Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Listening to the sounds

MikeLab

I am slowly progressing. I went to an older park and tried to concentrate more on the sounds instead of the target ID numbers. I watch for a quick, soft sound that has a tight pinpoint. Eventually I hope to completely work without the ID, but I still have been avoiding the aluminum zone. Anyway, I found some deep stuff including a Rosie dime, a 1930 Buffalo nickel, a religious metal and not all that much aluminum trash.

The dime was 1964 silver. I don't want to say I'm getting the hang of it, but I really did feel like I had something going today listening for those quick sounds that are not so loud. I switched back and forth from All Metal to Disc 1. When I get my courage up I'll try to hit the aluminum zone (55-65) and maybe find some gold. I know it's there and i know the ATG can find it. I'm the biggest obstacle right now. LOL.

I hear 'ya, I've just taken the ATG out to the park for an hour and a few hours at some old mine tailings. Pulled a kids ring, a deep wheatie, and some clad at the park and spent a lot of time digging tiny iron out of the fine tailings pile (and a few mining relics and some pocket change from the area. It's OK, I was just trying to get the hang of the ATG - it's a different animal than the AT Pro, but I can tell we're going to be good friends!. That pup is sensitive, and I think I'll end up digging fewer bottlecaps, which will really endear it to me.

It took me a while to learn to judge target size. The pinpoint mode is one good way.

One way to learn bottlecaps is to test everything with the iron audio then dig everything. It shouldn't take you long to figure out if a target is "iffy" or not. I dig the iffy targets and miss a few but not very many. Didn't dig one cap or nail yesterday. Surface bottlecaps can sound good if you only make a a one inch wide sweep. But with a wide sweep they will grunt about one foot each side of the target.

Oh, bottlecaps are not an issue with the AT Gold at all. She's batting 1000 for me - amazingly wonderful iron discrimination and audio. Makes me wonder if my AT Pro was having issues - I would still get fooled regularly with it. If you live in an area like me where everywhere you detect is PAVED in bottlecaps and rotten iron bits, give the AT Gold a try, the difference is night and day! (I haven't tried the 5x8 coil on the AT Pro yet, so not certain if it's the smaller coil or the machine or both...).

Sounds like you're getting the hang of the machine. Great job on the silver and the Buffalo. I myself dont discriminate out anything. I hate the way the machine sounds when targets being discriminated out that are very very close to targets that are not being discriminated. Then again, I only have the stock coil. Really thinking about getting the 5x8 coil though. I also find that I now mainly rely on sound alone. If it sounds good, I dig it. I only use the #'s to get an idea if the signal sounds scratchy or if I think there may be multiple targets in ground.

What is amazing to me is how the machine sounds like in the water. Everything is amplified and smoothed out. Bottle caps have a solid hi low in both directions. most of the pull tabs have some sracth to the sound. and coins just seem to....... i dont know but there is no mistaking them. shot gun shell bottoms have a iffy sound to them in the water, where as they dont on land.

One can id steel bottlecaps by using a tecnique called edge pass disc. If one gets a suspecious signal pp it then swing over it while backing the coil up when it gets to the edge of the in ground field the object will sound off as iron(if it is). This works with many machines.