Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Kicked out of the park

I bet you that there is wording about "defacement" or "destruction" or "altering" or "vandalism" or something. But notice in each of those cases, the IMPLICIT effect is, the END result. Ie.: if you leave no trace of your presense, then you haven't "vandalized" or "destructed" anything, now have you?

But you know as well as I, that we will always loose that debate with a busy-body, because of the temporary evil process of extracting our finds. No matter how much we sugar coat it, or in fact truly do leave no trace of our presense: it can and will just turn into a semantics battle over whether or not your plug will turn brown, or whether or not you packed it enough, etc.... And let's face it: even if it's true that you DO leave no trace, put yourself in their shoes: the next "yahoo" that wants to detect, yet perhaps isn't as neat as you, can till say to the person objecting: Goldmanjace is allowed to hunt here, so why can't I? And really now, think of it: do you think gardeners, cops, etc.... want to get into that battle of how long the length of a probe or trowel is, who stomped their plug more firmly back into place verses the other guy, etc...

So it's hard to blame them.

Here's what I'd do: avoid busy bodies like that. If you gripe and try to get yourself sanctioned, fight it, etc... you may find yourself getting a rule WRITTEN, to "address your pressing issue". Why not just avoid that one lookie-lou? Can't you figure out what shift he works that park, and just go at other times? Hunt 5 to 7am on a Saturday, or after dusk, etc..... As much as I'd love to say there's a way to get everyone to "love" us, I'm afraid if someone thinks they can and should be able to look forward to that kind of reception, they've probably picked the wrong hobby. Because let's face it: we're in an odd hobby and draws the stares of the curious, and has implications and assumptions that *could* be made.

Well you might have a point then. Either go to private property with permission, or hunt only sandy beaches (where holes are not an issue).

But really now, I say this in jest, because of course a quick look at ANY metal detecting forum on-line (particularly turf hunting forums like explorer, etrac, etc...) shows that OODLES of people are hunting park turf, all the time! How do you think they are doing it?? Because I gaurantee you: in every city everywhere in the USA (even those who are posting on forums) is those same "destruction" and/or digging type verbage. The trick is not to think you're going to change those (because you're not), but to avoid lookie-lous, to begin with.

I mean for pete's sake, I see people go at high noon, on the day when the lawn mower/landscaper crew is there servicing that park, and then wonder why they got a "scram"? I mean, sheesk, what's next, wear neon yellow reflective vest, and look for parks with signs saying "metal detecting welcome here?" I do almost all my park turf hunting after 5pm, and/or at low traffic times, just to avoid busy-bodies. NOT because I think there's any rules against it (and no, I don't believe damage and destruction clauses apply to us, if we leave no traces), but because I DON'T WANT TO RUN INTO killjoys.

Think of metal detecting a little like picking your nose: Everyone does it, and no one cares ....... so long as you're discreet. Ie.: no one cares UNTIL you ask. Sorry, but this is just the odd-ball hobby we're in. If someone is really bothered by this, and can't keep a low profile, then yes, this may be the wrong hobby for them, or they're going to have to stick to private property.

Jbow, Notice that according to goldmanjace, the complaint came from the "supervisor of parks". As such, it may not be a good idea to think you could simply go above him (to the mayor, police, etc...). Because, let's face it: it's that supervisor's job to interpret, as he sees fit. He is tasked with that very job, of implementing the rules to fit a variety of situations he encounters in the field. It would have to be a much more agregious mis-interpretation than this, to think you're going to get an entire department's supervisor over-turned. Because let's face it: the councilman or commissioner you advice goldmanjace to go talk to, even if they did anything to begin with, will simply talk to that supervisor and hear his side of the story, right? And guess what's going to happen the second the supervisor tells them "he was out there with a trowel" (or leshe or screwdriver or whatever)? Of COURSE no one's going to argue with the dept. supervisor, the minute you are admitted to be digging (no matter how much a person promises to "cover it up").

I think the only thing raising a stink like this is going to do, is get rules written (to be more specific in the future), where none existed before. Ie.: just something "pressing" for them to need to address, causing them to invent new rules.

Thus I think the best thing it to avoid that fellow, and go at more discreet low traffic times, when that person's not on staff driving around.

norman norman norman .... tsk tsk. Are you suggesting that where detecting is allowed, but "digging" isn't: To just cover your holes (ie.: leave no trace) , don't be seen in the midst of retrieval, and thus be ok? OH no, say it isn't so! :nerd:

My Step Father was the Head of Planing and Development for the Houston Parks Dept before he retired. The Parks broad at that time believed everyone has the right to use the parks. "JUST DO NOT HURT THE GRASS" was Frank's Battle Cry.