Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Last Week's Haul

CZconnoisseur

Just a quick post of what the Nox was able to sniff out over about 9-10 hours of hunting time.

Found the Merc in some hard-packed dirt surrounded by some deeper aluminum can slaw, as well as 1/4 of a tax token! It was reading 25-28 most of the time but jumped up to the 30s occasionally....turned out to be about 8" down.

The silver ring hit 23 and was on the surface - no digging required! The 1903 O Barber dime was nestled next to a large iron bolt. I've scanned the same signal before with other detectors and always came to the "iron" conclusion - but this time I wanted to move the iron first to see what if anything was masked. Found the dime first, and then the bolt was around 10" deep, only 3" deeper than the dime. Gotta love new technology - or maybe I was just tired of getting that same large iron signal every time I'd walk over it!

Both Indians rang up in the 19-21 range and were 8-9" deep. This detector sees the aluminum for what it is - there's always a lot of 11,12, 14, 16 numbers popping up when hunting the parks around here, and when I get a solid lock on 13 I usually dig. I've been spending more time with the trash signals and have noticed the aluminum stuff won't "lock" usually, especially beavertails. They like to hit 11-14 and audio sizing helps with the dig/pass decision for me. Settings for both hunts are
Park 1 with the following:

Sens 20-22 depending on EMI
Recovery 3
Iron Bias 3
Manual Ground Balance 0
5 Tones
-9 to +9 Rejected, 11-40 Accepted
Haven't used Threshold yet.....stays at 0

One of the cooler targets was the Vive camera plate. Initially I dug a 1916 Wheat at 8" but the pinpointer was indicating something deeper. Another 2" below the Wheat came the plate, and a quick google search put it into an 1893-1908 manufacture date:

http://www.historiccamera.com/cgi-bin/librarium/pm.cgi?action=display&login=vivecamco

Weather has been nice for evening outings, however the severe lack of rain keeps me from wanting to dig those deeper coins/relics/iron. The religious relic registered 17-18 and had a nice audio smoothness - I'm finding that this detector is VERY spot-on with correctly IDing non-ferrous items at depth, and the iron is getting easier to call every successive hunt. The recent wet snow that came and went last week really helped with softening the ground as well as "livening up" the targets...may just be me but seems like the detector likes a little moisture in our soil to get a little more "resolution" of what's down there.

Forgot to show the usual mountain of iron and aluminum - it's nothing special except I'm almost FOIL-FREE last several hunts save for a couple compressed pieces! I'm liking how this machine handles foil - yet still learning on the iron...but not at all dissatisfied :biggrin:

Holy guacamole! I wish I could find great finds like that again. It's been a while. You did fantastic!
I'm looking forward to seeing more great finds from you!

Great story of the hunt and amazing finds! I look forward to owning a Minelab one of these days.