Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Looking for opinions on mid size DD coils

Tagamet

Hi,
I'm relatively new to using an Explorer II, but love the machine. I have a 5 inch Excellerator coil and a 15 inch WOT coil, but the stock coil went nuts and needs to be replaced. I'm just asking for opinions on which mid-sized colis people like, and why. Something in the 8 to 12 inch range would be good and I prefer the DD coils to concentrics. Weight of the coil is a bit of an issue, but performance is most important. I have a Swingy Thingy for the WOT, but if I can avoid using it, it's one less thing to fool with.
Thanks in advance!
Tagamet
lgeguzis@kcsd.us

You would love the 5x10 Joey Coil then. It is super light and gets great depth. I use it in high trash areas and do very well with it. It is my second coil I use other than the stock coil. I also have a 12" Sun-Ray X-12 coil that is super light. I haven't used this much yet due to doing exceptionally well with the other coils, but Rick(ND) uses one of these and it has since replaced the stock coil. It all depends if you are needing a smaller coil for the weight issue or trash conditions. I know I wouldn't be able to go without my Joey Coil, that is just how well it works. Hope that this will help you out and decide on which coil to get. Good Luck and HH. P.S. The Platypus Coil I here is another good coil.

[quote James N.D.]You would love the 5x10 Joey Coil then. It is super light and gets great depth. I use it in high trash areas and do very well with it. It is my second coil I use other than the stock coil. I also have a 12" Sun-Ray X-12 coil that is super light. I haven't used this much yet due to doing exceptionally well with the other coils, but Rick(ND) uses one of these and it has since replaced the stock coil. It all depends if you are needing a smaller coil for the weight issue or trash conditions. I know I wouldn't be able to go without my Joey Coil, that is just how well it works. Hope that this will help you out and decide on which coil to get. Good Luck and HH. P.S. The Platypus Coil I here is another good coil.[/quote]

Thanks! I was looking at the Joey, but it's not waterproof. I have a Platypus on the way (used) and am still torn about which 8 inch or 12 inch coil.
Thanks again for the info,
Tagamet

If you want something for the trashier area then the 8 inch coil even though you have the 5 inch coil for the super trashy site. If the coil is to replace the stock coil the X12 would be my choice. I have the 5 inch coil for the super trashy site, the Joey for most of my hunting need and the X12 for the places I would use a stock coil as it has more coverage and less weight then the stock coil.

Hi Tag,

I think you will like the Platypus, I use one all the time except for beach work, I find the Platypus pin points great and I very seldom have to resort to the X-1 Probe.
All my finds in the park have been with the Platypus.

Good Hunting.....Boony

[quote Rick(ND)]If you want something for the trashier area then the 8 inch coil even though you have the 5 inch coil for the super trashy site. If the coil is to replace the stock coil the X12 would be my choice. I have the 5 inch coil for the super trashy site, the Joey for most of my hunting need and the X12 for the places I would use a stock coil as it has more coverage and less weight then the stock coil.[/quote]

Excellent info! Now, how would this read if you knew I had a Platypus coil (I don't actually HAVE it yet, but it's to be sent soon).
I'm so torn between the 8 inch and the 12 inch Sunray coils that I might just HAVE to buy both (eventually). I have an extremely trashy site that goes back to the early 1800's, and the 5 inch coil does let me pick through the trash, but I'm not getting enough depth to find *anything* older than 1965 (other than very deep screeching rusty nails). The 8 inch coil should get me a bit more depth, but also "see" more of the trash. Same concerns/benefits with the 12 inch coil, only on a larger scale.
HELP (lol)
Tagamet

Am trying the 4.5x7 DD an my XS. Found it best to use fast only and then go slow with it. Havn't used it enough to really know it yet.
Seems to be hot. Will let you know what I find out.

I use 10.5 DD coil and it has excellent depth. The vast majority of coins are surely within it's reach IMO.
HH!

I feel even though you got the Platypus coil i would look into a 8 inch or a Joey coil for the moderate trashy site as you have the coil for the heavy trash and I know the 12 inch and the Platypus is also good in some trash,but for a over all coil the Joey or the 8 inch coil in trash when you want the depth.