Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

looking for Monte's advice on idx pro m-6 mxt

I have an idx pro i bought new and i like it very much, i have read and agree with your posts on the idx pro, 'mine is not modded' but i have had very good luck with it. I also own a prizm 6t that i don't like as much overall as the idx pro and a dfx which I've owned since 06 and its been a learning curve but it's growing on me. Anyways i have read with great interest your many positive posts on the the m-6 and was looking for your opinion if it would be worth while for me to look into getting one. would i gain enough over the prizm and the idx pro to make it worth while? i don't think i need the mxt as all i do is mainly coin hunt although i like the mxt i just don't think i really need the extras when i have the dfx. I am just looking to have a turn on an go machine that's easy to use, and will help fill the gap between the idx pro and the dfx. Yours as well as everyone Else's op ions would be great! thank you all and also thank you Monte for taking the time to post so much great advice!

The M6 will give you a little depth over the unmodded IDX Pro. It also has depth readout and Tone ID. If you're mostly hunting coins in parks, tot lots, and schools, I'd get the M6 and give up the Prizm and IDX. If you're hunting iron infested sites, keep the IDX. Either way, the Prizm won't help you over the M6 or the IDX.

What ever you do,

....Don't give up your IDX Pro, one of White's best efforts, they are great working in any kind of trash with the 5.3 BullsEye coil, ferrous and non-ferrous. I have handled a few modified and unmodified IDX Pros and can honestly say that if the ground balance was properly set, they performed very similar. Also, when the ground balance is set just a tad positive, it rarely needs further adjustment, not touchy at all. About the only time they need a ground balance adjustment is when changing coils or radical changes in ground mineralization. The IDX pro along with a few Tesoros are my favorite kinds of detectors for working trashy sites, the IDX Pro is a little deeper though. The Tesoros that I refered to are the older ED-120 Tesoros like the original Bandido, Bandido ll and Toltec ll that do just a tad better in the iron. There are quite a few people that like the DFX, I had one, it just would not perform like my old XLT. The XLT was another favorite of mine, I'm sorry I traded it for the DFX. I just like the simplicity of knobs, as you can tell in my signature line. That's just my opinion and best regards. HH

Thanks Tom I was thinking of moving the p6t down the road. I don't plan on parting with my idx pro pretty fond of that one! I think i'm leaning towards an m6 purchase.

And Thanks Hombre as well, i prefer knobs and switches myself as well. When i was 12 i started out with my uncles old whites tr66 goldmaster or nuggetmaster? Then i bought a new classic three plus several years later and on graduation day i bought my all time fav the idx pro. Seems to me the m6 is the next step in line with out getting all kinds of fanciness that i don't need. I'm not a fan of the dfx myself i have read the manual the books and the forums, put in countless hours running it and i will agree maybe after all the trials and tweeks it's still not set just right for me. Either way i'm not giving up yet just looking to find another old faithful like my idx pro.

Part with the Prizm 6T and DFX, keep the excellent IDX Pro, and pick up a excellent M6. Then you'll have two excellent detectors and thin out two maybe good units.

The Prizm 6T, like the Coin GT that replaced it, is an 'OK' coin hunting detector. It is easy-to-use and has enough features for most people who just want a simple coin hunting unit. However, you already had a good and simple coin hunting unit with the IDX Pro. The Prizm 6T did provide you with a back-lighted display, if you had a use for it, but the main benefit was it provided a very fast automated Ground Balance. The drawback was it has segmented Discrimination unlike the more fine-tune type of variable Discrimination on the IDX Pro. I prefer a variable, knob-set Disc. control.

The DFX was a step into the future of design technology, and I applaud those who bought one and liked it. I didn't, having owned four DFX's, as they never matched the performance I got from the many XLT's I have owned, and compared them side-by-side many times. For those who use an XLT or DFX or VX3 or V3i, and have figured out how best to milk the performance they want to have with two of three set programs they use, then maybe they are content with them.

However, let me share this with you. I have a few friends who have had the DFX. Two of them started with the DFX. One no longer has the DFX, but does have a Minelab Explorer II, Classic 5-ID, and a modified IDX Pro. I just got a call yesterday from another who bought a DFX in July of 2010. In January of 212 he got an IDX Pro, mounted the 5.3 BullsEye coil, and hasn't looked back! Had a better year with it than the prior 17 months with his DFX. He just made a straight trade of his DFX for an 'as-new' MXT Pro, and I'm sure he will really appreciate the two-detector set-up of the IDX Pro and MXT Pro.

Another had the DFX, tried to like the DFX for coin hunting, but just didn't feel 'comfortable' with it. Wanted knobs and simplicity, but while the IDX Pro could do that, he also wanted Coin Depth, VDI numbers, but still keep it simple. The answer? White's M6. i used to use my XLT for 'cruising' big open park areas, but I had the M6 and IDX Pro along that I used more often. I used the IDX Pro, or other Classic series model, for working the wood-chip playgrounds or hunting the really ugly nail infested sites. Yes, the M6 and MXT's can do that as well, but the Classic's do it better and quieter.

But for most any coin hunting task, the M6 is an excellent detector, to be sure. For years I would have a few detectors in my arsenal, to include an XLT, MXT, M6 and Classic series model. The M6 got grabbed for the bulk of my day-to-day coin hunting. Some have asked why, and I just tell them it's simple and it has the7-Tone audio ID. Then I qualify that by reminding folks that it is there, but I only use it occasionally. I prefer the single-tone audio most of the time. That changed after White's brought out the MXT Pro.

For me, the MXT Pro filled a few needs, such as having the 7-Tone audio ID of the M6 (s I parted with the M6), yet all the needed function of the basic MXT (so I sold my MXT), plus I really liked the Ground Grab feature, and especially the excellent Back-Lighted display because I hunt after dark a lot in town, but especially during the hot summer months when the desert ghost towns and other scorching sites get miserable during the high heat. I mainly hunt into the night, and through the night, so the display works fine.

A final reason is that sometimes I hunt in an All Metal mode (Prospecting), but mostly use this function in a seminar to show how and why things work. For many people, like my 41 year old son, the M6 is more than enough detector to handle all of their hunting needs. Like his Dad, his 95o stays mounted on a spare lower rod for a trip to the beach or another more open location. The 6

Sounds like the new White's SST might fill the bill for you if park hunting is what you are after and it comes stock with the 6x9 coil which should be stock on any MXT or variant. IMHO.