Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Lamproite? Rhyolite? Need ID help

Jim in Idaho

Found a 10" hunk of this in northern Nevada last weekend. This piece is about 3" x 5". Very unusual rock for that area. Has a distinct greenish cast. That country is mostly either rhyolite, or basalt lava, and dark brown to reddish brown. I didn't have time to do any further looking around....probably won't get back until spring. Any help greatly appreciated. I'm thinking this is either rhyolite, or lamproite. Material can be scratched with a knife blade, though not easily. A drop of muriatic acid had no discernable effect. Hope somebody can shed some light on the ID.
Jim

After more research, I think what I've got here is a pyroxene rhyolite tuff. Eventually, I'll crush a sample, and we'll see if it's worth messing with.
Jim