Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Lead "handle" (???) with threaded iron core from 1812-era tavern site

Hi everyone,

I found this ~3" long unidentified pendulum-shaped or handle-shaped lead object about 100 feet from the site of a long-gone tavern from the War of 1812 that I've been working and have posted on before. It was about 10" deep and definitely has that old-time white lead patina that I've found on some of the buck and balls I've found there. Photos shown for scale and from a few different angles. In the pictures you'll see that it has a narrow iron core with a hole in it that has threading. Apparently that central iron core had the lead cast/molded around it; the hole is only on one end and the other end is rounded off like the top of a tool handle. The threading isn't visible in the photos but it's kind of a thicker spiral pattern rather than the "modern look" that comes with threaded bolts of the machine tool era, the hole is about as deep as a toothpick and pretty much 1/4" diameter. As for its age I don't have an idea and can't say with any certainty it's War of 1812 era, but I'd say anything 1790's-1860's would be most likely, although I've found a few later mid-1900's farm relics on site.

I'm guessing that this was the handle to some kind of a tool and that the threaded iron hole was for something similar to a screwdriver, awl, file, gunsmithing tool, maybe something from the operation of the tavern, etc. but I have no idea. Fits pretty comfortably in the hand like a small screwdriver. Why it would be soft and heavy lead I have no clue either. Alternatively, I guess this could be some kind of weight, but it doesn't look like any of the window sash weights I've seen and I don't think most of the gate/door weights were internally threaded. Thanks in advance for any help with the ID/dating of this, and wishing you all happy hunting!

Attachments

• image0-4.jpeg
    image0-4.jpeg
    16.7 KB · Views: 138
  • image1-2.jpeg
    image1-2.jpeg
    15.9 KB · Views: 138
  • image2-2.jpeg
    image2-2.jpeg
    28.9 KB · Views: 130
  • image4-2.jpeg
    image4-2.jpeg
    27.5 KB · Views: 132
  • image5-2.jpeg
    image5-2.jpeg
    48.8 KB · Views: 127
  • image6-2.jpeg
    image6-2.jpeg
    53.1 KB · Views: 138
A window sash weight?

Image: Antique window sash weight
Thanks, Steve! Hmmm... I gave that idea some serious consideration, and it sure looks a lot like one, but I just can't fathom why the central iron cylindrical "core" would be present and threaded with a kind of crude-looking and wide spiral threading to a depth of about one wooden toothpick. So I'm guessing some rigid piece of threaded iron like a bolt went into it, rather than through a "loophole" in the lead that a rope would go through. Very perplexing, not like anything I've ever seen with a screwdriver handle either.

Thanks, Steve! Hmmm... I gave that idea some serious consideration, and it sure looks a lot like one, but I just can't fathom why the central iron cylindrical "core" would be present and threaded with a kind of crude-looking and wide spiral threading to a depth of about one wooden toothpick. So I'm guessing some rigid piece of threaded iron like a bolt went into it, rather than through a "loophole" in the lead that a rope would go through. Very perplexing, not like anything I've ever seen with a screwdriver handle either.
Could it have been an eye bolt that threaded into it to attach a cord to? Other than a counterweight, also wondered plumb bob, or a weight to fish a rope down through a pipe or some enclosed space... Like you'd do for cleaning a chimney, drop the weight down attached to a rope and then pull down the brush? Whatever it was made for, looks like it took a beating doing it. if these things could talk, ha!

Last edited:
Could it have been an eye bolt that threaded into it to attach a cord to? Other than a counterweight, also wondered plumb bob, or a weight to fish a rope down through a pipe or some enclosed space... Like you'd do for cleaning a chimney, drop the weight down attached to a rope and then pull down the brush? Whatever it was made for, looks like it took a beating doing it. if these things could talk, ha!
Very possibly any of the above, Steve. Really makes me wonder, but as with many of these 'whatzits' we find, we unfortunately may never know. If there was an eye bolt attached, the threaded hole goes down into the body of the lead weight about 95% of its length, so it would've been embedded very firmly. Thanks for taking a shot at this, all good theories.

The type of threads you describe are (in my mind) like you would find on a wood dowel.
Like on the end of a push broom.
Just another idea path to look into...

The type of threads you describe are (in my mind) like you would find on a wood dowel.
Good point, thanks, HuntinDog. I'll definitely have to think down that path, too. I'm still perplexed. I was almost thinking some kind of fishing net sinkers, but haven't seen any that look like this and have an iron insert with a threaded hole.

That's an idea... wooden handle and being all beat up like it was used for hammering something...

How bout a lead fishing "priest" used for knocking the head of a fresh caught trout?... something like this.... :shrug:

1100188711_PREVIEW.jpg

From the link below: Lot to include vintage brass fly fishing reel, bait catapault, a vintage lead priest with wooden handle for stunning fish. Also a Nero Lemania pocket stopwatch (working), inscribed 2 GPO GGW 63 23975 on the back.

Here's another....

old truncheon cosh persuader fishing priest ? in B26 Birmingham for £49.00  for sale | Shpock

and another...

ANTIQUE IRISH BOG Oak Fishing Priest - £70.00 | PicClick UK

and one more here... :huh:

vintage_fishing_priest_old_angling_sporting_goods_fish_hunting_poachers_tool_1_lgw.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: tvr
That's an idea... wooden handle and being all beat up like it was used for hammering something...

How bout a lead fishing "priest" used for knocking the head of a fresh caught trout?... something like this.... :shrug:

View attachment 13671
From the link below: Lot to include vintage brass fly fishing reel, bait catapault, a vintage lead priest with wooden handle for stunning fish. Also a Nero Lemania pocket stopwatch (working), inscribed 2 GPO GGW 63 23975 on the back.

Here's another....

old truncheon cosh persuader fishing priest ? in B26 Birmingham for £49.00  for sale | Shpock

and another...

ANTIQUE IRISH BOG Oak Fishing Priest - £70.00 | PicClick UK

and one more here... :huh:

View attachment 13672

...and one currently on ebay UK that looks pretty close to yours....

!!!priest.jpg

WOW Steve that first lot I would have bid on... LOL
They seem to be pretty proud of them in the UK.
I think you have it, great ID

Thanks for all the great ideas Taxidea, Steve, and fyrffytr1... wow, I haven't checked in to the website in a few days and there are lots of great responses. I'd say that any of these ideas are plausible, and good hunches. Maybe an iron bolt connected the wood to the lead on this. The lead priest is something I hadn't seen before. Thanks also for the photos and research, Steve!

Really makes you wonder how these things got to where they were found. I have another perplexing brass "doodad" that I'll try to post soon!

Thanks for all the great ideas Taxidea, Steve, and fyrffytr1... wow, I haven't checked in to the website in a few days and there are lots of great responses. I'd say that any of these ideas are plausible, and good hunches. Maybe an iron bolt connected the wood to the lead on this. The lead priest is something I hadn't seen before. Thanks also for the photos and research, Steve!

Really makes you wonder how these things got to where they were found. I have another perplexing brass "doodad" that I'll try to post soon!
A perplexing brass "doodad"...yikes! :surrender:

Great finds, FH, thanks for posting! :ROFLMAO:

Just a thought on the lead priest from ebay UK. The handle is bamboo, hollow, and as you mentioned, would likely have an threaded bolt secured into it and into the lead pommel. If that is so, then it would certainly fit with what you mentioned about the threads going through 95% of the legnth of yours. Takes a pretty good knock to stun a trout, and that would do it for sure.

I like the commode pull idea, but in a quick search, those all seem to be made of wood, brass, porcelain, even silver.

Also like the idea of a throwing weight. Gosh, who can say?

From the obvious beating this thing took, the threads, the one that looks almost identical to yours....my final answer, antique lead priest. Any nice trout streams nearby? :p

Thanks for your thoughts, Steve! I'd agree also that the lead priest (sounds like a heavy metal band) is probably our best bet so far. As far as trout streams nearby the site, there is a creek within about 1.5 miles that is stocked yearly with trout by the state, so I wouldn't doubt at all that it likely had a natural (non-stocked) trout population in the 1800s, and would've been an easy walk or ride away. The site itself has a little brook or ditch that I mentioned in another post, but I don't think it would've been big enough to sustain full-sized adult trout.

A perplexing brass "doodad"...yikes! :surrender:

Great finds, FH, thanks for posting! :ROFLMAO:
LOL :ROFLMAO: it's a little auger that I can't figure out. I'll have to post it sometime soon. Kind of looks like a petcock that could be turned by thumb and forefinger. Don't know if it's maybe a carpentry tool for boring peg holes for dowels to fit into furniture.... why they would use brass as opposed to iron/steel I don't know. I was also thinking that since I'm almost 100% certain that I'm on the site of a long-gone War of 1812 tavern it possibly could have been for some purpose there, but seems too big to be a wine corkscrew and too small to bore a bung hole into a barrel or cask.

Thanks for your thoughts, Steve! I'd agree also that the lead priest (sounds like a heavy metal band) is probably our best bet so far. As far as trout streams nearby the site, there is a creek within about 1.5 miles that is stocked yearly with trout by the state, so I wouldn't doubt at all that it likely had a natural (non-stocked) trout population in the 1800s, and would've been an easy walk or ride away. The site itself has a little brook or ditch that I mentioned in another post, but I don't think it would've been big enough to sustain full-sized adult trout.
And now ladies and gentleman, put your hands together for the legendary.... Led Priest! :clap::wave::yo::hot::yo::buds::super::crylol::wave::bouncy::clapping::crazy::please::spin::clap: