Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Lobo Supertraq ground balance question

I know in all metal it auto tracks and have read on several threads that it is "preset" in discriminate. In the manual it states that you should ground balance in all metal before switching to discriminate mode. My question is: Is it factory preset or does it just lock the current GB settings in discriminate? I plan on using it for nugget hunting but also will be using it in local parks as well. Thanks for any help.

The ground balance in all metal just gets the ground track setup to track the ground in your area. When you switch to disc you will be running factory preset GB.

Now that was my understanding of the super track when I had one.

Ron in WV

Thanks. I just wonder why it recommends to ground balance before flipping into discriminate mode in the manual.

Interesting point. I just did thorough review of the factory instruction guide and it specifically states " always ground balance in the All-Metal mode before switching to the Discriminate mode". This strongly implies that the ground balance is set at that moment in time in the All-metal mode and carried over directly into the Discriminate mode. Moving out of the discriminate mode 'ala' to pin-point would release this temporary ground balance setting and therefore would need to be re-established in All-metal before returning to the Discriminate mode. Unique in the LST micro-processor.
I had to research this because I mainly prospect with the LST and seldom use the Discriminate mode. Good to know in a park like setting where the ground mineralization is fairly consistent and you can adjust to it.

Ive never used a supertrak but why is the ground balance temporary in all metal?
Sounds like tesoro is just suggesting to have the all metal balanced so if/when you toggle between the two modes your ready in both?

Neil said:
Ive never used a supertrak but why is the ground balance temporary in all metal?
Sounds like tesoro is just suggesting to have the all metal balanced so if/when you toggle between the two modes your ready in both?
This doesn't make sense to me. If it flips to factory preset you would have to ground balance again when switching back anyhow. The language they use makes it sound necessary to balance in all metal in order to get the most out of the discriminate mode.

I was comparing it in my head to my X5. When I GB in all metal, that setting stays there in all metal until I change
it.
Thats how it works on a Tejon too.
Maybe the lobo supertrac is always tracking/adjusting in the all metal mode and you dont do it manually?

The Lobo SuperTRAQ has the tracking GB only in the All Metal mode.

The Discriminate mode is internally preset.

The reason you GB in All Metal first is so that the All Metal/Pinpoint function will be at or close to the ground conditions you are searching. Then, presuming you are hunting in the silent-search Discriminate mode, and considering the ground will likely stay the same or vary only slightly, if you go into Pinpoint function, or just change to search in All Metal mode, you'll be at a functional GB setting to Pinpoint a target. Also, if you decide to switch over and hunt in All Metal, you'll be at or near the proper GB setting to get underway and the LST will continue tracking and making minor GB adjustments as required.

I used to use the Lobo SuperTRAQ often in my arsenal back in '99/'00 and it generally functioned OK and only took a few pumps of the coil to get the All Metal/Pinpoint GB ready-to-go then switch to Disc. to hunt.

Monte

Thats what I thought Monte, thank you for the clarification.

Monte said:
The Lobo SuperTRAQ has the tracking GB only in the All Metal mode.

The Discriminate mode is internally preset.

The reason you GB in All Metal first is so that the All Metal/Pinpoint function will be at or close to the ground conditions you are searching. Then, presuming you are hunting in the silent-search Discriminate mode, and considering the ground will likely stay the same or vary only slightly, if you go into Pinpoint function, or just change to search in All Metal mode, you'll be at a functional GB setting to Pinpoint a target. Also, if you decide to switch over and hunt in All Metal, you'll be at or near the proper GB setting to get underway and the LST will continue tracking and making minor GB adjustments as required.

I used to use the Lobo SuperTRAQ often in my arsenal back in '99/'00 and it generally functioned OK and only took a few pumps of the coil to get the All Metal/Pinpoint GB ready-to-go then switch to Disc. to hunt.

Monte
Thanks for the response. Based on your phone number it looks like we are pretty close in proximity. I'm in Springfield. Did you use this detector in Willamette Valley soils when you had it? If you did, did you run it in disc at all and how did it do with the soil?

bschifferdecker said:
Thanks for the response. Based on your phone number it looks like we are pretty close in proximity. I'm in Springfield. Did you use this detector in Willamette Valley soils when you had it? If you did, did you run it in disc at all and how did it do with the soil?
I do have an Oregon Area Code, (503), however I now live in Vale, Oregon over here by Ontario and Idaho.

I used to live [size=small](unfortunately because I hate excess rain)[/size] over in the northern Willamette Valley in the greater Portland area. When I owned and used the Lobo SuperTRAQ, along with several other makes and models, I lived west of Portland in Beaverton, then we moved to Hood River for a year-and-a-half. However the LST, XLT, XL Pro, Bandido II µMAX and a couple of other units traveled wherever I went, so it was put to use on the Oregon coast, in the southern valley area to Albany and Sweet Home, over in Central Oregon, Eastern Oregon, and ghost towns and encampments I also hunted in Utah and Nevada.

I used the LST in the Discriminate mode at least 90% of the time, and only had difficulty in three really 'bad ground' areas. I also used it on a trip we took to Arizona so I stopped at the Tesoro factory and had them tweak the internal Disc. mode GB to be slightly more positive. The service tech brought it to me when I went to pick it up and he told me there were actually two trimmer adjustments involved to set a proper GB in the Disc. mode. I found that interesting because there was a fellow at the time who used one in SE USA who added an external GB pot to his LST to be able to fine-tune the Disc. mode GB.

The LST was sort of a like-and-hate model for me as I had the 'original' Lobo prior and I liked the fact it had the ED-180 Disc. and manual GB with the Disc. mode GB tied in with the external All Metal mode GB pot, similar to the Bandido's and other favorite Tesoro's of mine. After I let the LST go, and I didn't miss it, I almost snagged an original Lobo again, but I didn't really have a 'need' for it, and preferred the lighter-weight Tesoro models. Much easier on me and my bad back.

Monte