Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Let me pick your brains...

I'm trying to figure out what detector to get for a loaner. Whether it be grandkids, friends or folks who have given me permission to hunt their property and want to join in.

I'm looking to spend under $400 and don't really have a problem with buying used.

About my only requirements are that it must have VDI numbers AND it must have volume control on the machine.

Ease of use is very important! I'd really like to find something that I could have the user up and finding stuff in 10 minutes or less. In other words, not a complicated machine.... something easy to teach quickly.

Please give me your recommendations and why you are recommending that particular model.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Phillip

P.S. I'll probably be looking for one of the recommended machines around the end of October or first of November.....so IF you just happen to have one that you're recommending,and want to sell it, please feel free to message me with your offer, but I'd still like to see your thoughts and recommendations posted for all to see.

I would suggest taking a good look at the Simplex x by Nokta/Makro, which is do out for sale anytime now. Pretty amazing detector it appears at a $300. price point. HH jim tn

I have an F70 and have done shockingly well with it over the years.
Simple out of the box factory settings can find you 90% of what's out there, lots of those settings are adjustable and can help you find the other 10% in problem sites with extreme trash, iron and other issues.
If you even want to mess with the settings at all, that is...you don't have to and you will still find the goods.

The $699 F70 is discontinued but then FTP came out with the same exact unit with all the same features and abilities except they lowered the price down to $399 and now it is called the Patriot.
It is ergonomically light, fast and can be shockingly deep.
One of the best valued all around machines on the market today still, in my opinion, anyway.

Turn on & go simple, easy to set up and make changes--several programs, coins, beach or prospecting. (some variants have tones)
It has an easy to see lit meter with a wide VDI range.
The ground control can be locked or tracking. Its very lightweight, and has a variety of loops, concentric or DD--big or small.
Has excellent disc/i.d. of bottlecaps and works very good in picking out conductors in iron.
And its as deep as you care to dig. It was designed many years ago by D. Johnson, and is a solid 2-filter design: lots of users, and preowned units are
easy to find at very good prices..

I'd have to agree on the Simplex for the money. After using many of the Nokta/Makro detectors, I think they offer great performance at a really reasonable price and their customer service is second to none. Along the lines of the MXT, I'd go for an White's M6. Turn on and go, VDI, Auto ground Balance or Tracking, Tone ID, Rugged and dependable, and a huge assortment of accessory coils to choose from. Used price $300 or less.

The EuroTek Pro is probably one of the better loaner machines.....Light weight, preset ground balance, simple display, you can control both target and iron audio volume. Audio is easy on the ears...Take a look at the manual and see what you think.

My friends take to it pretty fast.

HH
Mike

Mike, You're right. The EuroTek Pro is another good Loaner. I bought one for my sister.

jim tn said:
I would suggest taking a good look at the Simplex x by Nokta/Makro, which is do out for sale anytime now. Pretty amazing detector it appears at a $300. price point. HH jim tn

Wow Jim! That wasn't even on my radar. It certainly is now! I just love the videos about it.

Thanks for sharing,

Phillip

REVIER said:
I have an F70 and have done shockingly well with it over the years.
Simple out of the box factory settings can find you 90% of what's out there, lots of those settings are adjustable and can help you find the other 10% in problem sites with extreme trash, iron and other issues.
If you even want to mess with the settings at all, that is...you don't have to and you will still find the goods.

The $699 F70 is discontinued but then FTP came out with the same exact unit with all the same features and abilities except they lowered the price down to $399 and now it is called the Patriot.
It is ergonomically light, fast and can be shockingly deep.
One of the best valued all around machines on the market today still, in my opinion, anyway.

REVIER, You have me really intrigued with that one. I'm going to have to give that some serious consideration.

vkad said:
Turn on & go simple, easy to set up and make changes--several programs, coins, beach or prospecting. (some variants have tones)
It has an easy to see lit meter with a wide VDI range.
The ground control can be locked or tracking. Its very lightweight, and has a variety of loops, concentric or DD--big or small.
Has excellent disc/i.d. of bottlecaps and works very good in picking out conductors in iron.
And its as deep as you care to dig. It was designed many years ago by D. Johnson, and is a solid 2-filter design: lots of users, and preowned units are
easy to find at very good prices..

I'll look at the MXT some more. Does it have volume control? I already have the M6 so that would be a great fit in being able to share coils. I love the VDI set up.

Tom Slick said:
I'd have to agree on the Simplex for the money. After using many of the Nokta/Makro detectors, I think they offer great performance at a really reasonable price and their customer service is second to none. Along the lines of the MXT, I'd go for an White's M6. Turn on and go, VDI, Auto ground Balance or Tracking, Tone ID, Rugged and dependable, and a huge assortment of accessory coils to choose from. Used price $300 or less.

