Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Looking for my next Tesoro:surrender:

Habanero

Any suggestions?

I'm after coins and jewelry; mainly coins unless it's a site that is likely to hold some jewelry. Mild Texas ground, not after deep silver either. It would be nice but there just isn't any here like there is up in the Northeast:thumbdown: I'm trying to wean myself off of screens and multi tones for a bit because I think I'm passing on good targets by letting the screen tell me what it thinks is in the ground. I've owned several of the Tesoro models in the past and most of them I regret selling. I cut my detecting teeth on a silver umax, owned some compadres, tried a Vaquero once, owned a Deleon, Cortes, Outlaw and Tiger Shark. Out of those I least preferred the Outlaw, Cortes and Vaquero. The Outlaw just had issues with the retune button and found myself fiddling with it and wondering if I was getting it right or not. The Cortes, small screen. Vaquero I tried just did not sound very pleasing with it's tone. I'm leaning towards the Tejon for my type of hunting, that and I haven't tried it yet out of my many Tesoro's. My favorite coin to dig up is a nickel and I'm thinking if I can set the dual discriminators up just right then I hope it will be killer on nickels. Also like I can adjust the tone on it to suit my ears. I'm bummed that the clean sweep is no longer offered for the delta series as I'd like to add that coil to my arsenal for sport fields. Also thinking about a Deleon again as it was pretty accurate with it's TID but then I feel like I'm relying on a screen again. Another Compadre wouldn't be out of the question either; just not exactly a depth demon but I'd likely mod it to accept other coils....such as a clean sweep:thumbup:

Any reason's to try one over another, revisit a past fond friend or avoid one or another altogether?

The Tejon is a fantastic detector, very good all around machine. As you mentioned you can change the pitch/sound on the Tejon & they now offer the Cibola and the Vaquero with either a low tone or high tone.

For whatever it's worth or not, I bought a used Vaquero that came with the low tone and had it changed to the higher one. I much prefer the higher tone, but that may just be me.
BB

i use a vaquero. though the tone is not the most pleasant, it is a darn good all round detector. has everything you need and nails coins well. depth wise is good also. a few weekends ago i dug a intact copper jacketed 45 bullet that was down well past my wrist. i know some get carried away with the depth they claim. so, conservatively i say it was 9-10 inches without actually measuring it in dry sandy soil. last year i got a 1857 half dime at every bit of 7 inches deep. im happy with it.

I would try a Tejon. It's probably my all around favorite Tesoro for relics. The Silver microMax with a Cleansweep is my favorite modern coin and jewelry hunting setup hands down.

If you're basically after coins and jewelry, why go with the Tejon, which is essentially a relic machine?

For what it's worth, Monte recently listed his all-time favorite Tesoros on another site: Bandido (original), Bandido II uMAX, Eldorado uMAX, Silver Sabre uMAX and the Diablo uMAX. With the exception of the Diablo, I think they'd all be great for coins and jewelry.

berryman said:
If you're basically after coins and jewelry, why go with the Tejon, which is essentially a relic machine?

For what it's worth, Monte recently listed his all-time favorite Tesoros on another site: Bandido (original), Bandido II uMAX, Eldorado uMAX, Silver Sabre uMAX and the Diablo uMAX. With the exception of the Diablo, I think they'd all be great for coins and jewelry.

I'd love to try a Bandido II umax or the Eldorado umax but those are not current production, hard to find in good condition and bring a premium price when they can be found. I'd also like the warranty that comes with a new machine. To answer the question regarding why the Tejon; there are several reasons. I've not tried it yet, the dual discriminators cannot be found on any other Tesoro and feel that it's like having a notch feature, kind of anyway, I think I'd like the trigger switch for checking targets and the pinpoint. I'm not sold on it yet, just my list of pluses. Can you tell me why not to consider it over other units? Tesoro website says it was mainly designed for coin and relic hunters. I'm not trying to be argumentative, just wondering what the others have over the Tejon or even the Lobo ST for examples sake.

I have the LST and I like it a lot for small jewelry...very sensitive. Some won't use it because they hear that it doesn't go as deep for coins as the Tejon or Vaquero...but it goes deep enough for me. It is a very capable unit for coins and jewelry...uses the Vaquero and Tejon coils as well (4 pin). Also can be configured to make it very ergonomically useful with any coil size. Hope this helps...HH.

