Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Large Cent

jerseyjim

Hi all,
I dug this coin yesterday in a NJ park. As you can see, it is very hard to see anything on it. I can feel the raised bust on the coin. When it is wet I think I can see stars. I checked the red book and I came up with a few possibilities. The have a 15 star large cent called the Matron
head and an 8 and 13 star large cent. There are a few others it can also be.It however seems to be a large cent. I only cleaned it with soap & water and a tooth brush. I am tempted to put a little olive oil or mineral spirits on it. The weight of the coin is 13.7 G. It is about 1i/8 in diameter. I am open to any ideas you folks might have.

Jim

I just wanted to mention that the park that the above coin was found also turned up a
cob and some other very old coins and a 1nice gold medallion. We have had club hunts in this park for a few years . Most of the members in our club have hunted this park many times.The point that I am trying to make, as you all know. This is one of the so called parks that were hunted out.Most of you girls and guys know that there is no such thing as a hunted out park. I also found ten other coins, all clad with in ten feet of this coin. Every time we go to this park we find something, For you new bees, don't listen to anyone that tells you an area is hunted out.

Jim

Congrats on the largie... to often they come out of the ground toasted... you could soak in olive oil for a few weeks or tumble it...if you tumble it tumble it along with other large flat coins such as quarters and check it often as you are just trying to get some more detail to show... stop if you start seeing bare metal anywhere other that the raised details. .....

Congratulations on the LC JersyJim! I hope that the olive oil treatment brings out some of the detail. Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

That is very nice. People on here are giving you good advice to be very careful with it. Hope if you soak in the olive oil, you can see a date, but even if you can't see the date you know you have a very old and rare find.

Thank you all for your advise. I have it narrowed down to a few coins that have stars, Classic, Liberty and Matron Head.They are the same size.I will try the olive oil with Q Tip technique.

Jersey Jim

Yeah I think your right! Looks a lot like the Matron head my son found. Congrats on the find!