Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Like they say no area is EVER hunted out

ramer

There is this huge very wooded and very hilly 600 acre park near where I live. It is full of miles of hiking trails. Well, I like many other detectorists who just simply like hunting in the woods have gone there for years with not impressive results. Occasionally a nice find is to be had. Well, that all changed when I got my hands on an old very detailed hand drawn map of this park dating back to the early parts of the 1900's where it detailed where people liked to set up camps and the more popular hiking trails of that period. So I began hitting the trails detailed on this old map. At first, nothing panned out. One trail after another with dismal finds. Then it happened. I found the "magic" trail and it was fruitful to say the least. I found more on 600 feet of that trail than I found in the entire 600 acre park over a period of several years.
3 silver dimes, 1918, and 2 1948. A beautiful 1942 half dollar in almost mint condition. 2 Buffalo nickels. 4 war nickels, all 1943. 2 Indian pennies, 1862 and 1898. 23 Wheaties, from 1918 on up. A really great find was a giant silver spoon , sterling, 92 percent silver almost twice the size of an ordinary table spoon. And finally, two whistles. One says "The Acme Company", made in England. I looked up that company and they made virtually all the Boy Scout whistles for most of the 20th century. And both whistles still worked after cleaning the dirt out of them.
I didn't find all this stuff in one outing. It was over a period of several weeks hitting that trail a few days a week.
Oh, and I found over 6 dollars in clad as well and numerous odds and ends, like a bunch of keys, a 7 inch hunting knife, a very old tube of lip stick, and a not so old tube of KY jelly. I pulled it out of the ground and like an idiot, I squeezed it and I got thoroughly lubed all over my hands as the seam broke on the rusting tube.
All this stuff was found a mere 600 foot section of this trail and beyond that the finds went to almost zero.
It baffles me how this trail was obviously over looked, but I think the story here is to never give up and don't get frustrated. There is juice in the ground waiting to be found by YOU on your very next outing. Good luck.
Oh, and finding old personalized maps helps as well.

Congratulations! Nice finds.

You did well to put your coil on ground others had missed, but the idea that a site is never hunted out is simply a logical fallacy. It implies one of two possibilities:

a) That there are an infinite number of worthwhile targets at the site - anybody with half a functioning cerebral cortex knows this can't be true.

b) That there are worthwhile targets at the site that will never be found. If that's the case turn off your machine and go home, you won't find them either. That's what "never" means.

People need to let go of their magical thinking and get real. A site won't continue to produce targets just because, in your stubbornness you refuse to give up on them.

-pete

Yes, there are not an infinite number of objects to be found, but there are an infinite number of ways to miss them.

Beautiful patina on the 1891 IH. Too bad the 1863 lost all of it's patina. Nice spoon. Does it have a date or hallmarks on it? Good job. Hunting in the woods is not for everyone.

There is a maker's mark on the back of the spoon. Haven't done any research on it yet. Last year, I found a sterling fork and the maker's mark led me to Durnham England where it was made in 1924. Yes, I enjoy hunting in the woods more than open parks now. I haven't hunted an open park at all this year yet. I like the peace and solitude of the woods. But I'm always glad to answer people's questions as I occasionally meet them on the hiking trails. Some are very curious and some just nod their heads and keep on going.
I'm not a young man anymore and sometimes I am asking myself: should I try and go down that deep ravine or up that steep hill. When I'm at the bottom of a deep ravine and done hunting that area I look up and think hmmmmm, now how am I going to get back up there. But I manage. Buying a good pair of hiking boots with deep treads certainly helps a lot when your playing mountain goat..
Finding clad at parks doesn't interest me at all anymore. Relics and old coins is what I look for now.

Just a side note. A fellow detectorist whom I hunt with a lot hasn't been able to hunt with me too much this year. His wife had an operation and he stays closer to home. He calls me when he finds stuff and I call him when I find stuff. I could tell he was getting very frustrated knowing I had invited him to come hunt this trail with me and I was finding all this good stuff. But he just couldn't make it.
Well, that all changed day before yesterday. Closer to his home, he hunts an old homestead built in the early 1800's and was only finding the usual junk from the home being roofed and sided and rooms added on. Then he hit it:
He called me up and in an instant, all my finds were eclipsed by his one and only very unique find: A post colonial Connecticut issued 1785 copper with bust facing right. After weeks of finding junk, his persistence paid off. Good for him.........uh, I guess.:shocked:

I agree with the fact that a place it never hunted out. Most of the time, you can still pull something good out of places that have been hit many many times. Soil conditions, clearing of dirt, imperfect swinging of detectors, the improvement of detectors over the years....all of this makes the occasional find in hard hit areas possible. Seems that there is always something out there left to find in these "hunted out" spots. So I get your drift.

Very nice bunch of finds. I've detected areas that were detected heavily and thought to be hunted out and found multiple silvers and gold. I've been back to this smaller school yard numerous times and I'm starting to believe it's about done. I do believe smaller sites can get hunted out, but a place of 600 acres, no way. Keep on digging.

Boy I love stories like this. Prolonged, fruitless searches. A found, hand-drawn map that leads to buried treasure, but only after dogged persistence. This brings to light the twelve-year-old, smitten by mystery mentality that some of us oldsters never relinquished. My family and friends give my wife and me a very (good natured) hard time about the "dorkiness" of our hobby, but they are fascinated by the stuff we drag home. When we visited my sister and her husband in Ireland this summer on their property that has been in his family for generations, they followed us all around, anxious to see what we uncovered - many good finds. We studied each object over evening cocktails and conjectured about to whom it belonged and what was going on when each was lost. I'm fascinated by the idea of time travel and this hobby is about as close as one can get to it. I love the idea of hunting in forested areas as I much prefer shade to sun. Thanks Ramer, great post!