Charles

I have used both the Vaquero and the Tejon and settled on the Vaquero. It runs more stable then the Tejon and ground balances easier. With the settings I use it also seems to be just as deep. My friend uses the Tejon now and whenever we go hunting together the Vaq consistantly outperforms it. A lot of it has to do with putting the coil over the target but when it consistantly does it it makes you wonder. I would save the 150 bucks and go with the Vaquero and get a compadre for tot lots and such and never look back.

If you haven't tried the Tejon and want to try one, go ahead. May or may not be what your looking for, there's only one way to find out.
There will always be an eager buyer for it, if you decide to sell. You may want to switch to a smaller coil if you get one.

All good points to consider and the vaquero keeps coming back up as a top pick, but I'd have to have the high tone version. I was partially kidding about the Lobo ST but now that you said it works great as a jewelry/coin machine then I might have to consider it. Question, does the auto ground track also work in the discriminate mode or just in the all metal modes?

Ground tracking only works in the am mode on the LST.----The disc side has a pre-set gb.
Habanero said:
All good points to consider and the vaquero keeps coming back up as a top pick, but I'd have to have the high tone version. I was partially kidding about the Lobo ST but now that you said it works great as a jewelry/coin machine then I might have to consider it. Question, does the auto ground track also work in the discriminate mode or just in the all metal modes?

Habanero said:
Looking for my next Tesoro, any suggestions?
Yes, seriously think about all the sites you'll search, then decide if you'll always hunt in the silent-search Discriminate mode or perhaps use a true, Threshold-based All Metal mode at times. I know I make use of both search modes. Finally, consider finding a good condition former model and not just a currently made or brand new unit.

Then consider search coils. I feel it is good to have at least two coils, and maybe a third, that will suit the different site conditions you'll encounter. Then, once you have picked a detector and coils, devote ample time afield to learn the detector well. I know many Tesoro's have worked well for me, both for Coin Hunting as well as Relic Hunting, for 32 years as of July. I've owned and used other brands, and parted with many that couldn't match the performance in dense iron nails that the Tesoro's handled well. I've always tried to keep at least one favorite Tesoro in my personal arsenal.

Most competitive models featured visual Target ID or audio Tone ID, but it was easy to conclude that in a densely littered site there was too much masking of good targets to rely on their "part time" usefulness. I've owned many make and models, multiples of some I liked or even some I tried to like, but almost a third-of-a-century now, I would say the bulk of my modern coinage was found with a Tesoro, and I can guarantee you that a good 80% or more of my old coins and choicest artifacts came by way of using a Tesoro. No Tone ID. To Target ID. No Notch Disc. Just good old 'simple' but 'proven' performance. Proper GB, highest Gain I can w/o falsing. Lowest Discriminate level I can tolerate. Then it's just a matter of 'Beep-DIG!'

Habanero said:
I'm after coins and jewelry; mainly coins unless it's a site that is likely to hold some jewelry. Mild Texas ground, not after deep silver either. It would be nice but there just isn't any here like there is up in the Northeast :thumbdown:
Regardless of the direction you travel, are there silver or other older-date coins that might be located 'deep?'

Yes, but in most cases their depth isn't what we always read about. In the detecting hobby I have noticed that "depth" kind of has a "mistaken identity," if you know what I mean. If there has been build-up due to fill material, decades of grass clippings and/or decayed leafage, then some older coins might still be out there. Sometimes coins are a little deeper than normal due to 'displacement,' such as field or lot plowing, or garden or yard tilling, or heavy vehicle or animal traffic especially in a wet or muddy condition.

Otherwise, in most typically searched, human activity locations, most of the older coins are gone because those who got into this great sport in the early era cleaned out a lot of what was there. No, we didn't get it all, and No, we didn't have the most design technology back in the '60s and '70s, but detectors did work, and I believe more people who got into detecting in those early days and took it seriously, learned their detectors and how to get the most performance out of them and the best results. We had less modern trash, and far less higher-conductive discarded litter to deal with as well.

I've hunted in that mild Texas dirt, as well as many states with varied 'dirt' Back east, in the Mid-West, and mostly out in our very mineralized Western States. Been enjoying the sport for over fifty years now. Most coins have been, and usually still are, in the surface to 4" range and most 'deep' coins are an honest over 4" to perhaps 8". Yes, I have found some deeper, but not often. The main ingredient isn't trying to imagine how deep a detector will go, but site selection. All of the Mercury, Barber and Seated Liberty dimes I have recovered in the past year have come from the same depths as those I found during the '70s, '80's, '90s and up to the present, and that is surface to ±4", ... and mostly - not + the 4" mark. Site selection.