Hey Tom, the Simplex does look really good and while I agree with your comments on Nokta/Makro (I just LOVE the Racer 2), it seems that almost every new detector hitting the market has multiple issues that have to be worked out. If I wind up waiting on making this purchase until after the Simplex is out (and doing well), I will probably go that way - sounds like a great backup to the nox. As for the M6, that will always be my favorite machine. If it had a backlight and volume control, it would still be my only detector.

Mike Hillis said:
The EuroTek Pro is probably one of the better loaner machines.....Light weight, preset ground balance, simple display, you can control both target and iron audio volume. Audio is easy on the ears...Take a look at the manual and see what you think.

My friends take to it pretty fast.

HH
Mike

Tom Slick said:
Mike, You're right. The EuroTek Pro is another good Loaner. I bought one for my sister.

Mike and Tom - LOVE the price point. I may go that way just for that reason (less concern about breakage). How does it compare to.... let's say the Ace 250? I don't want the person using the loaner thinking that I've given them a toy while I'm using the "real detector."

Thanks everyone for your input! Saw many detectors suggested that I hadn't even considered. One that I was hoping to see is the Garrett Ace 400. Anyone have any experience with it?

which can allow you to "cheat" on running the gain high.
(All my headphones have volume controls--currently using Gray Ghost+Garrett Z-Lynk.)

I bought a $200 Fisher F2 several years ago only to use as a loner and to take on vacation once in awhile.
It was so good, so productive and so much fun to use I upgraded it to my prime detector.
In 3 seasons I found more than 12 X's its cost...close to $1000 in clad, tons of older coins, relics and more silver and gold than you will probably believe.

The F22 is its replacement and the F44 is even more featured rich.
Just 2 more to add to the list and confuse you.

REVIER said:
The F22 is its replacement and the F44 is even more featured rich.
Just 2 more to add to the list and confuse you.

LOL!!! Thanks! Just what I need. Actually I'm still considering the whole F70/Patriot thing.

Shocked and surprised to see the MXT-pro doesn't have volume control. Crying shame when there's a smoking deal on one in the classifieds.

Phillip
F70/Patriot not the best choice for a Loaner. Too many adjustments and often false signals due to EMI compared to others listed above. JMHO

Look at the simplex great detector and wireless headphones just over $300.00
Mark

Smplex waterproof wireless headphones and looks like it finds!
Mark

Hi Phillip.

what are you using now? Are you in New Mexico with moderate to high mineralized dirt and ground noise/ground balancing is an issue? Are the people who will most likely be using your loaner newbies and are they able to swing a 3+ pound detector for any length of time or will they need something a bit lighter?

The Simplex looks and sounds like a fantastic detector. I have owned or used the Makro Gold Racer, Gold Kruzer and Multi Kruzer. They are sturdy, well made detectors but they feel heavy to me and I'm no wimp. The Simplex is already reported to be similarly weighty and nose heavy by two video reviewers that I trust and normally use AT Pros which also feel heavy to most people. Newbies that can't swing the detector are not going to have much fun. Just something to think about.

I have used these detectors for loaners and you should be able to find used or new for under $400

Teknetics Minuteman/Eurotek Pro - can handle an amazing range of ground conditions considering it has fixed ground balance, big display, easy features, adjustable 3 piece shaft you can remove the middle section for short people, less than 2.5 lbs, well balanced. very good numerical target ID down to 5" in mineralized dirt. Great onboard pinpointing. *You would need headphones with an inline volume control* For the money, an incredible deal. My grown, newbie kids and younger relatives love to use this detector!!!!

Fisher F22 or F44. weather resistant, lightweight-less than 2.5 lbs, very good numerical target ID down to about 5" in mineralized dirt, F44 can be ground balanced but it is a bit finicky with the little arrows..............yuck! More complicated than the EuroTek Pro but easy to use once its setup. and three piece shaft adjustable.

Whites Treasure Pro or Treasure Master, (my 23 year old daughters favorite) a little heavier than the FTPs, excellent display, not as accurate in mineralized dirt. Really fun detectors. I don't like the stock DD coil. The Treasure Master concentric coil is excellent. Just a two piece shaft????? and less adjustable.Less than 3 lbs.

For a bit heavier and more complicated to set up but easy to use as loaners-

Minelab Xterra 305, 505 or 705. Excellent detectors that are good in mineralization and aren't hard to use after being setup. My niece and nephew, 15 and 12 years old love to use my old Xterra 50.......... around 3 lbs.

Makro Racer or Racer 2, Fisher F19, Teknetics G2+ weigh 3lbs or a bit less, depending on the coil

AT Pro Whites M6 or MX7. These all weigh closer to 4lbs

You maybe able to find one of these excellent mid-level detectors for under $400 used They are easy to use after setup and can handle some mineralization.

Jeff