Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

last post tonight about my weekend finds with my whites xlt, but this weekend, the CoRe is up to bat

This message goes out to Monte, Keith Southern, and many others who have had the blessing of using the FORS GOLD AND/OR FORS Core. I will post a picture of my 2 days hunt with my trusty old xlt, using specialized program to find deep CW relics . There are a few areas that contain beer cans, rare to find foil and aluminum beaver tails, pull tabs, screw caps and the like... the main issues have been the bent olds fence staples, V OR U shaped iron fencing scrap, and the crazy bent OLD and sometimes deep larger chunks of iron fencing/old barb wire, and the sustained 100+ year old square nails... so my questions are this (I'm hoping to go Back this weekend) with the Nokta in hand.

1- large amounts of acreage at times (with the occasional shotgun shells or modern bullets). Hard to dig cans at times, but by friends find buttons and 2 U.S. belt buckles, so I need to dig everything if this nature!

2- what is the recommended settings for CW relic hunting+

3- what coil is recommend? Stock coil or larger one for finding the goodies?

4-And last one, 2 tone or 3. Iron masking settings, etc. thank you again, so much.

Thank you sirs,

Bubba

DI2, ID Mask between 7 and 10. Sensitivity try 93, 94 if stable, stock coil. Take note of areas with high contents of nails/iron. Then later hunt them with small coil attached. And then maybe try the monster coil. Personally I try to go to the worst areas of your site first even with the stock coil. Your gonna be shocked at how good it does when comparing to many other detectors wearing similar sized coils. Good luck.

So I'm thinking to start with stock coil, di2, etc. But MASK will be the tough one fit me, I think...10 vs 23...Hmmmm

I would like to block out the tiny square nails and such, but don't want to block out frags, buck n balls, 3 ringers, pistol balls, BUTTONS, etc. Again , I have not even out the unit "to use" due to my crazy schedule this week so far, just hoping for less time testing/more time FINDING....if that makes sense?

I keep it simple. di3, iron mask all the way to zero so I hear everything.

w

The '0' to '10' ID Mask settings are basically for magnetized rocks. At some places I do adjust down below '10' just to be very sensitive to all targets in the motion Discriminate modes, but not that often.

In either the Di2 or Di3 modes, a setting range from '10' to '40' includes most ferrous metals, iron rocks and salty and alkaline soils, especially if damp' or wet. I prefer to use a '10' ID Mask setting so that I can hear almost all targets, ferrous and non-ferrous, mainly when hunting in Di2 mode and in sparse to low or moderate target conditions.

When in most locations with a high amount of targets, of any type, I usually opt for Di3 and increase the ID Mask to '23' which is just about the best setting to just barely reject iron nails. I like the fact that the Coin & Relic, and the Racer, allow the operator to set both the 2-Tone and 3-Tone search m odes with the Gain and Discrimination settings they might prefer, then the operator can make a quickly change from one mode to the other to check some questionable responses.

We had high winds yesterday that kept me from detecting, but it's calm out side now, and sunrise is in about half-an-hour so it looks like the FORS CoRe and I are going to go hit the local beach today. It is 'spring break' but the weather isn't quite summer-like yet so I don't think there will be that many at our river/lake beach, in my usually 2-Tone Audio beach mode set-up.

Just experiment with your unit, but I don't think you'll need an ID Mask setting less than '10.'

Monte

Monte said:
In either the Di2 or Di3 modes, a setting range from '10' to '40' includes most ferrous metals, iron rocks and salty and alkaline soils, especially if damp' or wet. I prefer to use a '10' ID Mask setting so that I can hear almost all targets, ferrous and non-ferrous, mainly when hunting in Di2 mode and in sparse to low or moderate target conditions.

When in most locations with a high amount of targets, of any type, I usually opt for Di3 and increase the ID Mask to '23' which is just about the best setting to just barely reject iron nails. I like the fact that the Coin & Relic, and the Racer, allow the operator to set both the 2-Tone and 3-Tone search m odes with the Gain and Discrimination settings they might prefer, then the operator can make a quickly change from one mode to the other to check some questionable responses.

Monte

You nailed it literally, in all of your comments here Monte, so thank you very much! And from what I understand Di2 is the deeper mode, versus DI3. And yes the trash is very sparse, but the ground is very wet. So I'm thinking a 23 number would be just about right. Just a couple more quick questions please for you Monte, or whoever else will respond. 1 – can you "hear" the difference between Relics vs bottle caps, foil, etc. 2 - does raising the sensitivity to high make the unit unstable, in other words, does it really help increase depth, or does lower than say 80-90 do better for trash separation?

I basically want to dig EVERYTHING that is not "small iron".

Thanks again everyone!

I totally agree with Monte set the discrimination at 23 on di2 and dig everything. Let us know how it goes.

I'm going to slightly bump up the ID mask next time, or just leave it at default.

w

John, I'm going to open my phone pictures of my finds in the computer so I can shrink then gotten to fit the forum tomorrow

John said:
I would like to see some of your finds. I bet you have some interesting stuff....