Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Lake effect

Steve1825

Went out this morning to a local lake that is drawn down every year. My outing did as usual as last year. The lake edge is very trashy and most THers stay about ten feet from the edge using thier standard coils. I use my White's V3i with a 4X6 DD eliptical sniper coil and do quite well in the trash. Along with clad coins and some trash ( must look for nickels and gold ) I rescued three fishing reels, Saint Christopher Medal, Abbey's 2010 Dog Tags, 1956 & 1950-D cents, 1938 dime, dateless-S standing liberty quarter, 1939 quarter and a 1952 half dollar. I left them as is to show what they look like just out of the lake bottom. Silver looks very dark. I have some cleaing to do now.

You did VERY well Steve. I always thought the small coils were too darned slow going for me but you just proved that patients pays off big time. :clapping:

You could start your own fishing shop with all those reels. Great hunt and finds Steve. :thumbup: HH,. Nancy

The manufacturers make all these coil sizes for specific uses. It is to our advantage to learn their uses or where they can be used to our advantage. Bigger and deeper do not correlate with lake bottoms near the shoreline. If it is the only coil you have I recommend you take your sensitivity to it's minimum. Air test it and you will see it will still be a few inches for depth. Most of my coins were within three feet of the shoreline and only two inches deep. Two were on the surface. With many aluminum cans all over, screw caps, pull tabs and fishing weights too you can see you must adapt to your environment. Even with my small coil I've had to move 90-deg around some targets for a better signal before I dug or moved on. I'm sure I skipped many smaller silver items because of all the screw caps present in the 55 to 72 range. Maybe when I finally Finnish searching the whole lake shore edge I will go back and start picking up these caps and also see what they might be masking. I have only been out to this lake just this once this year. In previous years at this lake I have rescued many other wheats, silver dimes and quarters. I have one Walking Liberty Half and know of one other found. Most of our club members know this location so I am just explaining for our new members and anyone else who has an opportunity to search a lake shore. We don't state locations on line so if a member wants to check this lake out now or next year give me or one of our other longtime members your request. Just don't be a tag-a-long only. Some "share" only your sites and never share their own to others. We as a club will share. Many guest that have come through asking for area info and possibly a tour went away shocked that we would take them to good sites and they walk away with Barber coins and Indian Cents. This is a good club and we strive to keep it that way for all members and guest. When I travel I look for other clubs along my route or destination. Check when they have meetings and ask for info and a hunting partner. Most other clubs are good too. Lets strive to keep it that way.

Great post Steve........ :thumbup: