Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Lead, silver and gold.:clapping:

Hi Fellows,

Haven't been out lately and decided to head for a little town where my dad was born at about an hour drive from my place. A guy who I use to work with finally gave me permission to detect his yard at this town and what a great day it was for me and him.:clapping: The place he lives at use to belong to a bank manager years ago in the mid 1800's. The railroad tracks use to run right in front of this guy's house and he would catch the train every day and ride the train to work at another town a few miles away. The tracks are all gone now, but the old railroad grade is still visible. My friend didn't want me to detect the front yard as it was pristine and I didn't want to dig any plugs since it has been so hot and dry, so we headed to the back of the house. After about a half hour I got this nice signal next to an old tree and dug my plug. What I saw staring back at me almost gave me a heart attack:yikes:. I finally found my first cache of old coins and I couldn't have it all to myself.:cry: It was an old fruit jar full of seated and Barber coins and a couple of silver dollars..:clapping: The total face value of the coins was about $24 dollars. I wish I would have had my camera with me and taken a picture of that jar. Lesson learned I guess to always have a camera with you just in case things like this happen and my first cache and no picture to prove it.:cry: After I changed my shorts I asked my friend if I could have at least one of those coins and he let me have a 1875 seated half. That baby was as worn as a pair of worn out shoes, but I was happy to at least get something for my efforts. I asked my friend why in the hell would a bank manager bury a jar of coins and he said that someone else must have lived there before this guy when no banks were establish in this area. I also found a lead toy Indian which my friend let me keep and it has been quite awhile since I have dug up any lead toys. Before I went to my friends place I hit the old school in town and got about $4 in clad. No silver as this school was pounded in years past by many other detectorists. After I detected my friends place I went across the street from his place and started working this old community park. Got some clad and then I got a nickel pull-tab signal and got a nice 14kt gold ring with a nice diamond in it. I crapped my pants again to say the least and I have to admit fellows that this was a day that I will always remember and one which will probably never happen again. Life is just too damn short and days like this are one which we all can dream about and a dream that has come true for me. Sorry the picture of the ring is so blurry. Still trying to figure out how to use my new camera. Thanks for looking and HH to everyone.

Eddie

Wow ... one worn-out seated half for your troubles. I would have given it back to him .. it probably hurt him to have to give you that.

I finally found my first cache of old coins and I couldn't have it all to myself" said:
Man oh man, a huge CONGRATULATIONS to you on the jar of coins.
Will your friend at least let you get pictures of the whole lot together? It would great memories to have one. Not to mention I (as well as other folks here) would love to see the coins.
It is not everyday someone finds a jar totally full of Barbers and Seated coins so, I would either take a picture or ask him to take a few pictures and possibly send it via e-mail or snail mail.
That is a very nice looking ring to add to an already outstanding/phenomenal day.:cheers: Cannot complain about the Indian either he is in good shape. :thumbup:

You just never know.

Once again WTG on a day of detecting you will never forget. :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Nice finds ol' friend:thumbup:

A day you'll always remember:beers:

I wouldn't worry so much about not having your camera with you to get pics of the cache. You saw it as it came out of the ground...and probably have some soiled shorts:bouncy: to remind you of that pic which will be embedded in your mind forever.:beers:

Exciting find Eddie. Every detectorists dream - and you lived it !! Too bad for the chinsey reward, but at least you had the experience.
Keep on hunting and posting!
Bruce

I TOTALLY AGREE --1 HALF--B.S. GREAT JOB EDDIE AND NICE RING --HANG IN THERE --
MORE OUT .CURTTHERE TO BE FOUND --GOOD LUCK PAL

n/t

Eddie, that is the most beautiful seated I've ever seen. Congrats on the cache find.

wow
what a great day Eddie you had the kind of day we all dream about way to go
diggervance

Eddie -- absolutely incredible!!! That's a day we ALL dream about; even if you got to keep only one Seated half (which seems wrong, to me, by the way), you still have the memory of an experience that virtually ALL of us dream of, but most will never experience. You DID, my friend! :)

Take care,

Steve

Congrats on the awesome day Eddie! I have to agree with others, you might want to reconsider your "friend." I don't keep any friends that would treat me like that, as I would never do something like that to any friends of mine either. It is not a value-thing, but a question of mutual respect, in my mind anyway.

I do believe in karma, and it seems that it caught up with you in the form of that sweet ring.

Congrats again on a day that you will surely remember forever! -Marc