Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Legend vs Manticore

While I find the discussion very interesting, I also find it premature. The new ML has not even been released for sale to the public. Box to box comparisons will be made in due time. In the meantime, I will continue to hit the parks and fields with my Legend. I am still learning to get more out of the Legend and do so every time I go out detecting.

One is brand new technology, and not even available yet, and will have a 2D screen, to help make a dig/ no dig decision.
The other has already been available for about 6 months, has had numerous firmware updates, (aprox. 30 changes to date) and may stll have yet another firmware update in the near future.
So a 2D screen I guess is cool, but what is the new technology supposed to do better? Ive said sometime in the future a detector will “see” in the ground like a live x-ray. I don’t think we are quite there yet though. I sense a bit of bashing on one. I think they both probably had numerous adjustments the difference is one did all the adjustments for months then rolled it out whereas the other rolled it out early then let the user’s input help make adjustments.
Maybe why there is still no release date on it. Maybe it will be in 6 months after 30 more adjustments.
Be interesting to see how accurately it works just like the numbers on detectors . Screen might show a quarter four inches down and it is actually a pulltab 6 inches down.
Maybe that is where the extra price comes in for a 2d screen. As many others in the past only it was more for a vdi number screen now a 2d screen. Maybe wont be long before we have that 3d x-ray screen. Be interesting to see at that point if it also takes some of the excitement out of the hobby if you can now actually see all the “buried” treasures. i would suppose it would be similar to just walking around now just looking at the ground and picking up anything interesting.

While I find the discussion very interesting, I also find it premature. The new ML has not even been released for sale to the public. Box to box comparisons will be made in due time. In the meantime, I will continue to hit the parks and fields with my Legend. I am still learning to get more out of the Legend and do so every time I go out detecting.
Right but my point before actually buying one wouldn’t you want to see what you are getting for your money.
If not i have some shoe boxes of stuff i can sell you

Forgot to add that stores are actually asking for your pre orders and payment now.
So before i dish out $1600 now i would like to know what i would be sending my money towards

There are imaging detectors available, for a price ... one of them is the Nokta Invenio. You could buy several Legends for the price of the Invenio.
Yeah what I’m talking about is way more advanced than that. Basically whats used for example in the medical field.
Not just a reconstruction of an image per say as it all is but more like an actual x-ray film. Just as a xray of your spine having metal hardware like screws and rods. The actual shape, size, location, etc

Still not sure what they mean by 2D. Obviously, not the common meaning of 2D.
I was looking at Manticore thread for info and not a lot on there.
I don’t really use the screen( vdi ) hardly ever but go by sounds.
So if the 2d is the main thing only, for nearly $1000 more i just don’t see myself getting one when everything else is about identical.
Not bashing ML at all as i had and liked some of their machines. It was even a toss up between the Nox 800 and Legend and for the money very happy with the Legend.
I would need something significantly more than just 2d screen for that price.
Personally i would just be second guessing the 2d same as the vdi numbers. We all know the numbers can be misleading and not always accurate.
Maybe one day if they ever come out with an X-ray technology like when i get one of my spine and shows the metal in it, then i will go by the screen

Guys, the Manticore has not even been released yet. Detectors are a matter of preference, so it is very hard to argue that one detector is better than another, especially when one of them has not even been released to the market. Minelab has a great following, including myself, for their detectors. I also have a Legend and I think Notka has done a tremendous job on its first venture. My reason for buying the Legend initially was to see what another company would do with the
multi-frequency technology that Minelab released the patent to. Notka and Deus did just that. Now can I compare the Deus to the legend and say one is better than the other? No, because I'm not spending the money to buy the Deus. I had the original and I personally did not like it. I have an Equinox and I love it. I just a few months ago had an opportunity to compare them side by side (I have a post here on that) and I was very impressed with the results. In my opinion the Legend can stand against many other detectors, but again it is a matter of opinion. Will I stand up and say the legend is better than the equinox, no. Wills I say the Equinox is better than the Legend? again no. Both are excellent detectors. The final decision is in the mind of the person using either. I have been detecting for over 50 years, and the accomplishments of all manufacturers have done nothing but evolve over the years, and lets be thankful for that. Lets at least wait till the Manitore is in hand before comparing. And even then, it will still be up to the user to determine its value. HH

There are imaging detectors available, for a price ... one of them is the Nokta Invenio. You could buy several Legends for the price of the Invenio.
Great point.
Comparing a Nokta Invenio at $5000 to the $1600 Manticore would be a much better evaluation with the same result.
One could purchase 3 of the brand new Minelab Manticore's , for the price of just 1 Nokta Invenio.
Makes the Manticore seem like a really great deal.
But again, way to soon to begin comparing brand new technology with old.

