Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Large deep iron objects...

gregD

I was out hunting with my Deus and i hit a nice high tone, 95 on the vdi... Not overloading, repeatable for different sides.
I am new to the Deus so i dont have a very highly trained ear yet (multi tones)...but it sounded like a good target to me.

Turned out to be a shovel head about 2feet down! I hate leaving things in the gound so i dug it all out and it was a royal pain!

Is there a way to learn how to ID objects like this vs other high tones?

What program were you using ?

12 mhz, full tones, reactivity 3, manual Gb at 90, sensitivity 90, disc at 5, iton vol 1, audio resp 3 or 4, no notch.... Think that covers it

I lift the coil off the ground if I suspect a large target like a soda can ... if you can get the coil 10" or so above the ground and still hear the target, its bigger than a coin.
On the beach, a buried beer can is not uncommon and I have gotten good signals from them a foot or more above the sand.
I pass on those .... and hope I did not leave a pirate chest behind for the next guy with a detector. :surrender:

Ok! Will try that. I have hole dug in my yard about 18" so far. Still beeping high like something good is there. Will try to lift it and see how the signal changes

Try this,,,bury a quarter or half dollar down about 10",,, sweep and pinpoint (I'm presuming you have a remote).,, while pinpointing notice the size of the target.

Do the same on an 8" deep dime and pinpoint and listen.

Most times on what I call relic iron,,,you may get good tone in one direction ( using full tones),, but as you pivot,,suspect target may start giving grunts, broken tone, sometimes though it is possible to get what I call 4 way pretty good sounding signal.

Also a person should pay attention to how the signal ramps up,,,,when you sweep some buried coins,,you will notice a more gradual tone rise as the coil is passed over,,,,big iron tone more abrupt as the coil approaches.

The suggestions mentioned above will help too.

Cheers

Btw,,most folks with a new to them detector,,,doing what you did,,,very common,,one does have to dig some iron to learn what their detector is telling them.

And I got news for you,,,this certainly won't be the last iron you dig while detecting-- it comes with the territory,,,,but as you get more experience,,your iron digw will decrease.

Happy detecting.

Dug alot of big iron starting out but I use a 4 kh to check for iron some now if im in doubt seems to pretty good when you get a tone like that have a program with 4 kh and switch over to it and see if the tone drops if it does dig it if it doesnt its probaly iron I have had some good luck doing that.

This guy has a pretty good 9 part series on youtube on the deus. I've been watching all of them while waiting for my deus to get here. Watch the video and he starts telling about different signals, if you want to skip to iron signals, start the video at 5:02 Video

Thanks for the link to those videos! Lots of good info there!

gregD said:
Thanks for the link to those videos! Lots of good info there!

You're welcome, mine just came today! Went out in the backyard and found a penny that I overlooked with the other detectors. I too, dug a hole to china chasing something I never found, I'm guessing it was iron because every time I would pinpoint it the signal would move so I quit chasing it, might be the water main. .:surrender:

I check all my large signals using 4 kHz. Works great!