Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Lady barber is my valentine

Bell

Found this sweet 1902s barber half today after work. The detail is actually prefect but it has that thick black coating on it that seems to happen when silver is in the hole with iron. Any suggests on how to get that off without hurting it? Peroxide does not work.......
2011-02-14204336.jpg

Congrats, nice find. Many folks would probably leave it like it is. If you are dead set on cleaning it, I have used the following method (video, non battery) on silver with very good results. Note: I have never tried it on a 90% Ag coin though, let alone a barber half.
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGCx9HZwYBo[/video]
If that doesn't work, very light electrolysis may also remove the black stain. The method above would be much more gentle though. Good luck on whatever you decide and nice find! JJ

Congrats on the Barber Bell, thats a beautiful coin!:clapping:

Thanks alot for the cool video JJ:thumbup:

All methods that will remove that black crust will remove some of the detail as well in my experience.Other than maybe trying lemon juice I would leave as is.....
I had a seated dime with mint detail that was even blacker than your half and the chemical electrolysis ate most of the detail with the black crust:thumbdown:

n/t

Try a baking soda and water slurry. You may have to let it soak for a while but it won't damage the coin or the detail.

Lemon juice of any very weak acid produce... like ketchup might work. Just be sure to dip it after in a baking soda and water dip to stop the acid process. Ive had pretty good success with a micro cloth, water, and Bar Keepers helper. Use light circles NOT stright lines when gently rubbing it. Its a little more gentle than baking soda and removes almost no detail. Im not certain that coin would be graded any differently with or without that crud. Its already scratched and lacks visual appeal having came out of the ground. Cleaning it at least makes it appealing to some one who would want it... collector or not.

Dew