Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Large Coil vs Metal Shaft of ML GPX 5000?

dgatley

Q - With the extra sensitivity of the bigger Coiltek 18 x 12 Goldstalker Elliptical Mono coil, shouldn't I change at least the lower, if not both the upper and lower, shafts of my GPX-5000 to non-metallic Carbon Fiber shafts?
And if so, which lengths - the 32" or the 37"?
Any feedback would be appreciated greatly.....
Dave

:ausflag :Hi Dave at the moment I have a 24x12 NF on, I am using 30" lower shaft and the standard upper shaft, the detector is operates OK . I also have a carbon fibre upper shaft I have tried both to my self there is not much difference. Some people run both upper and lower carbon I think its a personal preference I am using a 4500 at this time but I did have a 5000 last year and I used a 16 round NF and a 11x17 NF and I had no shaft troubles that was with the standard lower shaft regards john

[size=medium]Thanks John, I was just wanting more input due to the increased sensitivity of the larger coil. I can see running CF on the lower shaft but when you get waist high I'm suspecting my belt buckle and the pick on shoulder are far greater an issue - AND I don't think they are.

Johnathan Porter, Australia's - ML close confidant and adviser, walks around with a 2-way radio on his backpack and drags a chain behind him to help "grid" his searches (I'm thinking that he is a good example that the EMI and waist high metals on our upper bodies are tuned out by the GPX when we turn the power on and do the initial set-ups.)

My GPX is a first for me with a PI detector, and I'm just reaching out for more knowledge and input on configuring it properly with this newer large coil. No worries with my smaller coils.
So thanks again! Dave[/size]

Dave we have found that by late morning some days we have to change coils to a smaller one as the EMI can be a problem I carry a 2way radio and mobile phone the only thing is to keep the 2 way away from the detector all the best john

I use a fibreglass upper shaft section because I mainly use Mono coils larger than 16" in size. Theres not a lot of difference in performance but I did feel the signal responses were slightly brighter when I swapped over from the standard item. The signal created by the mineralised ground is far greater than than the sum of any metals I carry on my upper body.

JP

Jonathan,
Thank you! In CAL & AZ, we have less mineralization than you're faced with in AU. Your point is well made.
I ordered a fiberglass lower to test with the larger coil, but seriously believe I'd have to have a 20" or larger to see a difference. I'll test it out and report.
I talked with Chris Gholson (AZO) today, and he felt there would little difference either way, and my guess is that you both have swung for many more hours than I.
Hopefully that'll change over the next few years, but I appreciate both of your inputs.
Thanks again, Dave