Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

kids while detecting

kneedet

How do most of you handle them? I had the most desturbing thing happen today. Usually you get the kid in the park that says "what are you doing",one even proceeded to tell me I am stealing other peoples stuff.Today I had alittle girl about four or five say the same line with proceeding with "why" as usual,then she kept trying to grab my Lesche tool and detector.and I told her nicely please dont do that, and asked where her parents were. well then she kept tugging on my hand and arm and asked if i wanted to go with her?WOW and people wonder how so many kids disapear. At this point I decided it was a good time to pack it up as she was also starting to kick my new detector. I just cant believe people anymore and its a shame what our world has come to. Some people just don't deserve the right to have kids IMO. What do most ofyou do when your approached by kids while detecting?

I have had children stick their hands in the hole as I was using my digger.... God forbid you should injure a child.The new trend in Law Enforcement is Child endangerment.... Society has deemed this is their choice in enforcement...... just like for a long time it was all DUI enforcement because Society said so. It is also a BIG no no for a child to touch you, or you to touch a child. It would be very hard to explain why you had a "stranger" child by the hand no matter who initiated the situation........

We have to remember we are the adult in presence, and it is our responsibility to see that the child isn't injured, threatened, or place ourselves in a situation we don't want to be in.

Elton said:
I have had children stick their hands in the hole as I was using my digger.... God forbid you should injure a child.The new trend in Law Enforcement is Child endangerment.... Society has deemed this is their choice in enforcement...... just like for a long time it was all DUI enforcement because Society said so. It is also a BIG no no for a child to touch you, or you to touch a child. It would be very hard to explain why you had a "stranger" child by the hand no matter who initiated the situation........

We have to remember we are the adult in presence, and it is our responsibility to see that the child isn't injured.
I totally agree,and I blame the childrens parents for letting that happen to begin with. I'm sure just about every one who metal detects has had a similar experience.

i ignore them and say Im busy- theres a certain tone you can use without yelling that kind of lets them know you dont want them around. I often find with this approach they will quickly get bored and leave- if they insist on getting too close etc,I might say dont do that and or plug the hole and walk away. After they leave I will head back to where I was working. If they are a little older I might give them a one of two word , looking for coin, but again trying to ignore them. Usually if you dont give them eye contact, and stay very neutral they walk away in my experience. I am shocked at some of the parenting styles I see going on out there these days. CO

What? I can't hear you with these headphones on! That's my new line. And yes, some parents are less then bright, especially on the beach.

i do parks early morn when nobody is around....if people show up i do what you did ,i leave....the parks and playgrounds are kinda more for kids use anyway.....you did the right thing by leaving and avoiding controversy....at the beach sometimes i will entertain an inquisative kid by telling them what size coin im digging up prior to digging it...thier faces light up you just performed magic.....i dont even mind if they tag along for a few minutes...its when they get to clingy and start digging you holes before your get a chance to.... ive had parents just as interested as the kids which i dont mind either as long as it take up more than 5 minutes of my time....one time on the beach i was digging up ww2 munitions schrappnle i gave a kid a few pieces of it ,his dad and him were thrilled....

Early morning here too. Just getting started with detecting after wanting to try it for years. I really wanted few distractions while trying to learn my detector,so I go early. Working well so far :thumbup:

i had decided to avoid them completely after that,but i think i will try some of your ideas and try early. And if i run into the same then I will stop going to them

I agree with bootyhoundpa. I will entertain the kids for a little bit and talk to parents. I keep a smile on my face and pack up leaving on a high note for everybody. HH. Matt

Yeah, I roll like bootyhound and matthias too...totlots are an easy and fun way to wake up hunting before you hit the dirt or beach..theres gold there, and all sorts of stuff. I also play that "cant hear you" headphone game with the seldom encountered inquisitive. Every once in a while, the early morning beer can hunters want to approach and ask something, but I tend to avoid them, they are full grown adults and on hard times, so who knows what they are really after? I talk to all the cops and park workers I see and thank them for their service. I will talk to the early morning dog walkers on the beach if they approach, but really steer clear of the kids on account of the risk for disaster. Thats a shame, but a fellow cant go easily through this life without being aware of things.