Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

looking at used AT pro...

gunwolf

I figured I would post here... I'm close to picking up a secondary detector , not really a backup but one I can swing every now and then to change things up or in certain situations. I used a friends AT pro about 7 years ago on a just for fun day and really enjoyed it. I found a few AT Pro's local, around the $400-$450 range both were used dry, and owners claim they have never seen water. I'm a dirt fisher so water isn't my thing but it would be nice to have a detector I can be out with in a light rain.
So what am I looking for as far as wear, water damage? or "other" and is that price range fair ? thanks...

Being they have been made for many a year now it's probably hard to tell how old a machine is. I recently bought a used one locally for $460. It has the newer style rubber hand grip and looks mint. Have found 2 pieces of sterling with it already. If you can find one with the rubber grip it is probably within 2 years old.

Garrett has reduced the price on the AT Pro recently. Not much more than what your looking at. So there's that.

I figured I would post here... I'm close to picking up a secondary detector , not really a backup but one I can swing every now and then to change things up or in certain situations. I used a friends AT pro about 7 years ago on a just for fun day and really enjoyed it. I found a few AT Pro's local, around the $400-$450 range both were used dry, and owners claim they have never seen water. I'm a dirt fisher so water isn't my thing but it would be nice to have a detector I can be out with in a light rain.
So what am I looking for as far as wear, water damage? or "other" and is that price range fair ? thanks...
I would check the serial number as the Garrett AT Pro was first introduced in 2010. So it has been out for eleven years now. The serial number will tell you when a specific AT Pro was manufactured. If the serial number starts with a six (6), it is relatively new. If it starts with a five (5), it is an older unit. But the rest of the serial number will tell you the year and week (1-52) of production. A newer AT Pro will probably have less wear and tear and may (speculation) have updates not on the earlier units. Of course, some newer units may have a lot of "wear and tear" too depending on how active the user has been.

I would check the serial number as the Garrett AT Pro was first introduced in 2010. So it has been out for eleven years now. The serial number will tell you when a specific AT Pro was manufactured. If the serial number starts with a six (6), it is relatively new. If it starts with a five (5), it is an older unit. But the rest of the serial number will tell you the year and week (1-52) of production. A newer AT Pro will probably have less wear and tear and may (speculation) have updates not on the earlier units. Of course, some newer units may have a lot of "wear and tear" too depending on how active the user has been.
For instance, a Garrett AT Pro with a serial number like 61042541 would indicate that it was produced during the fourth week of 2021. The first numeral, after six, indicates the year of manufacture (2021) and the next two digits indicate the week of manufacture (4th week of 2021). The remaining digits are probably a production number sequence. If somebody has a better understanding of this serial number interpretation for the Garrett AT Pro, please reply with a correction or update. Thanks.

I confess that I don't have any experance with the newer generation of computer ehansed machines. But my made first year AT Pro never seems to let me down. Now I'm just using it in parks and dry sand. What I do notice is the biggest difference between the Pro and other machines I hunt is , how I'm hunting on that day. Like all of us I guess when things get tough I got to bow my neck, pump the brakes and aim to squeeze targets out. I will add that the Pro is my best machine for IDing nickels. Which (for me) helps in the quest for Gold Rings. Tho their getting scarce.

I have a At Pro but I like hunting jewelry with a First Texas 19khz machine the best. Much lighter than a At Pro and rock steady ID. Luvs nickels also.