Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

$$$$$Listing of Tesoro Diablo uMax $$$$$

Minas man

Saw a listing for a Tesoro Diablo uMax and the buy now price was $998 and the auction start price is $599.
Its hard to believe one of these would sell for that kind of money.

Minas man

Asking price is one thing - actual selling price, another.
BB

Don't know where you saw it, but I have owned two, A Gold Bug Pro is way better. Dave Johnson learned a lot in the 10 - 15 years between the two detectors. He designed both of them.

The Diablo µMAX is one of the best nugget shooting detectors I have ever used. Not just back when it was introduced, but even today .. for those who have one. I had two of them I got on trades back about 10-12 years ago and regret now that I sold them. The Diablo µMAX IS my favorite nugget shooter, it IS a light and handy detector, and it IS a model with a couple of features not found on other nugget hunting detectors. Also, it IS a difficult-to-find detector that is really only appreciated by serious detectorists.

The Diablo µMAX referred to on the big bid site looks good, but it IS an earlier release model that hasthe metal rod-locks, and seems to have a more yellowed [size=small](discolored)[/size] search coil from time and exposure.

The Diablo µMAX IS NOT, however, a model that would usually bring the high dollar amount the seller is asking for, at least not to any fairly knowledgeable and avid detectorist. I'd like to have another one for my personal arsenal that is in pristine condition, but NOT for those asking and bid-starting prices. I missed one on a different Classifieds site about a year ago that was at $300, but went for $275 ... including shipping. They will come up from time-to-time, the few that are out there.

Sadly, Tesoro only made it from 4/'96 to 3/'99, and I know a lot of dealers didn't promote them or order them because they were not in gold nugget hunting regions. Also, Tesoro's marketing department didn't go out of its way to make a terrific detector come across as well as they should have. Even more sad is the fact that Tesoro, known for making detectors w/o displays, hasn't jumped back in to re-introduce the Diablo µMAX because most gold nugget hunting detectors don't have, or need, displays. I know if I owned Tesoro, it would be in the works right now for early release in 2015.

A truly excellent performer afield :thumbup:, .... but, not what I would gather up such steep funds to purchase at that price. :thumbdown:

Monte

Don't make any sense that they would not re-introduce the model.
Could be a real money maker for them..............with the current interest in gold detectors and prospecting........
What a lightweight packable machine that would be.
Almost like Tesoro is inside a black box with no clue as to what's going on around them. They could be making Diablo's at twice the sale price
of a Compadre at probably the same cost as the Compadre and make a lot more profit.

If they put a disc mode or an iron audio on one of these and re-introduced it, I would love to have one. I would like one as is, but they are too rare.

With all due respect - get over it folks. The Gold Bug Pro is a vastly more capable nugget hunter. I had two μmax Diablos. Nice, bit that boat has sailed. Dave J. Learned a lot between when he did the Diablo for Jack Guildford at Tesoro and when he did the GBP at First Texas. It is of course Dave's favorite, but Dave doesn't hunt for gold.

lytle78 said:
With all due respect - get over it folks. The Gold Bug Pro is a vastly more capable nugget hunter. I had two μmax Diablos. Nice, bit that boat has sailed. Dave J. Learned a lot between when he did the Diablo for Jack Guildford at Tesoro and when he did the GBP at First Texas. It is of course Dave's favorite, but Dave doesn't hunt for gold.

That maybe true indeed.
But, the folks on this forum want a simple beep and dig Tesoro gold machine, may not care to own a First Texas digital machine.
Since Tesoro like to rehash old machines with new names. It seems fitting to bring back the Diablo as the D-Cazador. OOPs, shouldn't have said that./
Guys here just like Tesoros, they seem to be a collectible as well, for some reason......
100 umax machines fit into a closet nicely...LOL

If there was time to re-release a product I would have thought that Tesoro would have done it when gold was shooting up over the past number of years to $1700 ounce.
The asking price of this Diablo might have been gotten had it been listed when gold was high but gold is still trending down.
If this Diablo does sell at this price point I think that more Diablo's will come out of the closets and be offered for sale.
Lots of great points posted. Maybe I should have posted the thread on Prospectors Forum to hear from those who use this detector.
What 9 volt current Tesoro detector is most like the Diablo Umax?

Minas man

When they introduced these little devils back in '96 and in my opinion, I don't think there was a mad rush to get one. They were on the market (don't quote me on this) for 3 to 4 years plus.

You have to remember that gold in '96 was at $388/oz. and as high as $416/oz. Then 4 years later the price went down to $279/oz. and as high as $326/oz.

Now, was it profitable for Tesoro to keep manuf. cuz of gold prices or was it the consumer just satisfied in not spending that kinda money for a gold detector and was happy in just panning?

My 2cents on it... Thoughts?

TC-NM

lytle78 said:
With all due respect - get over it folks. The Gold Bug Pro is a vastly more capable nugget hunter.
The Gold Bug Pro is a little more flexible since it has a Discriminate mode, and also provides some visual display info, but I have worked the G2 and a Diablo µMAX together in some nugget country in NE Oregon and I felt the Tesoro Diablo µMAX was the better detector.

lytle78 said:
I had two μmax Diablos. Nice, bit that boat has sailed.
I have had several and wish I still had one. It's on my radar list [size=small](at a reasonable price)[/size] to fill the spot for a "gold nugget hunting only" detector that is 'simple' with All Metal operation ... only. If I want to use a nugget hunting unit with a Discriminate mode, I would grab my White's MXT All-Pro which easily out-performs the G2 [size=small](the ones I had)[/size] or Gold Bug Pro [size=small](the ones I borrowed and are the same as the G2)[/size] for gold nugget hunting.

lytle78 said:
Dave J. Learned a lot between when he did the Diablo for Jack Guildford at Tesoro and when he did the GBP at First Texas. It is of course Dave's favorite, but Dave doesn't hunt for gold.
Dave J., like all of us, learns along the way, but sometimes in detector development, things get in the way. The Gold Bug Pro/G2 were a struggle from all that we have read with the little 'version' changes to get it to final production and then they stepped away from it with other things and stated they were done with it, as it was. I am sure it was a bit of a headache due to incorporating the Discriminate circuitry.

