Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Legend vs Manticore

I paid $800 for my nox and sold it for $725 a year later. I'll buy your Legend for $150.

Proof will be in the pudding, when you can actually swing the machine. Until then, it's all just measurebating.
I hold on to my machines forever so resale isn't really a factor for me. In fact I JUST recently sold my White's V3i and I was one of the first to have it (converted V3 during the testing period). I doubt the legend would drop to $150 since people are paying that much and more for used Simplex+ (that retails for less than $300) right now.

Imagine sitting at the traffic light in your BMW. The light turns green, you floor it, and all of a sudden you're easily passed by a… Prius. Some BMW owners after such "humiliation" go to BMW forums and rant how much better BMW is, cuz it has bigger cupholders.
Seems that way doesn’t it

I hold on to my machines forever so resale isn't really a factor for me. In fact I JUST recently sold my White's V3i and I was one of the first to have it (converted V3 during the testing period). I doubt the legend would drop to $150 since people are paying that much and more for used Simplex+ (that retails for less than $300) right now.
It seemed like something wasn’t adding up,
Then the simplex would have been reselling for $75 ?
If used Legends are selling for $150 let me know please because i will pick one up as a spare or for parts as I don’t plan on reselling it either.

Imagine sitting at the traffic light in your BMW. The light turns green, you floor it, and all of a sudden you're easily passed by a… Prius. Some BMW owners after such "humiliation" go to BMW forums and rant how much better BMW is, cuz it has bigger cupholders.
You know unfortunately some keep going down this road basically because they are just “fanboys”.
That is the mistake they are making by making my simple question more than what it really is.
They don’t understand that i am not a fanboy of anything period.
I am not beholden to anyone or anything not even a political party.
If they can’t answer a question sincerely they would rather deflect and distract.
They act just like politicians

If I recall correctly, the intro video for the Manticore stresses that the amount of power for transmitting the signals into the ground is substantially greater than any other detector allowing for greater depth and target id.
And that is not always a plus ... particularly when dealing with highly mineralized ground and rapidly changing mineralization ... also more drain on the battery.

How does the transmit power compare to a high output PI? I looked at the web page and there is no talk of numbers that I see.

If I recall correctly, the intro video for the Manticore stresses that the amount of power for transmitting the signals into the ground is substantially greater than any other detector allowing for greater depth and target id.
Maybe I misunderstood it. The way I interpreted it anyway was that the 50% more power is just in the battery power and only compared to the equinox in battery power.
Furthermore the extra battery power is supposed to give more power to the coils?
And by more power to the coils equals more field of depth?
Not an engineer not sure how that works if simply adding more battery power to the coil would increase the field respectively.
At some point i would think their are limitations in how much a certain size coil can transmit. Not to mention accounting for oversensativitu and emi.
So then equal size coils between the Legend and Manticore, more depth with Manticore because of more battery power?
Thanks for a sincere response

Reactions: tvr
And that is not always a plus ... particularly when dealing with highly mineralized ground and rapidly changing mineralization ... also more drain on the battery.

How does the transmit power compare to a high output PI? I looked at the web page and there is no talk of numbers that I see.
I just emphasized that as you were posting and noticed your post interesting to know

the intro video for the Manticore stresses that the amount of power for transmitting the signals into the ground is substantially greater
…which will make it shine in air tests. Now imagine shining a flashlight into dense fog. You can barely see, so you crank up the brightness tenfold. Congrats, now you're totally blinded by glowing fog!…

Is it possible that the FCC relaxed some regulations for VLF transmitters, especially their power? Sure. Will increased power be beneficial in real world metal detecting scenarios? Only in some soils, and far away from the structures. Oh, and just like in my flashlight example, extra power works better if you offset transmitter and receiver, in this case – in 2-box machines. That's pretty much impossible with DD coils.

…which will make it shine in air tests. Now imagine shining a flashlight into dense fog. You can barely see, so you crank up the brightness tenfold. Congrats, now you're totally blinded by glowing fog!…

Is it possible that the FCC relaxed some regulations for VLF transmitters, especially their power? Sure. Will increased power be beneficial in real world metal detecting scenarios? Only in some soils, and far away from the structures. Oh, and just like in my flashlight example, extra power works better if you offset transmitter and receiver, in this case – in 2-box machines. That's pretty much impossible with DD coils.
I just keep thinking right now it’s sometimes hard to run full sensitivity as it is especially in areas highly mineralized, etc without it being so unstable let alone cranking up more power through it. As someone said not so sure if that is always good

Comparing these 2 machines, is like comparing apples to oranges.
Sounds like someone is not happy with the Legend that they already own, and trying to justify and/or compare it with a Manticore, that is not even available yet.
My suggestion would be to sell the legend , but wait untill the new unit is released, and into the hands of consumers who will put it to work.
Problem solved!

Comparing these 2 machines, is like comparing apples to oranges.
Sounds like someone is not happy with the Legend that they already own, and trying to justify and/or compare it with a Manticore, that is not even available yet.
My suggestion would be to sell the legend , but wait untill the new unit is released, and into the hands of consumers who will put it to work.
Problem solved!
Did it ever cross your mind maybe i would like more than one detector?
I believe there might be one or two hobbyists that have more than one.
I had 4 different ones at one point, man i must have been a freak.
I like the Legend but buying another detector that is very similar is kind of a waste of money.
Maybe i want an apple and an orange but not two apples or two oranges.
Having both a Legend and Equinox doesn’t seem very feasible. So what then? A Manticore ? Well Gee I don’t know because I can’t seem to get a straight answer about it other than the only difference is the 2d which is not something that interests me. Does it have anything else that is different than the Legend that is worth for me to spend the extra money then ? Well Gee I don’t know because I can’t get a non bias straight answer.
So tell me what multi purpose detector has all my needs and wants and is good for me.
This all seemed to start with “rubberneck” complaining it was offensive to “his people” .
Are you one of his “people”?
Because this whole thing is getting really wierd.

