Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Let's see if i can word this right

pulltabMiner

Say i tell the Deus to give me a high tone on a particular TID; 800 on a TDI of 91 at 12Kz for example. Then i run my coil over a rusted iron object that is id'd by my Deus at 91 but to my trained ear the high tone doesn't sound "sweet". What makes an 800 tone sound different than another 800 tone? Harmonics? Shouldn't they sound the same? Is it that one tone is 799.99 and the other is 800.01? And are those settings (200,500,800) measured in Kilo hertz?

Just curious.

I guess what you are describing is the ability for the best discriminator you have ( your brain ) being able to differentiate between that 'sweet' 800Khz tone vs the 'crappy' one. The pitch for both targets may be exactly the same, but your brain has the ability to allow your ears to hear the subtle differences and make that determination to dig or not dig.

Ever try to describe to a newbie what that 'round' sound is ? Only comes with practice and knowing your machine.

I can only imagine how many great finds out there were made due to the target being on the fringe of a dig/no dig signal, and the hunter dug it up because no matter what the detector was telling that person, the brain told the body to dig it up.

pulltabMiner said:
Say i tell the Deus to give me a high tone on a particular TID; 800 on a TDI of 91 at 12Kz for example. Then i run my coil over a rusted iron object that is id'd by my Deus at 91 but to my trained ear the high tone doesn't sound "sweet". What makes an 800 tone sound different than another 800 tone? Harmonics? Shouldn't they sound the same? Is it that one tone is 799.99 and the other is 800.01? And are those settings (200,500,800) measured in Kilo hertz?

Just curious.

If I understand you right you want to be able to tell the audio difference in a good hit and a bad hit in the same audio range? We ALL search for that answer.

Best way to answer that is experience. You have to go over many signals and dig them all. After the dig, compare mentally the audio differences in your head. You will quickly notice good targets "usually" sound more round and are tighter. More of a good solid hit with a pure tone.

I am not sure anyone can describe it fully, takes experience and time. It will come, The XP Deus is one of the best descriminators on the market today!

Hope that helps some!

The settings are measured in Hertz which are cycles per second.

I'm only guessing on how the round and sweet sound comes about ... but I think it's a function of moving the coil and the sound coming and going as the coil passes the target.

Our brains are amazing...

Something I read recently about sword fighting seems very appropriate to our hobby.

You must think of the sword while fighting not as the weapon...but your arm as the weapon ... and in a similar manner you must think not of your arm as the weapon but your brain as the weapon!

I am new to the Deus but can tell you that the iron will either have some broken sounds to it, the sound will be cut very short, it may spit one direction etc...
If you have iron volume up a notch or two the low grunt will be heard usually also.
Don't get me wrong I still get fooled sometimes (old iron rings washers) but I don't mind digging iron especially when targets are hard to come by.
It has not taken to long for my ear(brain) to learn these sounds and I have been hunting with FBS detectors since the first Explorer.
It is usually very easy to tell if it is no dig or dig.

The way I see it, the frequency for the tone of both the good target at 91 and the iron at 91 is the same, but the good target, being "cleaner" gives off a constant, clear tone while the iron at 91 not being as clean has very subtle breaks or changes in strength (same tone but not as loud) that your brain can discern.

HH
Robert