Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Looking for input on use of the GPX-4000 for finding deep coins

Bill D. (VA)

Been searching a site here in Virginia where 2 silver coin spills have been found dating from 1550-1650. The deepest coins we have recovered with our White's MXTs were from 12-14". We feel confident there are others deeper than that. I was told that a GPX-4000 might be able to help us. Does anyone have experience digging deep coins with this machine? What is the maximum depth that you could expect to find a quarter-sized coin in very low mineralized, sandy soil? If this detector would appear to work for this application, anyone know if these can be rented? Appreciate any help.

There are new coils from coiltek called "goldstalkers". Check the link and read about how deep these new coils claim to go on a small silver coin.
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?27,657171,657171#msg-657171
Cheers!

Any of the Minelab SD or GP machines will get you more depth than you are getting with the MXT. Although, I must say, 12 to 14" is mighty impressive for an MXT. If you were to put an 11" or better yet, a 14" mono loop on any SD or GP machine, I would expect you could get at least another 25% on a quarter sized coin. Keep in mind that in order to hear those deep ones, you are going to have to learn the machine. It's not turn on and go. It's obvious you have learned to get maximum depth out of your MXT. The same will apply to the Minelabs. And of course, there's no discrimination so dig everything. They actually tend to go deeper in mineralized soil but I dont' think you'd have a problem where you are. And I doubt you could find one to rent, especially back East. They're a prospecting machine and that's pretty much confined to the west coast. However, you could pick up a pretty good deal on a used one on Ebay and then re-sell it when you are done.

Digger Bob

Actually, I normally only get about 10" or so of depth with my MXT on a quarter using the relic mode. However, when I was playing around the other day doing some air testing, I realized I could get a couple more inches from the prospecting mode. Not sure why, but it seemed to work. Had some trouble getting used to the sounds, and the fact that it reacted to every small bump and scrape, but I did find the first coin in the cache that way. I was also using the S12 coil which I don't normally do, although it only improves depth by about an inch. I believe your statement that I could only expect another 25% improvement in depth with the Minelabs even though I've seen some ridiculous claims (a three pence at 30"). Anyway, guess I'll just keep plugging away with the MXT for now. Thanks again ..... Bill

Hi Bill if you will go back to 3/5/07 on this forum you will find a post by Ironhearted Gog a fellow from the UK that found a horde of Celtic gold coins. I chatted with him a little but I am sure if you PM him he will tell you of his experiences with his GPX 4000 and what coils he is presently using...Geo

alaskaseeker said:
Hi Bill if you will go back to 3/5/07 on this forum you will find a post by Ironhearted Gog a fellow from the UK that found a horde of Celtic gold coins. I chatted with him a little but I am sure if you PM him he will tell you of his experiences with his GPX 4000 and what coils he is presently using...Geo

here it is

I've recovered coins from over 2' using a GP 3000 and after market coil's (mother lode area)

Actually the Minelabs PI's from the gp's on do have iron discrimination when using a DD coil. Depth is dependent on coil size with Coiltek's Mother Ship coming in at 20" x 40" (in DD Mono and Anti-Interference) Nugget Finder has a 25" round (DD and Mono) Whites new TDI will accept Minelab aftermarket coils. There are a few other deep seeking PI.s on the market. Take a look at what Accurate Locaters has to offer. Try a google search or on youtube.

IMHO the best bang for the buck would be a Minelab SD 2000. I sold a brand new(ya still in the box) one a few months back for 800$ With the TDI a close second.

nvchris