Habanero said:
I'm trying to wean myself off of screens and multi tones for a bit because I think I'm passing on good targets by letting the screen tell me what it thinks is in the ground.
I am certain you have passed by, or at least not made any recovery efforts for many good targets that just didn't look right or sound right according to the detector's visual and audio ID system. It's a weakness that can effect us all, and I include myself in that list of many because I know there have been times I got frustrated with myself for over-reliance on a visual read-out.

The best route to success is keeping the Disc. level as low as tolerable, and with most of my favorite Tesoro models that is at the minimum setting with their ED-120 Discrimination range. That's enough to reject most ferrous trash and anything that gives me a 'good' or reasonably 'iffy' audio 'beep,' I recover it and take a look. Then I know what it is, and can decide if it is good or bad.

Habanero said:
I've owned several of the Tesoro models in the past and most of them I regret selling.
I have been in that same predicament, but I have been making a change to correct that blunder. My good old 'original' Bandido should have arrived at the Tesoro service department yesterday or today to get a little modest repair and then be returned to me while I'm on my ghost town jaunt and a little This is the first repair work on that original Bandido which still works like a champ.

I can send it off for service because I have now been rebuilding my detector arsenal of all-time favorite Tesoro's. I have been looking for a few of them for years and just about four weeks ago I got a pristine condition Silver Sabre µMAX from a fellow for $150. He had another Tesoro that he said didn't sell at his yard sale so I bought it as well for $250. That was an equally perfect, 'as-new' condition Bandido II µMAX. Not a bad deal on a hard-to-find pair, in their condition, for $400 total.

Tomorrow UPS will be delivering a Silver Sabre II, and on Monday a Bandido II will be delivered to my son's house when I am on a trip to Utah. While on this trip I should get my original Bandido delivered from Tesoro, and it is the more used and aged-looking of them all, but I'll have all fived of my prized Tesoro's with me on my return home from vacation. Until I pass away, these all-time favorite five Tesoro's will be in my arsenal and I won't part with any of them. Good used Tesoro's are out there to be found, with the exception of these five proven performer models.

Habanero said:
I cut my detecting teeth on a silver umax, owned some compadres, tried a Vaquero once, owned a Deleon, Cortes, Outlaw and Tiger Shark. Out of those I least preferred the Outlaw, Cortes and Vaquero. The Outlaw just had issues with the retune button and found myself fiddling with it and wondering if I was getting it right or not. The Cortes, small screen. Vaquero I tried just did not sound very pleasing with it's tone.
Did you use them all enough to learn them well? Have a preference for any one of them? Which search coil did you use most often?

Habanero said:
I'm leaning towards the Tejon for my type of hunting, that and I haven't tried it yet out of my many Tesoro's.
Haven't tried but want to try it is one good reason to get a Téjon.

Habanero said:
My favorite coin to dig up is a nickel and I'm thinking if I can set the dual discriminators up just right then I hope it will be killer on nickels.
Tinkering with the dual Disc. function can be almost time wasting like relying on visual TID, and can also lead you to ignore or miss hearing many good targets while trying to isolate one particular coin type. I had three Téjon's and never liked using the dual Disc. in that fashion, or really at all. Instead, I like to hunt with the ability to quickly change from All Metal search to Discriminate, or Disc. to All Metal, and that meant locking the Primary Disc. control in All Metal, then searching in the Alt. Disc. 'mode' and checking in All Metal.

Habanero said:
Also like I can adjust the tone on it to suit my ears.
That was my favorite Téjon adjustment feature.

Habanero said:
I'm bummed that the clean sweep is no longer offered for the delta series as I'd like to add that coil to my arsenal for sport fields.
So, why not just shop for a 'standard' frequency Tesoro if you really want to use a Clean Sweep coil? Pretty simple fix for that desire.

Habanero said:
Also thinking about a Deleon again as it was pretty accurate with it's TID but then I feel like I'm relying on a screen again.
I'd pass on that preset GB model as it has limited TID function, and would still cause you to rely on that more .... the result being good targets not recovered.