Guys, the Manticore has not even been released yet.
I keep seeing a common response about it is premature to have this discussion as it is not released yet, but dealers are asking for preorders and payment NOW.
Again if someone wants your money now to secure something wouldn’t you want some details about what you are putting out $1600 for?
I can see send us your $20 for something, worst case you wasted $20, and maybe $1600 is pennies to some on this thread but to ask if dishing out $1600 is going to get you something better and not basically the same thing is too much to ask then i have to believe nobody wants to honestly answer that question due to bias reasons. Now it seems we went from asking details on the Manticore compared to the Legend to the Nokta Invenio???
No i wouldn’t spend the extra money for an Invenio from a Legend but stick to the topic and tell me why i should spend the extra $1000 on a Manticore other than a 2d screen.

I keep seeing a common response about it is premature to have this discussion as it is not released yet, but dealers are asking for preorders and payment NOW.
To me, if an individual wants to get on a pre-order list with the information thats' now available, why should their decision to do so be a concern of someone else? Just wondering, that's all! HH jim tn

To each his own on pre-ordering. Being on a list is one thing , prepaying is another ; I might consider a refundable deposit. If a dealer wants to move those willing to prepay ahead of others , that again is their choice.

To me, if an individual wants to get on a pre-order list with the information thats' now available, why should their decision to do so be a concern of someone else? Just wondering, that's all! HH jim tn
Yes why is it a concern to others from ML threads to bash on a Nokta Makro thread i wonder myself.
I am asking as a NM and ML user if i have a Legend is it worth it for ME to spend the extra money on a Manticore?
I am not asking for anyone else who wants to spend the money on one, i could care less frankly, but for MYSELF.
Who knows Legends better, a sole ML user? Or Legend user? Hence why i asked it on the Legend thread. Do ML users really know a lot more about a detector that isn’t even released and about a detector they don’t even own? But it’s probably better answered by those that own at least one of them and have more than likely used the other brand.
I don’t know how much clearer i can ask the question. Of Course some have to make this about ML vs NM thats not what this is about. Ive had both and like both.
If someone on a ML thread is bashing a Legend i have no idea because I don’t go there and get involved or concerned. As i said I’m curious as why they have to come on the Legend thread and do it.
Not really a big internet and social media person but what is that called, trolling I believe is the word.
If you can’t answer informatively and with decency then please butt out.
Don’t make this more than what it is.

To each his own on pre-ordering. Being on a list is one thing , prepaying is another ; I might consider a refundable deposit. If a dealer wants to move those willing to prepay ahead of others , that again is their choice.
Unless im pretty set on something for sure, young and healthy I’d probably prefer the money to sit in my bank account especially if the date is unknown just sayin
Im still waiting on a $1000 part for my car exactly one year later, they keep pushing out a month every month

Again if someone wants your money now to secure something wouldn’t you want some details about what you are putting out $1600 for?
I can see send us your $20 for something, worst case you wasted $20, and maybe $1600 is pennies to some on this thread but to ask if dishing out $1600 is going to get you something better and not basically the same thing is too much to ask then i have to believe nobody wants to honestly answer that question due to bias reasons. Now it seems we went from asking details on the Manticore compared to the Legend to the Nokta Invenio???
No i wouldn’t spend the extra money for an Invenio from a Legend but stick to the topic and tell me why i should spend the extra $1000 on a Manticore other than a 2d screen.
Not ALL dealers are asking for the money up front. I personally have one on pre-order and do not have to pay until it ships to me. Not all dealers are more concerned about the money than their customer's satisfaction. I totally agree with your question and answers. My initial reason for investing in the Legend was to see how another company besides ML would integrate the multi-freq that ML developed. Notka has done an incredible job of that. Plus it is refreshing to have a company listen to it's customers and react in their interests. The one question that has not been answered as yet for me is, if ML was willing to drop their patent rights on Multi-freq, then what do they have in the wings to replace it with that is incredibly revolutionary? Thanks for the posts friend.

Not ALL dealers are asking for the money up front. I personally have one on pre-order and do not have to pay until it ships to me. Not all dealers are more concerned about the money than their customer's satisfaction.
Especially being personally screwed by a dealer over a $80 part, real reluctant to send in $1600
Thanks for the info