Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Large Cent, No Stars Seated Dime, SLQ

doninbrewster

Went on a club hunt yesterday and did ok. Came up with a bucket list item, an 1837 No Stars Seated Dime. The only made the No Stars obverse type for 2 years so it's quite rare as a type. I would have been happy if I only found one of the coins I found, but finding these three made for a good day. The 1826 LC is a little toasted, but the SLQ is nice. Other members from my club came up with a half real from the 1770's, 1798 LC, 1852 3 cent silver and a beautiful sterling bracelet that seems to contain a row of large amber pieces surrounded by silver. Other silver was found, but these were some of the highlights.

Fantastic finds!

Thanks! I'm psyched about the No Stars Dime. Quite rare to come out of the ground.

Have you looked that up on line? I don't think I have ever seen a no stars seated dime.

Nice

That's an impressive trio - especially the 'no stars' - that's a real trophy find! :cheers:

1950cupajo said:
Have you looked that up on line? I don't think I have ever seen a no stars seated dime.

Nice

The 1837 No Stars Seated Dime has a mintage of just 682,000. The also made a No Stars dime in New Orleans in 1838 with a mintage of just over 400,000 so with a combined mintage of under 1.1m it makes for a scarce "type" coin. It's also the first year of the seated coinage. Although it's not a high grade, it is decent and I'm thrilled with the find. I've found multiple pieces of Spanish silver from the 1700's, but this is my earliest US silver coin. I'm determined to find some "Bust" silver this year. By the way, here's a photo of some of the stuff that came out of our club hunt.

What does a club hunt mean? Fellas from the detector club find a site to hunt? Great finds must be an awesome site. Can you go back and detect the area some more?

Bill, It is a hunt where members of our metal detecting club get permission to metal detect private property. Members pay a small fee which goes to the property owner. This particular site was an old orchard we went to last year and had success so we went back. I'm sure we'll go back again to this site. In the meantime we have other hunts scheduled. If you're not in a club, join one. If you're in the Hudson Valley area of NY you can join ours at www.greattreasure.com or if you're in CT you can try http://www.noreasters.net. We schedule hunts together to give our members more opportunity for good finds. These are not seeded hunts, but old properties. Most of our hunts seem to turn up either colonial copper or reals etc.