Habanero said:
Another Compadre wouldn't be out of the question either; just not exactly a depth demon but I'd likely mod it to accept other coils....such as a clean sweep :thumbup:

Any reason's to try one over another, revisit a past fond friend or avoid one or another altogether?
I'd also pass on the Compadre and doing a mod. If you really want to hunt with a Clean Sweep, get a model that is ready-to-go and will accept that coil. I'd suggest a model with GB adjustment because the coil's can vary. If you lie ED-180 Disc., look for an Eldorado.

Habanero said:
I'd love to try a Bandido II umax or the Eldorado umax but those are not current production, hard to find in good condition and bring a premium price when they can be found.
My four newer Bandido's were all out there for someone to snag. It just means look everywhere you can, and be ready to buy or trade to get what you want.

Habanero said:
I'd also like the warranty that comes with a new machine.
You had a Silver µMAX, owned some Compadres, tried a Vaquero, a DeLeón, a Cortes, an Outlaw and a Tiger Shark. That's at least 7 Tesoro's. Ever send them in for service? Are they all sold or traded away? If so, what good was the Lifetime Warranty? I have owned and used more Tesoro models than any other brand except possibly White's, and I have now, for the first time, sent a Tesoro in for repair because a battery clip is broken. Tesoro detectors have been very reliable performers with better durability and fewer failures than most brands I have monitored.

Habanero said:
To answer the question regarding why the Tejon; there are several reasons. I've not tried it yet, the dual discriminators cannot be found on any other Tesoro and feel that it's like having a notch feature, kind of anyway, I think I'd like the trigger switch for checking targets and the pinpoint.
Notch Disc., regardless of the design, can hamper finding many desired targets. But if you really want to try one, why not?

Habanero said:
I'm not sold on it yet, just my list of pluses. Can you tell me why not to consider it over other units?
I can't give specific reasons that you might understand, but I can tell you that having owned three, and I know what they can do, I have had better success, better [size=small](cleaner and quieter)[/size] Discrimination with other Tesoro models, and I hunted side-by-side with two of them and the Eldorado I had, using the same size search coils, and I get better depth with the Eldorado.

Habanero said:
Tesoro website says it was mainly designed for coin and relic hunters. I'm not trying to be argumentative, just wondering what the others have over the Tejon or even the Lobo ST for examples sake.
Yes, the Téjon can be used for all applications, as can the Lobo or Lobo SuperTRAQ. I used the LST as one of my primary-use detectors for about a year back ion '99 to '00 with the round 8" Concentric donut coil and it did well. What I didn't like, however, was that auto-track was only a function in the All Metal mode. The Disc. mode has an internal GB preset. Also, it was a little heavier.

My suggestion is to just pick a Tesoro model you might like, current production or a little older, then get a couple of coils and go hunting. If you have some good sites, then all you need is a good detector. I would suggest the Vaquero over the Téjon, but I would like the higher tone so far as audio, but the Vaquero just doesn't have the design set-up I prefer. Good used models are out there, and you just might find a choice unit before I do. ;)

Monte

Apparently you cannot receive private messages yet, so I will post this here.
Hi,
Thought I'd write since you are one of the few people who have had both and seem to like the Vaq better. I have had the Vaq about 3 years and like it except for the fact it doe not seem to go deep enough in my soil to find minnieballs at 8 to 10", at least using low DISC. With AM, I can get a signal, but with all the iron around, I wind up digging too much junk. What is you experience with both machines, and what settings do you use on the VAq? Thx,
Andy from Hillsborough

@Monte,as usual a quality reply with great indepth answers,that can only be gained from years of experiance.

Monte, thanks for weighing in regarding my indecision on my next Tesoro detector. You've helped me in the past and I appreciate your time once again. Okay, to give some feedback for thought given what you have said:

Yes, seriously think about all the sites you'll search, then decide if you'll always hunt in the silent-search Discriminate mode or perhaps use a true, Threshold-based All Metal mode at times. I know I make use of both search modes. Finally, consider finding a good condition former model and not just a currently made or brand new unit.
I will never say never, but don't intend to use the all metal feature on a given machine unless it is in some aid to me to pinpoint the target under the coil with accuracy. I'll likely be living in different parts of the country next year and having the ability use an all metal function for nugget hunting would then be beneficial.

