Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Lake Superior-Great Lakes

I've hunted the area to the south around Grand Haven and there is pretty decent loot to be had but expect cold water, lots of iron and some dangerous currents when the winds are up.

Cheers,

BDA:cool:

Lake Huron, Michigan, Ontario , and Lake St. Clair yes. I didn't think any sane person would swim in lake superior!!! I have been to Whitefish point and the water is just too cold for me. BUT I am positive over the years ppl have and still do and if that is the case you will find treasure!!

It can't hurt to try places. You might have wonderful luck. I will stick down here in the lower part of MI and leave that lake alone for now!!

scubadetector said:
Lake Huron, Michigan, Ontario , and Lake St. Clair yes. I didn't think any sane person would swim in lake superior!!! I have been to Whitefish point and the water is just too cold for me. BUT I am positive over the years ppl have and still do and if that is the case you will find treasure!!

It can't hurt to try places. You might have wonderful luck. I will stick down here in the lower part of MI and leave that lake alone for now!!

I can't imagine it would take long for shrinkage to occur in Lake Superior. I grew up on the shores of Lake Ontario and swam in its' waters every summer as a kid and that water would turn you blue right quick. It probably should have made us glow in the dark too from all the chemicals they dumped into it but back then who knew about such things.
If you have shrinkage you will have loot in the water soon enough.:thumbup:

Hey gunther what part of the up are you in? I live in Toivola I am about 10 mins from misery bay beach and I haven't had any luck detecting the lake. I have tried up by eagle harbor not much luck there either but that was in November I am sure if I could've got out deeper I might have had better luck.

I've hunted the Marquette to Munising area beaches, I've talked to detectorists that have had good success with old stuff, some even found gold coins, but in general on any given day you will not find much, the population in Yooperland is very low and they are not the types to loosely wear gold jewelry, only a month or two of the year is warm enough to hang out at the beach and on many of those days it is even too cold for that if you have an onshore wind.

These experienced guys I talked to knew what they were doing and some of them liked to hunt November storms. Some of them believed yearly shore ice banks (which can be enormous) actually dragged much of the good loot out to deep water where it will be hard to retrieve.

Lake levels were high in the 80s and have since dropped, the beaches I hunt have sanded in quite a bit and old stuff is probably quite deep under the sand.

What little success I've had at the beach has only come during storms that generate cuts and concentrates the targets, or in rocky areas a little inland with thin sand on top where the coins were not lost to the depths of the sandy beaches, or around old cabins.

As i have went swimming in superior right smack in the middle(for those of you that don't know the water in it wont get above about 40/50 deg.on the surface out in the middle) i could see my breath after getting out of the water it was that cold and it was aug.and 80 deg out!!!
as for detecting in the big lake expect to find alot of iron due to the logging in the old days but you might want to dig some of it to make sure its not logging stuf you might want to keep like a log marking hammer,pike or something like that also you may find old copper spear heads over 1000 years old so don't throw things away till you I.D. It!!!!good luck

I've worked Eagle River a couple times with a DFX. There are some beach areas that are protected from high surf most of the time. Quite a bit of clad, and a few wheats. Also tried some wooded areas, and found some relics, but there's a lot of copper below the surface. Parks weren't too productive. The water is warmer in the inlets. It's not too bad if you have a sauna nearby!