Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Kneepads recommendations?

Mike T

I need a set, all the ones at Lowe's are uncomfortable, pinch, or pull my pants down. What do you guys use? I mostly hunt in rocky soil.

Mike:
I've used the very light foam knee pads in the past. But now days I have like a small tennis
towel that I fold several times and place it under my knee that I kneel down on. I find this
more comfortable even with shorts.
Percy

I don't use them anymore. Being in the trades, I bought so many over the years and havn't found a pair that stay up. If you tighten them up as not to fall, they make the back of your knees sore The best ones are custom fit, the ones the carpet installers use...but they are expensive and too large.

I haven't found a pair that I'm happy with yet either.----I got a couple of pairs from Kellyco a few years ago that was their top of the line ones at the time.----They are "ok" but like Steve mentioned, they make the back of my knees sore when tightened up to the point that is necessary to keep them up.---I got to the place where I don't even use knee pads except in rocks.-----So know I'm always wearing the knees out on my pants! :tongue:------I've been thinking about asking my wife to sew extra heavy padding directly of the knee section of my hunt pants, that might be an "option"! :)-----------Del

I've been reading about tactical pants, that have an inside pocket at the knee for foam inserts. I'm thinking that might be a way to go.

Yea Mike, let us know what you come up with.

A friend of mine who literally detects all the time uses those cheap foam knee pads from Walmart, but I've found them to soak thru on wet ground. I use the inexpensive ones from Harbor Freight with the plastic caps which at least keep my knees dry, but they don't stay up very good.

I picked up a pair at Harbor Freight for like $5. Foam with hard covers. Seem to work fine for me. If they wear out, well no, when they wear out They're cheap enough just buy more.

HarborFreight_kneePads

I'm about at the point of taking a truck innertube, strategically cutting it so as to have a strap going up to loop in my belt, and having a ring of rubber around the knee area...heck i guess if a guy kept it long from knee down to boot, it would be a nice snake, brush, or even snow gaitor type of thing.
Mud

Check out a real plumbing/electrical supply store.I bought a pair several years ago and still use them.They have a hard plastic shell over the foam to keep it away from moisture and two adjustable straps.Cost was about $15-20.

I use volleyball kneepads in the summer, and these in the pic during the winter, very comfortable military type. Can find on feebay pretty cheap

I use the same knee pads as lipservice. They stay up well, but tend to roll around to the side. I wonder if I can mould them with heat.

I use Workforce McGuire-Nicholas foam pads (Home Depot, $19.99). They are water resistant and light enough that they don't fall unless I get pretty agressive with a shovel. I usually forget I am wearing them. Sometimes they twist out from under my knee on a slope or very rocky ground, but I think that's a problem for most pads.
I bought them years ago for work and they actually show absolutely no wear. Very comfortable, long lasting pads at a decent price imho.
2bae26fc-4dc0-4dbf-a26e-bae4f0ab377c_300.jpg

I use the cheap ones from Home Depot.
They where like three dollars.
Foam pads with a single strap.
The straps are a bit on the short side so if you have large legs they might be tight.
I am a little shit so they fit me OK.
They will let moisture through if your in real wet conditions, early dew covered grass.
I might upgrade later but for now theses work for me.

Mike, if you look at one of my youtube videos you'll see the one I use. I used to laugh at guys who wore them until a friend gave me one to try. Now I won't hunt without it. Very comfortable. Make sure you get one that's outside cover is plastic. Keeps your knee from getting wet. Inside should be padded though for comfort. Besides my Pro Pointer and my handy harness to carry it and my digger and probe on my left hip, that knee pad is the best thing since sliced bread.

It never occurred to me to get a pair of military-style kneepads until I saw your post.

I was using a couple pair of Franklin kneepads from Walmart for a while now. They've been durable, but not comfortable on the back of the knees. Especially when I wore them for longer periods. Slipped a lot too.

So I bought a pair of "Alta Tactical Superflex" kneepads on Amazon for $25 shipped. A lot of money for a pair of kneepads, but these are sweet. I never imagined how much nicer it is to kneel in a good pair of kneepads.

So a shout out to you, Coinjumper, for giving me the idea.:cheers:

I used a hard knee pad from Sears ..of. Course it is cushioned on the inside part. I too had trouble with it moving up and down. The way I found to fix that is to just hook the bottom strap with the loose top strap under it so it isn't freely swinging around and walk around like that. If you have the lower strap adjusted right it stays right there and when you kneel the pad is in the right place.

Hope tha helps ya.

Ksabubba