Monte said:
Did you use them all enough to learn them well? Have a preference for any one of them? Which search coil did you use most often?
I'd say the answer to that question is a big no. Although I'd make decent enough finds with one of my tesoro's, I would foolishly sell it thinking a more expensive model of Tesoro would help me with better finds or dig less junk. Then I thought another brand with more bells and whistles would allow me to dig less junk and find only what I wanted to find by watching screens and listening for nickel or high tones. I'd not had long enough with any of my tesoro units to learn that famed "tesoro language" that everyone touts.

As far as preferences go, I liked the Compadre for it's simplicity, small coil and easy to reach discriminator knob. The Tiger Shark was a favorite as well for in the lakes and regret that thinking an AT Pro would be better for that type of hunting. I really liked the broad discrimination range on the Outlaw but could have done without that button; suppose I could have just used the switch itself but I liked the machine well enough. The Vaquero was impressive except I prefer a VCO pinpoint and did not like the tone of the machine.

I preferred the smaller coils if available for a machine. Some of them I did not purchase additional coils but would use the stock 9x8.

Monte said:
So, why not just shop for a 'standard' frequency Tesoro if you really want to use a Clean Sweep coil? Pretty simple fix for that desire.
Simply because out of what was available in the epsilon series, only the Outlaw had some of the features I preferred such as adjustable ground balance. Problem was I was not understanding the uses of the button such as for pinpointing and retuning. Caught myself wondering if I had pushed it in just far enough or too much or just what had happened there.

Monte said:
I'd also pass on the Compadre and doing a mod. If you really want to hunt with a Clean Sweep, get a model that is ready-to-go and will accept that coil. I'd suggest a model with GB adjustment because the coil's can vary. If you lie ED-180 Disc., look for an Eldorado.

Just one of my preferred units here, minus several features that I want but would have to add myself. I prefer the ED 180 discrimination; does this not come with the Outlaw as well? I liked the sensitivity to small gold that the Compadre has and was hoping for a general use type of detector that could hunt coins, jewelry but still also pick up small nuggets when and if I found myself in prospecting country. I know that is a tall list but whites mxt pro does all the above and several people have had success using a Vaquero, Tejon and even Compadre for nuggets if the opportunity arose.

Monte said:
You had a Silver µMAX, owned some Compadres, tried a Vaquero, a DeLeón, a Cortes, an Outlaw and a Tiger Shark. That's at least 7 Tesoro's. Ever send them in for service? Are they all sold or traded away? If so, what good was the Lifetime Warranty? I have owned and used more Tesoro models than any other brand except possibly White's, and I have now, for the first time, sent a Tesoro in for repair because a battery clip is broken. Tesoro detectors have been very reliable performers with better durability and fewer failures than most brands I have monitored.

I know, lots of past Tesoros and regrets with selling and/or trading them all away! Yes, I've sent in a couple for service as well as a coil but I find it to be the exception and not the rule. Good point about that lifetime warranty sir.

Monte said:
My suggestion is to just pick a Tesoro model you might like, current production or a little older, then get a couple of coils and go hunting. If you have some good sites, then all you need is a good detector. I would suggest the Vaquero over the Téjon, but I would like the higher tone so far as audio, but the Vaquero just doesn't have the design set-up I prefer. Good used models are out there, and you just might find a choice unit before I do. ;)

If a deal came along then I'd be inclined to try an older model but given the current line up, it's either the Vaquero (in high tone) or Tejon in the HOT series and looks like the epsilon coil series would be another Outlaw with the option of using a clean sweep coil as it is available. What, may I ask, did you dislike about the Vaquero? Regarding the Outlaw, why did you not keep it in your Tesoro line up versus the Bandido II umax?

Monte quote "All of the Mercury, Barber and Seated Liberty dimes I have recovered in the past year have come from the same depths as those I found during the '70s, '80's, '90s and up to the present, and that is surface to ±4", ... and mostly - not + the 4" mark. Site selection."

I'll go along with your "site selection" is being the reason for such shallow old coins? I "assume" you are definitely not hunting most the usual public arenas most of us find ourselves in half the time such as older schools, ball fields, parks, etc? I'll guess 90% of the OLD coins I find are always 5-9" range if in the public arena. Private yards or a possible virgin site out in the boonies being the occasional exception?

Not trying to argue or disclaim what you mentioned but MY experience, especially in these recent times, is the OLD coins IN THE PUBLIC areas are mostly deeper..... And I believe the bulk of us spend quite a bit of time in the public arenas. Just thought I'd bring this up so some of the folks don't think they'll be digging lots of shallow nice old coins in the local park after reading your statement?

