Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Leaving holes uncovered

Few things suck worse than showing up to work a public sight, and seeing where some dim witted Tool with a garden shovel has left lots of holes uncovered... filling in other people’s holes is BS... but it has to be done, So I do it so that I don’t get blamed, and so the hobby doesn’t get banned. But suck as it does, this I have learned... Anyone who leaves their holes uncovered hasn’t been at this long or isn’t that good at it... nothing more gratifying than pulling silver from a hole the imbeciles searches.

Well said. I'm a relic Hunter and my hunting buddy and I have come across this same thing. Hunters leaving uncovered holes and trash in their path. I call it the Gen. Sherman effect. Anyway, I was checking their holes and pulled 2 bullets from the backside of 2 of their holes. I guess if your not smart enough to know to fill your holes, your not smart enough to know how to pinpoint. Aggravating for sure.

About three years ago I was searching the grounds of what used to be a grade school, but now the building and grounds are used for a church. Well I was searching along one section when I got this really nice high tone signal and it was about a foot away from where it look like somebody had been digging a few days before. So I center over the target, get my pinpointer out and put the tip down on center of the target, moved a little grass and presto! I pick up a surface Mercury Dime:detecting: Someone detecting before me hit on a good target, went to digging and throwing dirt, unearthed the dime and didn't know it, left the hole, left the mess. Puts A New Meaning to "Lost And Found" you could say it like this!

They found the lost, lost what they found, leaving me to prosper due to their inability to properly recover the lost that they found.

Mark

In the best of all possible worlds they would get better at the former and worse at the latter. (I've found dug trash--and goodies before dumped together in places too-including parking lots.)
Heaven knows we do not even need holes left to get us banned from hunting-but they sure make it worse. Why is it the folks that complain never see the ruts left by cars and cycles from people that
tear up the ground?
Just a thought; back in the '80's hunting nice yards in Memphis, I bought some grass seed and carried it with me (any idea how many seeds are in a pound? :lol: ) Everyplace I dug, I sprinkled
a few seeds in with the repacked dirt-it definitely helped the first time it rained with some new green. I'm no Johnny Appleseed but I'd like to think I left a little good will behind. :biggrin:
Not saying it will help on public grounds---but sure cannot hurt.

Unfortunately, shoddy hole refills are not always done by a newbie. There are some dang nab long time hunters out there that do it, too. HH jim tn

Well they aren't recovering targets in the holes, so they must not be too keen on the whole thing... if that's all i have to do to keep it cool, then no worries, ill fill the holes. I have never seen anyone leave a hole open, wouldn't know how to address it if i did. on one hand i can see telling someone to pickup after themselves, and then i could see thinking its just not worth the hassle.

It's even worse when they leave the junk they've dug in the bottom of their "craters" with just enough dirt on top for the next sucker to find.

I hunt alot on private property and absolutely cover my holes back up only to come back the next day and find several of them open and dug out. I am positively sure no one else is hunting these sites. I can only guess that it's animals, armadillos, squirrels and the like. It happens quite often. Don't know what they're looking for though.

Yep. Raccoons do that. First time for me was when I added 8 new targets to a test bed. Next morning, six of eight holes were dug up. Set up a game camera and they came back that night and dug up three of the holes i had recovered. I have hunted many wooded areas and have returned to find holes dug out by critters. If your hunting someone's yard, wouldn't hurt to return in a couple of days and see if things are as you left it.

I have never heard of animals doing that, but i don't doubt for one moment that they do. What i saw was whole big clean shovel fulls of dirt sitting in a clump about a foot from the hole, didn't look like critters to me. I don't mind filling the holes. That's just a hassle. What really sucks is how many people see that and think poorly of anyone with a metal detector. I have literally removed buckets full of scrap metal and broken glass and litter from parks while detecting, throughout the years. I would say that parks benefit from us being out there.... Then stumbling along comes that lone goofy knuckle head with a garden shovel, and just like that we all get stink eye.... At least I nabbed a few keeps for my trouble. It makes me wonder if they just didn't recheck the hole on one because it was just below where they stopped digging, and the quarter was off to the side in the wall of one of the holes. not sure if maybe they didn't have a pin-pointer. Could have been a great opportunity to teach someone something, kinda help someone who doesn't know any better. But its probably like Jim Tn said... could be a guy with years of experience, but i doubt it considering the finds that went unfound.

I also carry grass seed with me and sprinkle it out
"When holes go bad"

Armadillos are bad too as are coons---worms, grubs, roots or whatever. And if worms are good enough for them-they are good enough for the worse pest of all,
grundus rattus obscurum, that will come right behind you-and re-evacuate the dirt you just filled in (I like to think of them as future foxhole diggers.) :lol:
http://earlylearning.momtrusted.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/digging-for-worms-by-momtrusted_com-682x1024.jpg

I was at a park one day, and looked back and a lady and dog was walking my foot steps and letting the dog dig every hole that I had dug and recovered. I got mad and went back and told the woman that she was as dumb as the dog. I asked why she though I was filling them up, she said the dog like to dig in holes. I told her if I see one more hole that the dog open I was going to report her to the park. She just walked away with her dog. People are so dumb anymore.

Very true that a lot of times holes can be from various non-human animals.

Also true that various grub foraging animals will reopen replaced plugs. A big part of the reason they can do that is that stomping doesn't seal the sides of the plug well making for an easy meal for the critters. I had that happen to me multiple times in my early detecting days. Since I started replacing my flap plugs by punching them with my fists especially around the sides, I haven't noticed any problems when I return to a site.