Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Long Beach

vernt

There's this long stretch of beach that would take days to hunt down and back. Some people can sometimes be seeing walking the shore; few at best in the water. I've never seen anyone ever hunting it. Because few people visit it though, I think not much in quantity may be lost. Also because of this, no observed hunting has been done. Do you think its worth the gamble and inordinate amount of time required? Has any of you hunted a situation like this? How did you do?

I have regularly hunt Long Beach and both North and South of L.B. There are quite a few fellow detectorist's that regularly detect there. It seems really popular with teenager's for the most part and we know that equates to cheap rings and jewellery unfortunately. I think with it being so popular with the youth along with the radios, beer and occasional fights, it scares off the older generation and perhaps families.
The volleyball courts are hit hard as is the beach/towel line's but there is always stuff to find and if your in the right spot at the right time!! you can get something worthwhile. I prefer to spend my time at the beaches that the older generation and families frequent and better quality finds. H.H. and GH!!

When I was in the L.A. area in the mid 90s ( Late teens for me ), I never went to LB beaches. My choices were Redondo , Newport , Laguna and my favorite Hunington. I know it isn't the answer you were looking for but those are some popular spots my friend and the ones I used for bikinis, fun and scuba diving.

Lakota

Hello Vern, I am from this area as well. I go to Long Beach about once a week because it is so close. I hunt the towel line and the water at low tide, but not much to find out here. I have a hand full of Tungston Steel rings and a bunch of crap jewelry. Goldstrike is correct though, if your're there at the right time, in the right place, you just might get lucky and hit that gold. I saw a detector out there pick up a gold diamond ring, but for the most part the people that go to this beach are in the lower class, so not much jewelry to begin with. What ever you do do not go to Cabrillo Beach. That is a total waste of time. I wish I could get into Portugese Bends Beach. I bet that would be a gold mine. Private beach in PV.

In November 3 years ago, I was in the Long Beach area waiting for the birth of my granddaughter, and I spent about 2 hours,twice a week, for 3 weeks at Huntington Beach which is close to Long Beach, metal detecting. I only detected there because it was close to where I was staying, and the parking was free. I used a Minelab 2100v2 pulse unit with a waterproof Platypus elliptical coil on it. I hunted in the wet sand within 6 to 10 feet of the waters edge only, because of a huge amount of trash in the dry sand.
My first find was a silver ring that was nothing special, but I had found it in the presence of a local detectorist, and she remarked that while she had detected this beach for about 20 years and it had been pretty productive, this silver ring was the first ring she had seen dug in about a year.
Well I can tell you I was in the vicinity of lifeguard tower number 27, and I searched from 27 to 26, or maybe 27 to 28 only.
I found a total of 12 rings on that beach. A few were junk, a few were silver, I found my first Platinum engagement ring, 2 gold mens bands, and a white gold engagement ring.. I live in Florida and have not found 12 rings ever in one year before.
I believe I would not have detected these rings with a VLF detector. The rings I recovered averaged about 8 to12 inches deep in wet sand.

Long Beach has never produced a ring or jewelry for me. Enough coins for parking is about it.
Cabrillo Beach did net me a 1952 half dollar on the windsurfing side, but lots of iron trash near the
cliffs. I used my Infinium, would probably not found the half dollar with a VLF.
Rich