I think it is hard to do any meaningful comparisons until both detectors have been widely used unless you are just comparing features and not performance. I know one thing, Minelab has a way to go to match the build quality of the Nokta machines. I also think accurate I.D. at depth has gone about as far as it can go on the current platforms, I think unmasking ability and the ability to give a firm I.D. on coins that are on edge is more important to get those tricky targets that have been left behind. That's my opinion as a coin hunter. I have a Legend now and the jury is still out for me because I haven't run long enough to pass judgement on its performance.

A representative for Minelab is taking the new machine on a tour of Europe to show off the new machine and its abilities. There are a few youtube videos where it has been put in the hands of a user from a variety of countries who walks fields with the detector with the rep by their side. He also explains how to use the machine and some of its features. Take a look and maybe you will find your answers to your questions.

I think it is hard to do any meaningful comparisons until both detectors have been widely used unless you are just comparing features and not performance.
Yes, for the most part that’s basically what i have been saying this whole time.
Out of box features and price.
Now of course because there is such a huge price difference i was inquiring what other than just a 2d screen would be advantageous to me if i have the Legend.
Since a 2d screen is not something i am interested in, is any other thing about it beneficial to spend that much or am i just better off saving my money and just using the Legend for now until something else comes along with some other new technology.
As i see it anyways the rest of the technology and features is just a cross between the Legend and Equinox.
And as I’ve stated I would just have one or the other of those two machines.
I don’t even really use the screen on the Legend other than just seeing and adjusting my settings.
Why do i even have the Legend if I don’t use vdi ? Because it has all the other features i want in a detector and they don’t make one without vdi that im aware of. If ML made a waterproof sovereign gt that was 3 lbs total and both smf and choice if vlf frequencies, BT headphones i would have bought that. The Vanquish was close and i considered it at first but just slightly more the Legend had everything.
The closest thing so far seems the Manticore but its an awful big price jump so I have to ask. I don’t think its too much to ask what im getting for my money that’s different than what I already have.

For water use, a good low drag coil is very desirable. The 11 inch HeadHunter Pulse coil was very sweet in that respect. Manticore coil with all those ridges looks like a lot of water drag. The Legend coil looks a lot closer to one of the Excal Tornado coils which are not bad in the water. Pictured are HeadHunter Pulse, Manticore and Legend coils.

HHPulseCoil.jpgMANTICORECoil.pngLegendCoil.png

Go ahead and get on the list for pre order.

I would because no matter what everyone has mentioned you are trying to convince yourself to get the new minelab instead of the legend anyways.

The legend users are out having a great time digging up goodies and sharing post.

The minelab wish list is exact what it is.......may be here by Christmas.

So you can go ahead and get a unit that is proven out in the field or kick back and argue with everyone willing to chime in on a thread you started about comparing a machine no one knows a thing about to one that is available.

That is awesome

For water use, a good low drag coil is very desirable. The 11 inch HeadHunter Pulse coil was very sweet in that respect. Manticore coil with all those ridges looks like a lot of water drag. The Legend coil looks a lot closer to one of the Excal Tornado coils which are not bad in the water. Pictured are HeadHunter Pulse, Manticore and Legend coils.

View attachment 29784View attachment 29785View attachment 29786
You know, first of all I totally agree with you and funny you mention this because one of my all time favorite machines because i live on the coast and used to do a lot beach hunting was the excalliber II with the 10” tornado coil. A bit heavy but really liked it. I paid the most i ever paid for a detector for it $1250 brand new. All other multi use detectors i paid from $300-$700.
I have a great multi use detector i just paid $639 new for now. If you want me to pay $1600 for one at least tell me what I am getting that is different to my liking.

Go ahead and get on the list for pre order.

I would because no matter what everyone has mentioned you are trying to convince yourself to get the new minelab instead of the legend anyways.

The legend users are out having a great time digging up goodies and sharing post.

The minelab wish list is exact what it is.......may be here by Christmas.

So you can go ahead and get a unit that is proven out in the field or kick back and argue with everyone willing to chime in on a thread you started about comparing a machine no one knows a thing about to one that is available.

That is awesome
Thing is I already have the Legend and will keep it as i like it. Adding to the collection as i was hoping for a ML as well is the other story.
Pre order is a bit confusing as the release date is uncertain and from what i read not until 2023.
On top of that payment is required right now in full. Now i have been told not everyone is requesting payment up front. So is the reservation the same?
Do people who actually pay get them first? Many uncertainties.
But even before that point is the final decision of if it’s worth the price.
Here lays where the the questions are being asked.
I understand some are just those that automatically get the latest what a company puts out.
Take IPhone for example, i know those that wait all year and get the newest IPhone as soon as it comes out every year. My phone is 3 years old, I haven’t seen enough of a change in things worth it for me to upgrade. As soon as i see one with some cool new features that is different i will. Hope this clarifies where i am coming from.