Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

large deep iron

Jason in Enid

I was finally able to get back out to my ghost town site today. I am digging LOTS more little brass and lead bits here than I used to with the CTX. I also discovered that is anyone buried an iron pot full of coins, I'm going to find it with the Equinox! :detecting: No real problem with the common iron bits, but I dug several LARGE iron items that read a solid conductors, although the pinpoint foootprint was very large. I'm glad for it though, because it will probably help me find trash pits. My first big iron was a barrel hoop but there were 2 intact bottles in the hole with it, and somehow I managed I to excavate them both without breaking.

Don't know of many detectors that large iron doesn't fool. when you have a target that large you can pretty well guess it's iron.

u2robert said:
Don't know of many detectors that large iron doesn't fool. when you have a target that large you can pretty well guess it's iron.

Its funny, because we always complain about getting fooled by nails, but I don't mind digging the BIG iron, except when its 2 foot deep. Big iron always had possibilities for being something good.

my last biggies were a cast iron stove leg and a aluminum coffee pot lid about a foot deep:)

I keep hoping one day that big iron will be an old colt SAA (or any pistol really, since I've yet to dig one that wasnt a toy).

I have owned many detectors. Big deep iron is just something we have to contend with. The Sovereign and Excal.....two of the best at iron would still get fooled on the the big stuff.

Great post Jason.

I started out in this hobby digging only the high conductors and limited myself to coins primarily. Now I'll dig many mid conductors after analyzing its footprint with my coil & pinpointer.

The results have been some nice gold pieces, relics and vintage jewelry, etc.

I can post a pic, but i recently moved and lost my test garden. I had a target that 12 machines called decent, only the nox called it a 16-17 pull tab range. CTX 12-40,, etrac 12-38 I finally decided to dig it up as i was curious. Turned out to be a very large barn door hinge i am guessing over 8 inches in length, less than 2 inches to the right of it was a 2ft metal rod about 5/8 inch diameter laying with the end of rod pointing at the hinge. CTX on target trace showed iron as well as a 12-40. Pinpointed right between the two objects. My guess is the way they were laying in relationship to each other, but ya i have dug iron with everything made. I did switch the nox to single freq and all said the target was good in single. The magic is the multi. Would have never dug that if i had only ever run the nox over it as i hate pull tabs.

Yep, the pinpoint footprint is a great way to ID when your target isnt a typical coin or ring sized item. My main point was that many people worry that if they pass over a cache, they'll never know it because they hunt with iron rejected. I have found that disc'ing iron gets rid of the small stuff but we are still going to get a hit on a large iron target. in fact, I think we'd be better off if a caches of coins WAS buried in an iron pot than in a cloth bag.