Habenaro said:
I prefer the ED 180 discrimination; does this not come with the Outlaw as well?
No, the Outlaw uses the ED-120 Discrimination. Other than the Téjon and Lobo SuperTRAC and Compadre, the other land-based model, and my personal favorite with ED-180 Disc., is the Eldorado [size=small](µMAX size version)[/size].

The Outlaw uses the same Discrimination range as the Bandido, Bandido II and Bandido II µMAX.

Habenaro said:
I liked the sensitivity to small gold that the Compadre has and was hoping for a general use type of detector that could hunt coins, jewelry but still also pick up small nuggets when and if I found myself in prospecting country. I know that is a tall list but whites mxt pro does all the above and several people have had success using a Vaquero, Tejon and even Compadre for nuggets if the opportunity arose.
The White's MXT Pro and Makro Racer and Nokta FORS CoRe are all very good, multi-purpose detectors that can work quite well for Coin Hunting, Relic Hunting and even Gold Nugget Hunting. They all provide some form of visual Target ID and audio Tone ID, however, and that was something you were trying to work away from. I had very good results, with the right search coil, in Nugget Hunting areas with the Tesoro Eldorado, and it also did well for both Relic Hunting and Coin Hunting.

Matter-of-fact, there are only two Tesoro models I might still get to add to my detector battery, and one of those is the Eldorado. I don't need it, but it is my favorite ED-180 Disc. Tesoro model.

Habenaro said:
What, may I ask, did you dislike about the Vaquero?
I had a couple and didn't like the lower audio tone they had. Also, I like 'simple', but I also like 'functional,' and when it comes to having two search modes, the Vaquero was a let-down. With all of my Tesoro's I can select an All Metal search mode without having to change my Discrimination level adjustment to switch to an All Metal mode then re-set my Disc. adjustment level. Also, I found the models I now own seem to reject trash targets a little 'cleaner' than the Vaqueros did, for the iron infested sites I usually hunt.

Habenaro said:
Regarding the Outlaw, why did you not keep it in your Tesoro line up versus the Bandido II umax?
I prefer the audio tone of the models I now have, with my impaired hearing, and I like to switch to the modes with the Bandido's more than I like the pushbutton system of the Outlaw. Also, I liked all but one of the Bandido series models and I wanted to get the other two, send my 'original' in for service, then just kick back and enjoy finding stuff. It's a flashback to the good old days when there was a lot out there to be found and I gathered up what I could .... simply! Because I also like the Silver Sabre II and Silver Sabre µMAX, I added them to my shopping list as well. :)

Monte

... 'site selection' was important.

Yes, most of the older coins are from:

ghost towns
homesteads
railroad depots/sidings
stage stops
mining camps/towns
logging camps/towns
private yards
church grounds
picnic groves
camp sites
barns
parking strips and overlooked medians, etc.
orchards
old, and some current, fruit stand sites
old sports sites like soap box derby tracks, sledding hills
rodeo grounds
dirt spots behind/around structures in older parts of town business areas

and the list could go on ...

But I'll include current use parks and schools which still reward me in recent years, just as they did from '65 to about '75, forty to fifty years ago.

Yes, that's right, the other parks and schools people hunt today on a regular basis [size=small](well, kind of since there are very few people involved in the hobby today as there once were)[/size], I just pick the parts of the parks and schools I work my way into. Like I said, "site selection!" I look for older parts of parks and schools, or sports fields, that are now overgrown or just sort of ignored by the maintenance folks, and even ignored by the public. Most silver dimes and quarters, Buffalo nickels, Indian Heads and early wheat-backs are still in the surface to 4" range.

Many of the more heavily used places where you might thing have had activity in the past for old coin loss, but are still used today, often have enough shallower trash that, if there were deep coins, they could be/would be masked ... most of the time.

I also keep an eye open for any renovation work or vacant lots and similar sites in any urban location.

Yes, I sometimes find a 'deep' coin, but that's in the over 4" to about 6" or maybe 7" depth range, and seldom, in all the years I've enjoyed the sport, have I plucked a deeper coin to 9", and the deepest two were about 10½" and a silver half at 10½"-11". I can get out and hunt the big open parks and such like I used to, or put in a lot of time wandering about large areas, so I confine what detecting I can to to easier-access and potentially promising places.

Monte