Jack Gifford wanted certain things, but Dave J.'s final product, the Diablo µMAX, was a model that even David Johnson stated he felt was one of the best nugget shooting detectors he's ever made, and I am in agreement with that. It had a couple of design features not found on other nugget hunting models, to include the newer G2/GBP. As with some other detectors that have been out from Tesoro or other manufacturers, the marketing of the model and the ads they have done were not always the best to promote the best features and performance of the detector. That was very true with the Diablo µMAX.

I know we can all have our own biases, so for me, I admit I am biased toward Dave's best, and simple, Diablo µMAX nugget shooter.

Monte

Could it be also partly due to the fact that maybe White's and Fisher back in the day had already pretty much established a dedicated following with their gold prospecting units before Tesoro got serious and jumped in with one? I also heard through the years when the Lobo ST was introduced it more or less took sales away from the Diablo because it had the discriminate mode for coin/relic hunting making it a bit more versatile? I have a Diablo Micromax and a Lobo ST and enjoy both but if I had to let one go it wouldn't be the Diablo!

I find the GBP's continuous ground phase readout and the discrimination "reading" in all metal to be valuable tools in dealing with ferrous junk as well as hot rocks, not to mention always being able to dee if the ground has,changed. On the μmax, you are totally in the dark about all that, plus the darmed switch for going from ome GB comtrol to the other kept ending up in the wrong position and there was no warning that youmhad failed to,switch itmback.

No thanks. If I ever run across another Diablo μmax at a good price, I will grab it, but only to,sell to one of you die hard fans at a fat profit! LOL.

The great analog vs digital debate should come into play here...some like more audio information under low light conditions or bright light conditions, where the lcd screen is a pain in the ass to read...real world nugget shooting. This is why most old timers like the GM3 over the GMT and the ergonomics as well...it and the little Diablo truly are as light and handy as a Winchester model 92 in the field.
I would choose the little Diablo over the GBpro any day of the week under power lines, the new high gain machines go squirrelly in this environment.
When you add in bad ground and I mean in the 90's on the Whites MXT VDI, the Tesoro Diablo uMax is the clear winner here too over the new high gain units.
Go back and read how the little low gain Compadre smokes most detectors on fine gold chain, it really is an understated jewelry magnet.
I find with the little Diablo you can just leave it in hot rock mode, if you wish, with no concernable small gold losses in bad ground...there is no detector made that can see 1/10 grain gold in such highly mineralized ground anyway, not even the mighty the mighty GBPro, which I own as well.
And then there is Tesoros lifetime warranty...undeniably, Tesoro makes great, made in the good ol' US of A machines, take that and your gold you find, to the bank.
Out of all of my nugget machines and I have currently tested over 200 detectors in my arsenal, the faithful Little Diablo is always in the truck with me nugget hunting, like a valuable hunting dog.
It even has a pet name...you guessed it , Ol' Yeller...
Now go out there and find some yeller stuff, put it up by your shaving mirror and in the morning, wink at it while you are shaving, it's good for your soul.

Another point to consider is that if you read some of Dave Johnsons posts on the Diablo UMax, he states that" Tesoro owns the design"...this means although Dave indeed has learned a lot since then, he and no other manufacturer can legally use the Diablo Umax platform and its hot rock mode other than Tesoro without patent violations.
The VLF technology hasn't really been improved on since the early 80's other than the computerized discrimination which I never use nugget huntin for anyways. The ferric oxide indicator is useful but there is magnesium in mafic and ultra mafic soils to deal with as well. Mafic is Latin for magnesium and ferric (iron). I suppose this would not apply to most folks that don't live in the Pacific Northwest like Monte and I do, but the Diablo UMax really is something special. In Australia the Diablo works very well there too.
As stated by others, it is a shame Tesoro doesn't bring it back into production as I only have 2 spares. I truly hope the Big auction site does flush out more closet queen Diablo UMax detectors.

My partner owns a claim in what in I call hot rock hell, both hot and cold rocks. We took a Minelab GPX4500 there and it was lamed by the mineralization as there are too may hot rocks to deal with and we're not ignored. We tried the Infinium, the Whites TDI and all the other current VLF nugget machines with poor results. The little Diablo umax however in hot rock mode, you just bobbed the coil up and down and you have a perfect I.D. on the hot rock. In fact this is a great tool for ore testing as well. Simplicity is efficiency. One 9 volt battery to boot! I truly hope that the big E auction site does flush out more closet queen Diablo UMax detectors and they are put to use.
Minelab designed the GPX series for the U.S. market were the majority of the gold is smaller than Australia, so a finer resolution machine was needed over the SD series. This however hurt the GPX in nasty ground for bigger nuggets down deep, the ol' timers down under are keeping their old SD2200d with bigger coils for just this real world reason and not falling for the marketing hype like lemmings.

HH,
PennyFinder.

this is proablly not the place to ask but I have bot the gb pro and the diablo.umax.
The diablo has found me a few nice pieces ofr gold in the time looking for nuggets. I have found the godbug pro to be much more frustrating when using it there. Now maybe my GB needs work I dont know but it doesdo well in parks and has found it's share of targets.
I find the diablo a lot easier to use and concentrate on with a smoother tone over all. While the display is another source of info I'm not sure I really understand what it is saying most of the time..when hunting in the desert.