Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

lifting the MX7's back end off the ground

dfmike

I like my MX7 but always wondered why it was made with the back end in contact with the ground. Since the battery compartment is flat and it has no stand in the back end like the Fisher models I use, the rear part of the detector will undoubtedly rest in moisture most of the time exposing the headphone jack and plug to water. Since I mostly hunt in damp tall grass, moist sand, mud and even snow, I wanted to do something about it. I found a simple solution that looks much worse in the pictures than it does in reality. In fact, nobody has noticed I have modified the back end yet and I've hunted with the MX7 with contraption attached since I have had it. It weighs nothing, hasn't tipped once and has never come off on its own. It keeps the back part clean as well.

For those who might be interested in doing the same, I just took a 4.5 (w) X 1.5 (h) X 3 (l) inch piece of solid white styrofoam and taped it with black textile hockey tape just so that it would not break up and to make it look as inconspicuous as I could. Then I just put a few strips of industrial strength velcro tape from end to end along the width of the block and 2 strips that I cut to size on the underside of the battery compartment as shown. I pressed firmly on the block and voila ! The "lifting pad" only protrudes by about 1/2 inch on either side of the holder and lifts the detector's rear end by about 2.5 inches. That's about all I need. I'm sure some could come up with more aesthetic solutions but I wanted something I could put on and remove quickly that just worked.

This should also work on the MX5 since the back end appears to be identical.

Always wondered how those types handled the weather. Sharp , neat idea that does the job.

DIY I like it... Simple, smart, and light weight.:whites: