Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Killer B's

A

Anonymous

These headphones have been modded, or messed with, the volume control dosent work, it's a new one, was changed, the tech just changed it, did not mess with wiring, the phones are full blast all the time, i checked switch, it works perfect, what's happening???
I figure there's some wire in the wrong place, but it looks too simple for that, but ????
Any ideas????:?:

I don't want to open mine so let me ask you some questions.

Which Killer B is this one? Wasp with sound limiter or ... ?

The switch at the bottom left is for ? (mono/stereo, or sound limiter (if it is the Wasp).

Cable on the bottom right, is that going to the other ear piece or to detector?

Original K'b 3 yr old, bottom, is stereo mono switch, middle with 2 wires is vol switch, wires on bottom(3 of them) from detector, 2 going out on the side , to other earpiece, Tnx for reply:)

I opened up my Jimmy Sierras with the sound limiter. I sure paid alot of money for a low tech headset that work great.

The sound limiter is nothing but a toggle switch that switches the sound signal
thru a resistor when the limiter(toggle) is turned on. The resistor is soldered across the terminals of each speaker. Resistor value was wiped off so you couldn't tell what was used.

Hope this helps. You can probably just solder a resistor as mentioned above across the speakers without using a on/off switch and be satisfied. I plan on doing this to my RATPHONES.

Actual cost in high tech headphones are cheap.
I could duplicate Jimmy's Ratphones Killer b etc. for cheap.

2 high ohm speakers $8.00
2 mini 12mm volume control pots $3.00
2 control knobs $1.00
1 toggle switch $4.00
pro-ears headset (used buy Rats, killer b's etc) $19.00 from shooting hunting stores (http://www.pro-ears.com/industrial.htm)
Guitar cord with plug, or buy a headset at a garage sale for $2.00 for the cord.

Some foam, knitting pattern plastic, wire, solder and spare time

Why can't someone come out with a headset with an add'l TONE controllike found on the Tesoro Tejon? Some detectors tones sound miserable--White's: annoying, gives me the wrap the detector around the tree feeling after while, Tesoro and Minelab: livable, Fisher: really pleasant sound.........everyone likes a different tone and some folks can hear different tones much better.......

Are you sure it is a resistor and not a varistor?

it's been a month or so since I opened up the Jimmy's. I rcall it being dark brown with one wide silver band at one end?

Bugar,

Assuming this is a single volume control headset, there are several
possibilities.

1. Incorrect wiring between the stereo plug and the center pin of the
volume control. I don't know what color code Killer B's uses, but
one wire is the left channel, the other is the right channel and the third
is the common.

The wire that needs to go to the center pin of the volume control
is the common (assuming single volume control for both earphones).
If you have an Ohm meter, check for continuity between the center pin
of the volume control and the long metal sleeve of the phone jack. You should read
practically 0 Ohms. If not, that is your problem. Find out which of the other
two wires connect to the stereo jack sleeve (the red or the white wire). My guess
would be the white wire, but check it. Once you found which it is, switch it with the
black wire going to the volume control center pin.

Another possibility is a defective volume control which has a short between the
two pins being used in the volume control. Again, you'd need an Ohm meter to check it.

Last possibility is that the tech replaced the old volume control with one that has
much lower resistance than is supposed to.

If your headphone has dual volume controls let me know as the wiring would not be
right in that case.

Hope this helps.

Don't mess your's up foolin around with the mess i got, tnx.
Boog:twodetecting:

Randy at Detect USA who makes the Rats offered to modify my set with a limiter. So those near surface coins don't blow my ears off. He says he has a better way od doing it than just putting in a varisitor.
So I send mine off to him. I really like the Ratphones, moreso after the mods and will leave the Jimmys sit as spares.

Bugar,

Assuming this is a single volume control headset, there are several
possibilities.

1. Incorrect wiring between the stereo plug and the center pin of the
volume control. I don't know what color code Killer B's uses, but
one wire is the left channel, the other is the right channel and the third
is the common.

The wire that needs to go to the center pin of the volume control
is the common (assuming single volume control for both earphones).
If you have an Ohm meter, check for continuity between the center pin
of the volume control and the long metal sleeve of the phone jack. You should read
practically 0 Ohms. If not, that is your problem. Find out which of the other
two wires connect to the stereo jack sleeve (the red or the white wire). My guess
would be the white wire, but check it. Once you found which it is, switch it with the
black wire going to the volume control center pin.

Another possibility is a defective volume control which has a short between the
two pins being used in the volume control. Again, you'd need an Ohm meter to check it.

Last possibility is that the tech replaced the old volume control with one that has
much lower resistance than is supposed to.

If your headphone has dual volume controls let me know as the wiring would not be
right in that case.

Hope this helps.

I'll check it out in the morning and let you know, it is a single volume set, tnx:twodetecting::usaflag::usmc:

Can't tell by picture. Do you have duel volume controls, one on each side? Think you said just one volume control. Check the pot by setting the rotation to center. read ohms from center post to both sides. the lower side is ground and the higher ohm side is the hot from detector. center position should be the output for speakers. Hope this make sense.

Just which one of these wires do i need to move to get the volume workin?? I'm dumber'n a box o rocks, and fraid i'll screw em up bigtime. Thanks for all your help :) Iv'e shuffled em around a couple times and can't get it sorted out,Thanks

Once you also buy the adapter you would also need. I think the high end prices are reasonable for most people.
And there is a variable tone frequency now :)

Using the picture you posted above, do this:

1) Remove the black wire from the middle of the pot and connect it to the unused side of the switch.

2) Remove the red wire from the speaker (leave the white) and move it to the middle of the pot.

3) Remove the red wire on the left side of the switch (coming from the cross wire) and move to the white wire on the speaker.

Don't heat that switch too much.

But i did everything as prescribed, they didn't even work then, someone has screwed with the wiring somehow, i can't figure it out, i sent them to B&B and they put new vol switch on, had new cups put on, the tech put new switch same as it was before, wasn't his job to trobleshoot, he did as he was spose to, good guy, but i'm really gettin tired of full vol, can only use them on 1 detector, got too much $ in em to get nother repair, may just toss em and forget bout it, my old fones work good enough i guess, thanks a lot everyone.
Bugar:(