Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Let's get this party started!!!

Or as Explorer suggested earlier, just see if a knife blade will scratch the part you think is a crystal. Gotta know where a knife is, even if youre moving!

(and Ex, in the OP he said it came from 'near a coal mine', not out of a gypsum mine.)

Sorry guys! Focused on other things! Here is what I found.

Vinegar does nothing. Can scratch it with a knife. It will scratch a copper penny.

Does that help?

Thanks!

I was wrong. Not any form of qtz(hardness test) nor carbonate (acid test). But scratching copper kinda rules out pure gypsum/selenite.

KinTN said:
I was wrong. Not any form of qtz(hardness test) nor carbonate (acid test). But scratching copper kinda rules out pure gypsum/selenite.

So... What are some other possibilities?

The best one is to take it to a local rock/gem store or show. Or a local college geo dept. Seriously, id'ing over the net is very iffy.

KinTN said:
I'd call your powerline mineral a 'manmade fulgarite'. Neat!

I remember being intrigued years ago at the thought of finding fused ground from a lightning strike.

I have a fairly large piece that I believe is fossilized tree. I will post up pics in the future. I used to regularly find petrified wood along the North Saskatchewan river. But this large chunk of petrified wood ? came from southern Saskatchewan, Canada. It has unusual patterns and I find it to be quite interesting.

Years back I visited my brother in the AF in Sacramento, CA... We took a Saturday and drove up to the American river north of the city. There in a canyon we panned for gold and poked around. Did a little target shooting as well. On the way back to the truck I spotted the piece of quartz just lieing aside the river buried in the silt but partially washed clean. Picked it up and cracked it in half. There in a bed of crystals were several small shafts of gold and other minerals.. I was releived of one half of the rock by my brother and managed to bring the other half back to PA where it resides in a cabinet. I think gold ran $32.00 and ounce back then. We looked around for more and there was a lot of quarts but after smashing a couple dozen the gold find was not repeated. Have dreamt about getting back out there someday with a MD... Was young and dumb at the time... Now I'm old and slow....

My wife is the same way Mud we go on vacation and she finds couple of hundred pound rocks she wants me to load up so she can bring them home, I just look at them and tell her she'll have to find something smaller :) If I can remember I'll have to post the picture of what I think is a fairly big piece of petrified wood my parents found and brought back from Az in 1969.

If you like petrified wood check this out. On our Christmas vacation trip we ran across this building built out of petrified wood in north central Texas.

That's neat, Explorer. Can you be more specific as to where it is? I'd like to see it the next time I'm thru there. Thx for posting!