Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Learning curve?

SSuper

I'm still pretty new to this stuff.
I've been using a Minelab Vanquish for nearly 2 years and am looking to upgrade. It comes down to the Equinox 800 or the Legend.

I'm thinking the Legend will check all my boxes, but is it difficult to learn?

I love my Vanquish as it is simple (perhaps too simple) and very user friendly, but it's not waterproof..

Anyone with experience going from similar Minelab machines to the Legend?

Thoughts? Advice?

Thanks

I was a ML and Tesoro person. When I started again and needed a detector Tesoro was out of business so I looked to see what ML had. Wanted something simple to start and the Vanquish was what I researched. After looking at everything comparing features i wanted and price of course. I decided that the vanquish was something i would outgrow very quickly having done the hobby previously but the Legend had at least two big advantages right off the bat and that is light and waterproof. Then the ability to run in smf or choose from 5 different frequencies and run in vlf was another .
The more I researched the more features i grew to love like option for waterproof external battery, BT headphones, etc.
Everyone has different preference on what they consider a perfect detector and the Legend seemed to check all the boxes for me and a lot less money than a comparable 800 Nox.
With all the new technology i was concerned that it would be complicated to use as i do not need all the features available that others use, i do not even use the vdi numbers to hunt as i dig almost everything
That was the beauty of it though as it can be a simple turn on and go detector with features as i stated like waterproof, etc, yet has the ability to be customized many different ways using all the features. It can be a turn on and go smf detector like the vanquish but waterproof, or a turn on and go vlf detector, or can be used just as advanced as the ML 800. It is like many detectors in one at a great price.
I had a ML xterra once and that seemed a bit to busy and complicated for what i was doing, this to me anyway seems very user friendly all the way around.
I don’t use half the features on it currently and it was easy to understand, but its nice to know if i ever decided they are available. I think that once you get any machine, get used to it and take the time to learn it, becomes second nature.
If it was easy for me to understand I’m sure you won’t have issues.

Check utube out," metal detecting nyc" this guy does a comparison on the legend and the box, check it out. Think that will help ya out some, GL

He actually rates the Legend #1 better than the 800Nox and even Deus II at $1600 mainly because performance to price is hard to beat. According to him the Legend found 29 out of 30 what the Nox800 found which is good enough for me especially at a $600.
One thing i might add is if you can swing the extra $150 abouts, get the Legend pro pack it includes the waterproof external battery and the 6” coil which i love the battery and the 6” coil is awesome with almost as much depth as the stock coil, lighter and balances the detector even more than an already light well balanced machine

I'm still digging about everything as well, would not have got my best find otherwise! ((Heavy 22kt antique ring)its paying for the upgrade)
I pound this point all the time. Most cherry pick, for silver coins I imagine, using the vdi. I wonder how much gold jewelry they left behind. But to each his own, I’m not in an area that holds any old coins unless they happen to have a real old coin in their pocket and it was a fresh spill. About same odds as finding pre 64 coins in a modern tot lot. Most of area was undeveloped woods or farm land until 1990’s to present. The soil is so lose and sandy even the few old areas like beaches don’t hold much. Jewelry, clad, and odd stuff is all you find here.
Yes you have to dig almost everything but the sandy soil is easy to dig.
Once you get through the grass its really no different than digging at the beach.
Ive used a sand scoop in my yard

Question for you Legend users, what's the best depth one could hope for? (Generally speaking)
So many variables, look at some of the you tube videos. Someone got a roman which is about size of a dime at 9” with the small 6” coil. Thats pretty impressive. If that tells you anything.
Im not into digging 12” and deeper holes anymore so its more than deep enough for me.

I don't know on the legend , but my v3i gets getter depth when running the 2.5 frequency rather than all three at the same time , could apply to the legend.

I don't know on the legend , but my v3i gets getter depth when running the 2.5 frequency rather than all three at the same time , could apply to the legend.
That is supposed to apply to all detectors. Lower frequencies go deeper, higher frequencies are not as deep but more sensitive to smaller targets different frequencies hit better on different targets as well. Multi frequency is supposed to be somewhere in the middle ground as it does a little of both but I believe cant max out at both.
If you are specifically hunting a certain target then you are better using the frequency best suited for it. Gold prospecting is usually done with very high frequencies usually above 20 Khz, silver is down somewhere below 10 Khz
Thats the general rule to go by
Again im not an engineer but there are charts explaining all of it

That is supposed to apply to all detectors. Lower frequencies go deeper, higher frequencies are not as deep but more sensitive to smaller targets different frequencies hit better on different targets as well. Multi frequency is supposed to be somewhere in the middle ground as it does a little of both but I believe cant max out at both.
If you are specifically hunting a certain target then you are better using the frequency best suited for it. Gold prospecting is usually done with very high frequencies usually above 20 Khz, silver is down somewhere below 10 Khz
Thats the general rule to go by
Again im not an engineer but there are charts explaining all of it
Sorry, I meant all the power to just one running frequency instead of all three at the same time . Thanks