Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Looking for a ring lost 50 years ago in abandoned vineyard

Fishrgal

Just about exactly 50 years ago when I was 12, I threw what I think was a silver ring (either Jade or Emerald) into the old abandoned vineyard across the gully from our house. Now I want it back! Unfortunately, all the wires are laying on the ground, the vineyard is overgrown, AND it is on a steep hill. I know about where it originally landed but what with time and erosion, it is probably way downhill from there. Any tips on what would be the best procedure of hunting this vineyard? I have the Ace 250 and 3 sizes of coils (my newest being the Sniper). What mode should I search in? And what coil would be the best to use? Should I go over the wire and notch that out? I am awaiting permission from the present owner. I haven't been there since I was 17 and the home has changed ownership three times.

Likely lots of other junky targets there.
I'd start with the coin or jewelry mode and check it that way.
If that doesn't work use all metal and dig everthing,
if you know the approximate location I'd use the Snipper coil.
Good luck hope you find it!

I would use the Sniper to help avoid and go between the wires. If you know which direction they run you can hunt parallel to them with the Sniper and it would be easier to negotiate the brush and overgrowth. I would hunt in jewelry or all metal and dig it all. Sounds like you have your work cut out for you. Many years ago I threw a fancy Adonis cigarette lighter innto the Kern River in California. I'd like to have it back but that part of the river is now a lake. :rofl: Good luck. Should be an interesting hunt.

Bill

Still awaiting permission, but if and when I can hunt there I will post any findings. Hope it is the ring. By the way, I think it was Jade, not Emerald. But emerald would be nice! There is also a cellar hole not far from there I played at when I was a kid. It was long before I was born that someone had lived there. Maybe I can find something there as well.

Good luck to you, hope you find it! Just stay safe and have fun.:detecting:

For one thing, being a kid, I was stupid. But after I bought it from an old lady at a yard sale (for $1), I fell off a ladder and broke my leg, the chain came off my bike as I was going down a steep hill and I went over a cliff and landed on the rocks below, AND I got kicked by a cow. (Each time I was wearing the ring). So of course I thought the ring was jinxed, possessed, whatever. So I threw it across the gully into the old vineyard to get rid of the "bad luck". Now maybe I will have some good luck and actually find it again. :detecting:

Fishrgal said:
For one thing, being a kid, I was stupid. But after I bought it from an old lady at a yard sale (for $1), I fell off a ladder and broke my leg, the chain came off my bike as I was going down a steep hill and I went over a cliff and landed on the rocks below, AND I got kicked by a cow. (Each time I was wearing the ring). So of course I thought the ring was jinxed, possessed, whatever. So I threw it across the gully into the old vineyard to get rid of the "bad luck". Now maybe I will have some good luck and actually find it again. :detecting:

PERHAPS you best just leave it there....or give it to someone you hate if it's filled with bad luck! lol. :) Hopefully you find it! I wanna see pictures when you do!!! :)

So, let me get this straight. You are blaming the ring because you were a little clumsy? ha,ha,ha,ha. lol

I pestered my Grandmother into letting me milk the cow when I was about 2 years old and grabbed her udder with ice cold hands and pulled real hard on her teats. She sent the milk bucket flying with a swift kick and I was long gone. End of milking career. Of course, my grandma knew that would happen and just did it to get rid of me, but I realize she had a lot to do and didn't have time to fool with a small kid.

My oldest brother took my bicycle without my permission and was coming down this hill from an I-75 overpass when they built I-75 back in the mid or late 1950's and the chain came off and he tumbled his long lanky self down the hill and it tore his clothes off and he looked like a skinned catfish. The doctor came out to the house where we lived and wrapped him up like a mummy and he tried to blame me for the chain coming off. Yes, that was back in the days when they made house calls. Anyway, my other grandma on my Mom's side put him in his place and told him the Lord let that happen to him for taking my bike after I told him he could not ride it.

Hope you find your ring, just to prove it's not bad luck, tho. Happy Hunting..!

I think fongu got it right when he said I blamed the ring because I was clumsy. (well, the chain coming off the bike and running me over a cliff wasn't being clumsy) but that was stupidity because I knew the chain was one link too long and Grandpa said NOT go down that long steep road. So all in all, I guess it wasn't the ring's fault, but I didn't realize it at the time. After 50 years I wonder if there is even anything left of it? Guess it depends on what it really is made of. That's why I have to find it, to find out once and for all what it really is.

The new owner will be back in the area soon so I will find out then if it is ok to hunt for it. And will definitely put up pictures if I do.:cam:

If I was trying to find that ring and it is silver I would disc out everthing from iron throught to pull tabs, (silver will still come through strong) use a large coil, run sensitivity as high as it will go while remaining stable and search the area thoroughly and dig all signals. if I did not locate the ring I would then lower the disc a couple of points and go again and repeat this disc lowering until I had eventually lowered the disc to zero and checked all targets. With a bit of luck you should find the ring before you have lowered the disc very far.