Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Let's get the ball rollin' on these re-calibrated Gold Bugs!!

BuckeyeBrad

Just got mine earlier this morning and had to see what it could do in some static testing. To state it briefly in an acronym form, O....M....G...!!!!!! Granted, it's raining and I won't be able to check performance in the ground today, so I was testing targets on the ground that has some iron nearby and on concrete that has re-rod in it, all I can say is HOLY Crap!! This thing ROCKS and believe me, if all of them are like this one, there is gonna be a whole lot of people REALLY happy with them and I think we all will quickly get over the frustration that was a result of this introduction and it's initial (people related, not design related!!) problems. Briefly, I checked it with the stock coil and the 11" DD Frat Boy coil. Relic hunters will be flat in love and coin hunters will be extremely pleased also. Big high conductors (silver halves and dollars) are not only no longer an issue but the GB actually has similar depth response as the Frat's. One thing that I already noticed that I'm sure most will love is the stability bar has apparently been bumped up a bunch!! As I stated, I checked the GB with the 5" and the 11" DD and stability on both was uhh...well you need to see it for yourselves and be prepared to smile broadly. In the disc mode, fringe ID is greatly improved also. I also used and checked/compared the Omega with both of these coils. The stability with both coils on the Omega really wasn't close and now keep in mind that we all know the Frat Boys are usually much easier to control than the 75's/T-2's etc. I was doing all of this in my garage that has a bunch of flourescent lighting, a lot of large metal objects in it, and I'm near several huge sources of RF emission. The Omega started to "talk" with either coil whenever I got above 60. The 5" lasted a little longer but not by much. The 5" on the GB could be run wide open totally silent while the 11" only had some slight interference when the 'Bug was wide open. Albeit, and keep in mind that this is just what I saw from these few initial checks, the GB is pretty damn (sorry but I'm excited!) amazing!! Just from these brief initial observations, I'll say the folks at First Texas/Fisher have come up with a definite winner and once folks try one of these, if they aren't both pleased and excited to imagine where this platform is headed, well, you must be dead. :biggrin: Oh and lastly, if it makes any difference and just for the record, I am not "officially" testing this detector for FT. I bought it, I LIKE it, deal with it. ;) More to come as I get the chance.

Do you think the high conductor depth is acceptable?I ahve wondered how hot it would be across the board...I know the Omega is hotter on the top high end and the T-2 is pretty universal across the range do you see the Bug leaning towards the low end more than the middle and high end on conductor's?? I was hoping it was going to be like a X-5 high freq but hot on it all...If it is man that will be a heck of a unit...

Glad they got it done right...Wonder what they had to do ??

Good report

Keith

Hi Keith,
By all early indications, which could change when I get some diverse in ground time on it, they not only got it right but it appears to be good enoughgood enough to make me reshuffle my deck so to speak. Air testing intentionally near large metal objects and in ground iron, it demonstrated as good as or even better depth than the Frats on large high conductors which surprised me. Actually under this particular scenario, the Omega lost a slight bit of depth on the Silver half and dollar also, which again surprised me. It's (the GB) depth response isn't linear in that mid conductors on down are fantastic while large silver is excellent but less, keeping in mind that when compared to the Omega with the same two coils it was right there in line. This thing should bring a lot of Indian Heads, half dimes, 3 centers etc to light that have been missed over the years. Response to zinc range objects, minnies, round balls etc is disturbingly POSITIVE!! Not a bad thing at all! I'm also aware that what I'm seeing is contingent to the fact that I'm using these coils "universally" and they might not be optimized for both detectors BUT I see no reason to believe there are any significant effects from this as both detectors, particularly the Omega seems to be acting "normal" with the 5" GB coil as does the GB with the 11" coil. Gotta hit the road so it'll be later before I can respond any further.

I bought one from my dealer and finished up payment and was waiting for it. He called me and told me although he corrected one thing, he wanted to make sure everything else was right so he sent it back to FT. Glad he did...well done Mr. Bill !! Now I hope they fixed/corrected it so it gets the same results as yours Brad !

