Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Last Friday, I found trouble!

Not carrying certainly is a lot safer for those that do and are bent to rob or do you bodily harm. HH jim tn

Long range mace might need to be standard to carry. I keep putting it off myself.

Any thing besides a firearm is best, but there are those extreme times...bad people mostly.

comisoas said:
Close friends have given me advice of staying out of the bad areas. I have been detecting these particular areas of town for years with no problem at all. I actually have felt relatively safe but always keep my eyes wide open. This is the only incident I have had occur since I started detecting in Goldsboro since I arrived in 1989. The civil war items are lying in wait and these are the only areas that have not been hit to death over the years. We all just have to be careful every time we go out...with permission at properties of course. This entire situation really was like out of a movie. I suppose I would be singing a different story if the dog would have clamped on my leg or arm and I had to kill the dog. The police would be called. I may have had to go to the emergency room for treatment which would cost $$$$, it would have been in the paper, the "community" may have been quite mad, the owners would have really been upset. I guess the moral of the story is that as soon as that dog started barking and yanking on the leash, I should have just turned and walked away and the whole situation would have been avoided. Lesson learned.

Would Goldsboro be in Sanford, Fl. and if it is you got big balls, I have a friend that lives in Goldsboro I worked with him and he was telling me that the pizza delivery people will not go into Goldsboro he has to go meet them on 17&92..

I've hunted old parks in very bad St. Louis, MO. neighborhoods many, many times and have been very lucky. I've had a number of instances where things could have turned out badly for me. I also have a HCP but never carry when I'm detecting for a couple of reasons. I'm wearing too much junk around my waist and on my belt. In about every instance, the potential trouble was upon me before I noticed or I could react. My mind and senses are focused on MDing and not situational awareness. It's best going out with at least one other person (the more the merrier) when hunting on the other side of the tracks.

Great comments --all. I thought about your scenario and really don't know what I would have done. My hind sight is worthless. I'm glad the dad had some common sense.