Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Looking for advice. If you were me would you dig?

OK here's the deal. This morning I went to a site that was a social hall in the late 1800's to do a little detecting. The chimneys and fireplaces that were on both ends of the building still stand but that is all. It is located at the outer edge of a public park and MD'ing is OK there and the grounds staff is very friendly. I'm not scared to dig there (responsibly of course) at all, that's not why I am asking. What I'm asking is it worth digging. I get a null every few feet with my E Trac and 6x8 SEF and on many swings get more than one null. Some of the nulls when approached from one direction will also give a rather good sounding tone, like there may be something good down there with the iron. The thing is though, in the area the size of normal house or slightly bigger we're talking probably 50+ nulls that also have a good sound before or very near the null. I was there about an hour and a half this morning and dig not dig any of these hits. I know that many times, especially in hard hit parks the silver found by Minelabs is coming from holes with iron and other trash that previous detectors could not get. Is this what I'm looking for? What would you do?

It sounds like you don't have that many hours detecting in the iron with your machine.

Many of those signals will be just plain old iron, but iron definitely will mask treasures. It's simple....if you choose not to dig, you're always going to wonder what you left in the ground. The only way to build experience hunting in iron is to dig those signals until you get a better feel/understanding of the falsing of iron and good targets next to or underneath them.

Don't be shy....dig those signals.....it's like playing the lottery...you're never going to win if you don't play.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan