Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Long time, no hunt

BillF

It's been quite a while since I've been out. Sometimes life just gets in the way.
I've had my eye on a 1908 property that is one of the last pieces left in the path of a new freeway coming. Last week the moving van was there but with snow and freezing weather I just couldn't get to it. Yesterday the snow was gone and it was sunny, the wind was blowing hard and it was a bit chilly but I gathered my gear and hot footed it over to the site. As soon as I set foot in the yard I could see I was too late. Someone was before me.
I decided to go over it anyway, there were so many nails and little pieces of aluminum siding everywhere. Discrimination was not going to cut it here. I put the 705 in AM and went very slow, listening for those high tones in the chaos.
Soon I popped out a '29s Merc, then a '24s wheat and a '30d wheat. Sure wonder what was there before i got to it.

I know exactly what you mean. I went less than 5 times last year. I’m glad you got out and found some good finds. I bet there is more there. But I trashy site can drive a person crazy.

Oh boy, Travis, you got that right. If I remember right you like AM with 99 tones. I dont dont know how you keep your sanity with all that.
There are so many detectorists in my town that the places to hunt are quickly drying up, that's why I chomp at the bit to get into the old properties that get bought up by the state for the freeway. I'm not very good at asking for permissions from private owners(although I have before).
I always enjoy hearing about your finds down south, keep it up buddy.

I use all metal but not not 99 tones. I mostly civil war relic hunt now so I use two tone and digging every high tone. I find myself doing the same when I do occasionally go coin hunting. And I seem to find more coins that I use to miss. If I get a slight high tone in the mix of iron tones I usually dig it.

Sorry about the 99 tones, sure thought it was you.
Are you looking for a repeatable tone from 2 directions? Or a good high tone with a good number in the mix? Anymore, for me, it's a feeling I get when I hear it, more than anything. I get so zoned in to detecting that I cant tell you what I was doing on the last good signal.
I've been using mostly the 10.5"DD coil but maybe i should go back to the 6" Digger.

It doesn’t have to be but a one direction tome for me. Civil war relic hunting and taught me a lot. Because I’m looking for anything that is not iron. And you would not believe how many good targets I dig that one have a slight high tone in one direction. And several coins I have found that way. Several Indians in with iron and a few buffalos and a v nickel also. One place i civil war hunt had a house that was there during the war and it was burned or tore down a few years later is where I have found most of the coins. I have several coils I use. I have found a lot of coins with the digger but I rally like the 6 inch 18.75 coil. You should make a trip down here to Kentucky sometime so we could do some detecting. I have detected with two people from the forum. The got to dig there first civil war relics with me. We had a blast.

My wife and I have a friend in McKee, Ky. Hopefully we can get that way soon. I would love to go on a with you.

That looks lot be about 2hours a 15 minutes from where I live. Let me know if your down this way.