Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Looking for a scoop

TN Mike

Looking for a scoop for a beach trip I'm taking in the next week or two, Need a budget scoop and have been looking at some of the 100$ dollar scoops on amazon (no handle) and was wondering what your thoughts might be on these scoops.

https://www.amazon.com/Lightweight-Diving-Garrett-Detecting-Stainless/dp/B01690SSJE/ref=sr_1_13?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1504369193&sr=1-13&keywords=sand+scoop

Just need a decent scoop.. not a hardcore beach hunter so I dont feel I need a 300$ scoop but would like something that will hold up.

Gotta admit those welds look like crap lol.. Need a fast solution as I got a week to get a scoop.. The work begins..

There are a number of scoops that might suffice for light use. I purchased my Daughter in Law one off ebay that works well for her. There are a number of them that are in the 100 dollar price range. Of course you have to install a handle. I just noticed that the scoop I purchased for her has gone up over a hundred dollars in price since last fall.

Wet sand is Heavy and you can tear a lightweight scoop up in a hurry as the welds will not hold.

For dry sand a hand held scoop will do the job but the wet sand would work you hard.

Scoop Size, Depth and thickness of the material are also important. In the water I like a wide well made scoop as it is much harder to get the target in the scoop when the ocean is trying to knock you on your backside.

Good Luck what ever you decide.

White's is having a sale and this scoop might be worth it for you..

https://www.whiteselectronics.com/product/hexscoop/

The whites have all sold out, But thanks for the link.

After a good bit of thought I came to the conclusion that though I might go beach hunting maybe a couple times a year, I should buy something that is not going to crap out on me the one time I may go. I live 6 hours from the beach, it would suck to break my scoop a couple hours in. I dont really wanna spend 200$ or so on a scoop, so I've settled on a RTG scoop. I figure it will hold up for fresh water and some beach hunting better than those no name sub 100$ scoops and still keeps me below 150$

Any thoughts on the RTG's?

If youre not going for a Sunspot Stealth, Stavr, or TRex (ie, the hi$ scoops), the RTG is a good choice. Its what I intend to buy for my wife's use when she starts beach hunting.

Wise decision. RTG may only have a 90 day warranty but the chances are you will never have any trouble with it, I own two a aluminum and SS, The weight is about the same as a TREX with the mop handle on it which will surely break. I know people swear by them because they have a lifetime warranty which they should for a basket with no handle for 185.00, then another 100 for a carbon fiber Handle. I am sure If someone paid RTG 250.00 to 300.00 for theirs with a SS steel or aluminum handle depending on which one you get, they will be glad to put a lifetime warranty on it also

Disadvantage i found with an RTG....... unless you have a SS tip they tend to want to roll on you out there in any kind of hard pan. Also they are deep scoops........ so as they fill it tends to push light targets out and you waste a lot of time chasing them. Handles arent the longest ...... so in chest deep water or deeper it can be work or you can find yourself sucking water trying to recover a target. BUT.... they are reasonably priced and sturdy.

Unless you are using a pulse machine, the RTG PRO ALUMINUM 6" WATER SCOOP with SS Tip (#RTGBB6tip) would be my suggestion. The aluminum keeps it reasonably light, the SS tip really helps bite into the sand and it keeps the lip from splitting.

If you are dumping sand as opposed to sifting, a solid SS scoop releases the sand easier than an aluminum scoop but it is not a game changer.

The aluminum handle will blacken your hands due to oxidation, you can wrap the handle with 1.5 inch white athletic tape (or use gloves).

HH

Charles

I got my RTG (6" travel) in the mail yesterday morning and am looking forward to giving it a try. I guess the good thing is, is that there is some kind of demand for them so if I really like beach hunting I'll aim a little higher on the next scoop and try and sell the RTG.

Thanks for the help everyone.