Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Last of 2014 oddball finds....

Chris(SoCenWI)

Seeing I just posted my first 2015 finds I figured I had better finish up the last of 2014 finds that I never seemed to find time to take a picture.

Usually I post on the Minelab Explorer forum but figure everyone there checks this forum out also. Yes/no?

Now that I am ancient coot and need reading glasses badly there are coins that come out of the ground that I can't identify. No longer even try the last couple of years, which is probably good because I'm not rubbing the coin trying to get a date and mint mark and causing damage. Most coins can guess at but these fooled me until I got home.

The first one is an LC I found last December after we had a brief warm up that thawed the ground enough after a cold November.

[attachment 309403 March152015016.JPG]
[attachment 309404 March152015017.JPG]]

It had the right diameter for an LC but was so thin I thought perhaps Bank of Upper Canada coin or something else foreign.

Only LC that I have dug that couldn't get a date on.

The second coin was a trick coin; wheat penny machined into a buffalo nickel. No matter how far I held it from my eyes I couldn't figure it out.

[attachment 309405 March152015018.JPG]
[attachment 309406 March152015021.JPG]

This came from an interesting yard; normally I don't dig shallow clad coin signals, but I always dig some marginal ones and see what they are. Well, here all the marginals turned out to be wheaties. I kept digging shallower and shallower signals and all were wheats. One of the signals I "dug" was a coin 3 inches above my coil, it hadn't even hit the ground yet and was still a wheat. I think I dug a couple of dozen wheats with no clad. Some yards are the opposite, hugely deep signals that turn out to be zilcons.

Chris