Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

looking for a second detector

scotthowes

I'm looking to buy a detector for land and beach.Ihave a ex-call for under water and a old Wilson coin shooter.Would like a light but sturdy machine .Thinking about used unit like a WHITES:DFX,DUAL FEILD,MXT300,EAGLE SPECTRUM or MINE LAB:X-TERA,EXPLORER,SAFARI.Any others I should consider?

You might consider a Garrett AT-Pro, but make sure you get the 5x8 DD coil as well.

The MXT300 is an excellent machine but it wouldn't hurt if it was put on a diet and lost a little weight. Don't forget to look at Fisher's, they makes some really nice lite weight machines.

If you can get one, the X-Terra 705 offers more features for the $$$ against any other detector, it's not heavy either, I find my AT Pro a little heavy at times.

I use it more than I do the AT Pro, but I also use my E-Trac more than the X-Terra 705.

Most of the detectors you listed are far from "light". Sturdy yes, but pretty heavy.

If you are looking for light, sturdy, for land and beach (dry sand only), you may want to consider a Tesoro Vaquero or Outlaw.

Nothing wrong with the 705 either.

The Fishers and Teknetics machines are very light, have a very fast recovery speed,and can cover a ton of ground with a quick sweep speed. I've never had any durability problems of any kind. Batteries seem to last forever, and in my experience they go deep :)

the XP Deus is state of the art and very light and manageable .packs away in minutes without all the slotting together of the bits of piping and is ready for action in seconds

Since you already use an Excal in the water then consider a Sovereign for land. Same tones but better audio thanks to being able to use a good set of headphones on the Sovereign compared to the stock ones on the Excal. The Sovereign can be hip or chest mounted to make the shaft weigh virtually nothing. I don't care for chest mounting unless I'm water hunting with my GT, so I built a cheap/easy homemade shaft and with a few other simple replacement parts (whites arm cup, whites tall man carbon fiber lower rod, running 3 cell lipo in akaline holder) I dropped almost a pound and a half off the stock weight of the GT. Now it's as light as I'd ever want, and I've still got the stock shaft setup which I use for my water rig when chest mounting the GT. But on land I prefer the control box on the shaft, which is why I built my homemade light land rig.

The biggest bonus is you want have a learning curve since an Excal is essentially a waterproof Sovereign. And you can stick a 180 meter on your Sovereign and have a great very high resolution ID in the foil to copper penny range to split hairs more on things like nickles or rings versus tabs and such.

Or, another consideration is like they suggest- An AT Pro. Then you've got not only a second water machine should one or the other fail, but also it'll hit on finer gold better than the Excal will in the water. The Minelabs will bang even the thinnest of gold rings at super depths due to a ring being an intact loop, but in terms of fine gold like thin chains or tiny gold earings I hear the AT Pro is much better at that stuff, which can be a perk in the water on days where you are in the mood to look for more gold then just rings with your Excal. Then the added bonus is the AT Pro makes a great land machine with it's full function LCD screen and decent weight. Sooner or later one of them is going into my line up of machines. The price is just too good to not pick one up IMO.

Some good points re: the Sov... You sure don't need another water machine (dual field) if you already have an ex-cal. My personal choice, though would be a Fisher Gold Bug DP. This is a great dry sand machine for gold jewelry and does remarkably well as a general purpose coinshooter. Light, easy on batteries, and you have the added functionality of a good nugget machine if that trip to the gold fields ever comes around...

I got an AT Pro as the back up for my Etrac for those rainy days. I used it at the beach, Outer Banks, NC, this year and it was great! nice and quiet even when I took it in the surf. Passed the dunk test as I had it completely under many times all week.

Don't buy one or you will buy another than another and in up like me with 6

The XT-705 with the gold package coil ( 5x10" DD 18.75 KHZ.) makes for a good beach and land detector which will hit equally well on both gold jewelry and coins. Not only is the 705 under 3 lbs., but you will also get about 40 hrs, out of a set of 4 AA batteries. It is an excellent all-around machine when used with the proper coil for your conditions.

I have a ETRAC as my main and an AT PRO as my back up (for those rainy days)...

if a Minelab? why not an ETrac as your back up?

what about the AT PRO? both wrked great at the beach and the AT PRO was a lot lighter swining all day compared to my ETrac

I actually had a 705 before upgrading to my ETrac.... if you got some cash to spare.... get the Etrac..

I agree with Smudge. Get a Tesoro Vaquero or Outlaw. Light as a feather and best warranty in the business!