Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

light weight machine thats not a toy

I am currently swinging a Whites MXT Pro. with 950 coil. I love the machine, but its killing my shoulder. I need advise on new machine that is not a toy but light weight. I don't need a screen with VDI, 99% I am a coin shooter in mild soil. I do play in the salt sand few times a year,

Koz

What you need is a Tesoro Vaquero. Get the 8" round doughnut coil for it. The 8 x 9 coil that comes standard on it is heavier, an makes the machine a little nose heavy. The 8" round coil is very light and balances great on the Vaquero. I can hunt all day without my back or arm giving out. I also have a MXT Pro, Makro Racer and MX5. The Vaquero is the one that I grab when I go detecting because of the weight, and it just flat out finds stuff.

Just buy a harness. I now use one on all my detectors. I swap it from detector to detector. I use the Detector Pro harness, just $25 at Kellyco. It saves your body and it makes for a more level swing.

ROBOCOP

Rather than changing machine, why not try adjusting your swing..
Watched a near 80 year old guy working a soccer field for 3 hours. His shoulder never moved.. his coil stayed in front of him and moved back and forth over lapping just touching the grass.. Started doing this myself and have no more shoulder or upper arm pain. Your not wacking weeds you shoulder does not need to move.. Yes, it is true you do not cover as much ground, but what you do cover is covered correctly without missing anything.. Just a suggestion.

There are several things you can do without giving up one of the best detectors ever made or buying a new one.

The 9.50 does not mount directly in the center of the coil there for making it feel heavier to swing. It will tire you. The new 9" spider is an excellent improvement over the 9.50.
But these suggestions may be better. This is the way I corrected the problem with mine.

1) buy an eclipse 5.3 . it's a better coil then what you have on and lighter. I feel it is the best coil made for the MXT.
You will lose very little in ground coverage or depth over the 9.50 and it is deadly in trashy areas.

2) buy a detech 6" or 8x6 sef. both work excellent on the MXT are very light.

3). You can get rid of the curved shaft and install a straight section.

4) If only using for coin and Jewelry, an M6 weighs about 1/2 pound less then the MXT.

I have done all these and have not only lightened the detector, but improved performance 1000%

I am 83 years old. Been swinging a detector for 40 years. Many years with an XLT. Now a DFX. Never used a 9 1/2 coil. Still using a 5.3 coil, Sure makes the detector lighter and hardly lose any deph. Great coil.....Jack

You should look very hard at the Bounty Hunter land Ranger pro.
Super light but very user friendly and tuneable to a site.
Really look.

airscapes said:
Rather than changing machine, why not try adjusting your swing..
Watched a near 80 year old guy working a soccer field for 3 hours. His shoulder never moved.. his coil stayed in front of him and moved back and forth over lapping just touching the grass.. Started doing this myself and have no more shoulder or upper arm pain. Your not wacking weeds you shoulder does not need to move.. Yes, it is true you do not cover as much ground, but what you do cover is covered correctly without missing anything.. Just a suggestion.
This really works. I basically hold the detector suspended from my arm and LET the gentle, a!most imperceptible sway of my body sweep the detector in a path whose length only causes my elbow and wrist to slightly flex. It also helps avoid missed overlaps. Also, whenever I get a signal, I relax the grip on my detector and let it rest while I retrieve.