Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Kinda a once type find, sorta

Ronstar

Managed to score an unanticipated permission yesterday. Wifey was FaceBooking a friend and mentioned I would sure like to hunt around their place. She responded come on out!!!
Original home was turn of the last century and burned down in the 20s and a new home was rebuilt. Place burned yet again in the 70s (I believe) as did a barn a couple years earlier. Actually there have been a couple wild land fires, one which I responded to in the ‘00s. The husband gave me a quick tour of the area and I set off swinging.
Down where the barn used to be I started getting into a lot of iron and square nails, one piece of iron looked like a strap and was identified as an original door hinge (most likely blacksmithed as it was heavy). Got a good penny hit at 6-7” and pulled a 1929S out, love that bluish green patina. Kept on working a wandering pattern just getting a feel for the area.
On an upward pushing hillside towards the newer house (this one built in the 80s) I got a nice quarter hit at 6-8”, hoping for silver but pulled up a black disc about the size of a quarter. It was rough textured and zero definition on either side. Once I was back home it would not clean up, even tried soaking in vinegar and salt and scrubbing with the toothbrush. I finally got a small flake of the black stuff to chip off and could see a reeded edge, score! Now what is it?
I tried every thing I could think of or find suggestions to do. Since not sure what the black stuff is hard to determine what to do. Finally decided to use a dental pick on a corner and got a spec of shiny, well thats a good sign! Decided to take the brass brush and work the area where the date would be and after quite a bit of light brushing I started to see Washington’s outline. Slowly the date began to appear and finally I could make out 1967.
Sat and thought for a minute and called the folks and asked when did the barn burn? 1967!!!! Making this coin most likely dropped when brand new and got caught up in the edge of the fire!
This is an old family owned land and third generation son is now living there. We can go back whenever and keep swinging so score! So what happens here this morning? 5” snow……..
Anybody have suggestions on how to clean up charred coins? I also found a ‘44 quarter on the lawn where the University ROTC burned down in the 70s…….oh, and yes, I will be taking the 5” coil next time.

Attachments

• CECB0E72-5FAD-4926-BEF4-F44B5661B641.jpeg
    CECB0E72-5FAD-4926-BEF4-F44B5661B641.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 71
Nice! Good luck!
Anytime I had a coin I couldn’t get hard crunchy coating off ,as a last resort, I would heat coin with a torch then throw into a cup of cold water. Usually it would pop off. At least enough to satisfy my curiosity.

Dds, neat suggestion! My luck people will be looking for burnt coins here……🙄😳😂

That quarter has been well roasted 😂
As DDS mentions The hot and cold method may shock and loosen it up.