Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Looking for Advice on New Detector Purchase

Cliff KS

Don'r really need a new detector, but I'm getting the itch to try something new.

Considering a T2 Classic, an AT Pro, or a Makro Racer 2.

I mainly hunt old farmsteads and yards, mainly for coins/tokens. Soil is mild in my region. Do have to deal with quite a bit of iron, not much in the way of modern trash like tabs, bottle caps, foil, or can slaw.

Would like to hear from those who have experience with any/all of these machines, including recommendations on coils that gave you better results, whether brand of detector or aftermarket.

Thanks!

T2 Classic is the one !!...... You will love the iron discrimination.

Anything from the T2/F75/F70 platform should work well in that soil.
I used an F70 in Kansas and Missouri and had a huge amount of success in insanely heavy iron infested sites using 3 coils but the 5" DD sniper worked the best...and easily reached targets between the 8-15" depth area using the big F75 DD coil in other sites.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?37,2137593,2138226#msg-2138226

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?37,2322233

Had a friend that used a T2 and rarely took off the sniper because he said it seemed to get just about as deep as the big coil and perfect for his kind of hunting.

Quit fooling around and get serious Etrac

the T2 is a fantastic detector.. i nice christmas sale now going on.. get extra coil and rechargeable batteries for 4-500 bucks..

I love my at pro with 5x8 coil. I hunt similar places here in west central ks. It has done well even in lots of iron. Put on the 5x8 coil and you'll never take it off.

Minority opinion- definitely the Racer 2! Its a better all around, newer machine! T2 is a golden oldie and certainly no slouch in several niches. At Pro can do several things very well AND is waterproof for 3 meters. The Racer 2 is just newer, better tech. IMHO, of course. Nevermind that I am correct. :detecting:

Racer 2 is definitely an iron hunter. My problem with it was the audio. I could take it for no more than 20 minutes at a time at the heavily iron infested sites I hunt before my ability to process the information in the audio responses shut down. The constant audio stream of iron sounds blending with the non-ferrous tones, running together over time, was not my cup of tea. I did make some nice finds in old hunted out sites. As good as it is and it is good, if were to add one back into my stable it would get little use. My recommendation would be to try one out in heavy iron for an extended period of time before making the purchase.

T2 gets my vote,maybe getting on but still produces decent finds,after my Deus its prehaps my all time favourite machine,setting up takes seconds and then you are off out detecting,still using mine after many years and with 1000s of hours on the clock,but it has certainly found me my best celtic gold staters and many silver hammered coins.

Just back from the holidays. Thanks to everyone for their input. After thinking about it a while, I believe the Racer 2 costs a little more than I'm wanting to spend, so it will probably be between the T2 and the AT Pro ..... or I may wait to see what new models come out this spring. if Makro comes out with the Impact, maybe some will be selling their Racer 2's to try the Impact and then maybe I could pick up a used Racer 2 at a reasonable price. As you can tell, I'm having a hard time making up my mind.

I found a nice used Racer 2 last month. Definitely happy with it. Comes to hunting in iron, the AT Pro will be left behind. Only advantage the AT Pro has is the ability to submerge it. I don't hunt underwater so that is no benefit to me. Racer 2 with their wireless headphones is a great combo.

I have owned and used all 3. They are all good detectors. My choice would be the T2. I still have my T2, the others were sold. I even upgraded to the T2 LTd SE, and love it even more. Keep in mind i am not a coin hunter per say. I do find them occasionally. My main concern is raw depth WITHOUT FALSING.

I bought a makro racer 2 with 3 coils its a solid performer but I want use it enough to justify keeping it so im selling it.

I have owned and used a few machines over many years detecting.

The XP Deus is the way to go.

I purchased mine over 7 years ago and have never looked back.

The lightness and recovery speed changed both my detecting pleasure and finds rate.

Its a super lightweight detector and many the UK detectorists seem to own one these days.

All upgrades are issued free by XP and obtained through the internet.

Alain Loubet the company owner listens to the users and brings about changes that make sense.

Thats why he as progressed, while other companies have stood still.

Iam in the hobby for the historical finds and exercising my body and mind.

Having said that my Deus has paid for itself many times over.

Happy Hunting.

Jerry.