnitude. But here we are and its happening.

Youtube is full of people hunting parks and other public places with long handled shovels. I used to try and police them and would tell them to please not use those shovels. I would get so many replies back like"it's my park and I can use what I want" or "I've been using a shovel for years and nobody has ever said anything" I've been involed on forums arguing the point. I would like a to see a forum here named "Post link to bad detecing practices here" This way as a group maybe talk some sense into these people. But it can't be done because most videos have advertisements.

ironsight said:
Get used to this trend of NO METAL DETECTING signs popping up. I put the blame squarely on TV shows like 'diggers' and greedy MD companies more than willing to feed this new wave of no clue newbies.

GKMan said:
Iam in the Hudson Valley and twice came across holes lately from some clueless, careless detectorist.

I posted on the other forum where it seems every new guy with a detector ends up that if it didn't stop the trail cam would be coming out to catch him in action..
I didn't say what I would do with the video, and I don't know if it is even legal because of some sort of invasion of privacy rules, but hopefully they think twice now..
I told them to contact me and I would help them learn how to dig plugs properly, no hard feelings but so far haven't heard anything..

it's funny that they don't kick out drug users or dealers considering they leave trash baggies and needles all over.
Their "hobby" is just as obvious as ours since they are there sitting in their cares with random cars pulling up to them every once in awhile.

I guess detectorist are easier targets.
I think I know the site you are talking about. With out saying the name does it have a section that list forums by state?

That really wouldn't be a bad idea. Teaching a old house owner with the spare md.
My best technique is hitting the woods along paths and following old stone walls left all over our woods in New England. Also patches of woods next to parks n schools. You don't know what was there 150 yrs ago. Its that kind of seeking and hunting that keeps me going. Right know in summer everything is overgrown so I've been sadly trying a spent school nearby. Autumn is coming and the woods will open up again. You don't get a lot of hits but most every hunt gives something interesting. Dug a nice colonial flat button in woods along a path right off a park. Parks themselves? They've been hit hard over the last 30 or so yrs. Here anyway, I've worked so hard at a good looking out of the way small park and found someone knew how to discriminate. Twist tops n trash and 11 cents. 1 clad dime and 1 lincoln.
Still I hope they don't right an ordinance against mding here. There are those areas at even the hunted out parks at the far edges and paths into the woods that can pay off. You have to think outside the box. Put on a pair of mucker boots and bust into the bush where they don't even see you.
Dog

As with most successful endeavors in Life, its all about appearance and timing! Like a marriage proposal! :rofl:

"Getting booted" is just one of those things that teaches a person these skills...very important lesson for us that ply the craft, and should be considered an honor to get booted at least once! See 'Tom_in_Ca" for advice regarding same...all this said, there aint nobody that cant tell me I cant walk this Planet as a free man imbibing in my low impact sport!...Oh sure, they may tell me that on ONE particular day, but tomorrow is different! It may be rainy and dark or on a holiday for instance...:thumbup:

Junior Samples sure hit it big! Due to timing and appearance! :beers: Its good to go through this Life like a ghost, a 'willow the wisp', a fleeting vapor, puff of smoke, unseen by most of the living and invisible to the rest...good trait to have and develop to its fullest effect in all matters dealing with authority figures....not only for detecting either...this is how cougars, bears, and coyotes live amongst us...leaving nothing but an occasional track to the keenly observant eye. Let the noobs get caught and prosecuted...too bad they never developed the skill..:thumbup: Full Disclosure: I get up and hunt super early and cant be out in the Sun, so that helps.
Mud.