Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Last 2 Silver coins I found

shafer44

Well, I haven't posted in a while and within the last month, I have had 2 firsts for me, so I decided to show them. First of all I live in West Texas and out here, we do not have the good sites like there are up in the northeast, we feel lucky to find a wheat penny and really get excited if and when we find silver coins. I was hunting a park, not very old at all, maybe 10 or 15 years old park, and was basically using my V3i and my 6x10 eclipse coil looking for maybe some wheats, but mostly clad. I was just about to leave after finding maybe $2 worth of clad and was about 20 ft. from my truck when I got a VDI of 84 and thought I had another clad quarter or some aluminum. I pinpointed and dug down with my Lesche about 5 inches and pulled the dirt out of the hole and then took my TRX to locate it in the dirt. At first, I thought it was just some token (maybe not just some token.....I really like finding tokens) because I saw the flying eagle on the back of the coin. As you can see in the pictures, it is almost black and is highly worn, so when I turned it over, I could not even tell what I was seeing. I tried to wipe away some of the dirt and could see then that it was actually a quarter. I had to call one of my hunting buddies or actually two of them to describe it so they could tell me what I had found. As it turned out, it is almost impossible to make out the date, but one of my buddies managed to make out 1919. And he told me it was a Standing Liberty quarter....my first.
Then the other coin, I was hunting with my White's dealer on a vacant lot that had a couple of old shacks on it that one of them had caught on fire and was gutted. We did not find much, mostly memorials, crusties and some clad and we pick up brass and copper to sell to a local recycling place that buys metal. I was hunting near some old clotheslines in the back and I got a VDI of about 47, pinpointed it and dug down with my sharpshooter this time and then with the TRX located a blob of melted gritty black shingle that was what I assumed to be a chunk of brass inside the melted shingle, so I threw it in with my other copper and brass pieces. A week later, as I was sorting the copper and brass, I pulled the blob out, took a piece of lead ingot and tapped on the blob. Some of the shingle chipped off and only then did I even know it was a coin. I tapped a little more and saw 1943, then I finally could see old Jefferson on it and VOILA!!! I had found my first silver Jefferson. The pictures of this coin are not too good either, but you should have seen it before I got it to this condition. It does have a slash from something across his face, but that was done way before I found it, but who cares....I have a silver Jefferson.....it was a D mint also.

Howdy shafer44--

Congratulations on your 2 firsts! Those are 2 hard to find coins. The Liberty Standing Quarter was only minted for 15 years (1916-1930) and some of the mintages were quite low and the silver Jefferson's were only minted for 4 years (1942-1945). Good hunting there! Also good to see that you are recycling dug scrap copper and brass. That's a win-win -win deal: you clean up the environment, stimulate the economy AND put some $$$ in your pocket. Good job. Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Hello shafer44....

Congrats on those two finds there. I'm from Central Texas myself. I'm also proud to find wheaties & elated when I do find silver.

Thanks, Blind Squirrel.

Thanks, Sataro. Pickings are pretty slim in West Texas, as most of my detecting buddies have already hunted most places SEVERAL times. I have been hunting 2-1/2 yrs and the other guys have been hunting 10-30 yrs.

Thanks, Postal Two! Yeah, they are both rough, but they are silver coins and I am glad I found them. Hopefully, some day I will find some in better condition.

shafer44 said:
Thanks, Postal Two! Yeah, they are both rough, but they are silver coins and I am glad I found them. Hopefully, some day I will find some in better condition.
U will man I'm sure of it that v machine sure does a good job sniffing them out ;)