Hopefully I have it prior to going on vacation to the NJ beach for 10 days....want to use it there and see what transpires.I will definitely report back as to how it fared in the wet and dry sand ( I don't think it will have a problem on the dry...it's the wet sand I am really interested in). Going to also bring down my X3 to compare notes with. I wanted another light weight unit, but with manual GB, two tone ID and display, and the GB fit the bill.

I got it with both coils, and glad to hear the 11 inch DD can be run pretty wide open. Will probably use that coil the most on the beach, but ya never know.

JC

...that the first two I tested were nso impressive I sold my LTD. That was why I was so upset when I got mine and saw what others received also.
My bug will be here Thursday and if it works as the first cabellas did I have no problems running it as my main unit.
I did alot of testing in Az for a month and I know it was easily deeper than the F75 (non ltd)...used me side by side...it had an inch or so on the F75 with both using the 11" dd.

If your Canadian, have no Fedex in your Town, be prepared to pay more money to send it off to Fisher Labs. My initial purchase of the goldbug was $50 in duty to get it here. Add another $21.14 to send it snail mail to El Paso for repairs and I am dinged $71.14! Just FYI for anyone else who needs to send it back for repairs. I hope that its worth it, but I gotta say, this post spirred me into action today to send mine off.

Awesome performance and a rock solid machine... gotta love it!

Dave said it is his best effort yet. I predict a cult detector in the making! :biggrin:

Tom

Azsh07,

Like you, I bought my Gold Bug from Cabella's and it has worked great. I thought yours did to.
What was wrong with it?

...nothing was wrong with the Cabela's one...it was the SE version I got that had the same issues as everyone elses.
I have two..a Cabelas version and the SE.

I just got my GB SE back about a hr ago and will test it out later tonight or in the am..
They sent me another hat with it it and a 11" coil, so i am a happy camper now...

azsh07,

Thank you for clarifying that. Now I understand. I'm sure they will take the bugs out
of the Gold Bug (SE Version), if they want to continue selling them they will have to.
As I said, I'm happy with mine. A great machine.

For anyone who got they'res back....any change in the "all metal" mode performance. My unit has the problem with the "discriminate' mode, but works well in "all metal"...Ive got a prospecting trip coming up and decided to wait to send it in, till the rainy season starts. Glad that your happy with the fix. I really like the machine, my first priority is the "all metal" mode, but Im looking forward to getting the "disc" mode to work as advertised though,...if it works as deep as a F70 or F75 in discriminate I'll be thrilled!!

FT wants to check and repair any initial release Gold Bug SE's that demonstrates questionable performance, ie the large silver thing etc. If you have an issue in one of these detectors, all you need to do is contact FT/Fisher and they will cover the shipping of the unit both ways. Make a phone call and it'll happen. You'll be happy you did. :bouncy:

BuckeyeBrad said:
FT wants to check and repair any initial release Gold Bug SE's that demonstrates questionable performance, ie the large silver thing etc. If you have an issue in one of these detectors, all you need to do is contact FT/Fisher and they will cover the shipping of the unit both ways. Make a phone call and it'll happen. You'll be happy you did. :bouncy:

I spoke to Felix from Fisher in El Paso Texas (Hes a great guy to talk to btw), and unfortunately, they are unable to pay the shipping by snail mail. They only cover the costs through Fedex and no other shipping company such as Purolator etc. At no time was I told that they would cover shipping costs using Canada Post.

HI all
I have just posted my GB back to Fisher and was surprised in that it only cost AU $26. It seems very reasonable for postage from Australia to USA. I did insure it for a minimal amount so I could track it if it goes missing. I only sent the control box to keep the weight down. I wonder if it will be any better when it is returned?

Cheers
Steve D

I am glad you posted that. I just got one of mine back (other three still not there), but have not yet had time to play with it yet. I will do some testing tonight.

Scully

I'll definitely be keeping in contact with you as I get more field time on the SE. What a great different feature set this gem has!!

Day 2 of mine being MIA enroute to Texas and I am getting withdrawls already):puke:
Steve, I think they would want the coil that came with it back as well? Atleast, that is what I was told to send back, the coil and the control box.

I took my GB SE out for a hunt last night and it works perfect now. It was gone for a little over a mo but it was worth the wait.

I figured, short term pain for long term gain) Would you be able to tell me how far down the Gold Bug will find a dime Space Weasel?