Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Looking for a 15 incher

Beer Snob

I've been using the stock coil on my Minelab 705 for the past few months.
Summer is coming and I plan to spend more time on the beach.
I believe a 15" coil is in order but which one? What frequency?
Of course gold and silver would be the ideal targets but I am not opposed to coin shooting.
Any advice for my first upgrade?

My thanks in advance.

Given what all you want to do, I would recommend the 7.5kHz 15" All Terrain. Simply by virtue of it's size it will not be as sensitive to tiny targets, but it will be the most honest across the entire detection range from low conductors like gold to high conductors like silver.

A big coil limits your hunting to the open beach areas, which might be all you want or have to hunt. But in my area there are many rentals of beach chairs, cabanas, and wooden chase lounges that are positioned side by side in the hundreds up and down the beach. My experience for many years was with the X30 and the standard concentric 7.5 on the beach, pathways and towel line and it did do me well at finding gold and silver jewelry and clad. When I got my 705 gold with the HF DD Elliptical I was able to move it in, out, between, under and around all the rentals, which overwhelmingly increased my finds in both coin and jewelry. I used to take the standard coil with me to change out after working the beach, but after awhile found it was not needed. So far this year....$94.11 in clad, $58.65 this month alone. 3 gold rings and one 18k bracelet. I'm sure my totals would have been much better this month if our spring break was not so wet and cold,.... just like last year:surrender:

T HE 18.75 GOLD COIL IS GREAT!!Wish I had those kind of beaches here:nopity:i do have to fight rattlesnakes and cactus:rofl:

On the beach exclusively, or prospecting, an 18.75kHz coil is what you want. That said, for all but beach and diehard relic hunting, the 15" HF would be the last coil I'd pick.
It used to be that if you had high mineral levels and heavy trash you bought the 6" HF DD for it's ability to separate. It was hardly the coin killer that we wanted, but it was the best we had. Now we have the 6" LF DD, and look at what everyone's flocking to.
My point is, that if beach hunting is all that you want a 15" coil for, then go for it. But if you want to land hunt, especially coin shooting, a lower frequency would be better. 3kHz on the beach would not be good for small gold, though it's one of my favorites on land. Which is why I suggested the more versatile MF All Terrain.

Now that I've put all of that out there, I'll say that you'd do well to listen to bob.oz about what to use on the beach. His finds there speak for him.